Betting Talk

Gus Bus Coming to Ark State?

SunBelterSunBelter Senior Member
edited December 2011 in Sports Betting
Man the rumors are insane here, saying Gus Malazan is close to accepting the coaching job here at ASU. That would be a home run hire if it turns out to be true.

Comments

• MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited December 2011
    Considering he is making 1.3 million at Auburn go ahead and mark me as skeptical, although i don't know what the ARk st job pays.
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited December 2011
    250k after incentives last year for Freeze, I think. Jury is still out if this guy can coach, IMO. I don't think his scheme fits the SEC well so maybe that has something to do with it as well.
  • SunBelterSunBelter Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    MikeRAS wrote: »
    Considering he is making 1.3 million at Auburn go ahead and mark me as skeptical, although i don't know what the ARk st job pays.

I have a source that I trust 100%, and he just told me 30 minutes ago, its a done deal, hes agreed to terms. Package should be in the 6-800K/yr range. Very exciting news, I would trade Freeze for him any day of the week.
    edited December 2011
    horn wrote: »
    250k after incentives last year for Freeze, I think. Jury is still out if this guy can coach, IMO. I don't think his scheme fits the SEC well so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

He can coach. Im not sure JC himself could succeed at Ole Miss the next 2 or 3 years. Its almost a no win situation right now. I hope he is good at saving his money.
    edited December 2011
    5 yrs, 750K per year, 2 million buyout. May or may not include a house and cars also.
  • JB531JB531 Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    Bruce Feldman via twitter: "Nobody in media knows Gus better than GS"

George Schroeder: "Malzahn to Ark St has legs. Might not happen. But yes, it absolutely could."
    edited December 2011
    Press conference at 3:30 tomm to introduce him as the head coach at Ark St. I may not sleep tonight, lol
  • JB531JB531 Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    hard to believe that auburn won the national title last year. shows how a lot can happen in just one year. Malzahn flirts with Vandy, UNC, Kansas and takes Ark St?? Congrats sunbelter. Great hire for yall
  • BettorThenMeBettorThenMe Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    Belter where did A State come up with $? I had heard previously that $500,000 per year was the max ASU could offer Freeze. Here's a stat for you, Hogs and Red Wolves were a combined 20-4 this season, the 4 losses were to #1 LSU, #2 Alabama,#9 Virginia Tech,and Illinois. How many state's can say their two flagship university's combined to win over 80 percent of their games.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    Sunbelter-- I know Malzahn is an Arkansas guy, but are you concerned about hiring a guy who will probably jump to better job after 1 or 2 years? Of course, if they keep winning, and coming up with more $$ for the coach, the Ark St job could become better. Especially after they join the 32-team Big East. (Remember-- you heard it first right here)
    edited December 2011
    Sunbelter-- I know Malzahn is an Arkansas guy, but are you concerned about hiring a guy who will probably jump to better job after 1 or 2 years? Of course, if they keep winning, and coming up with more $$ for the coach, the Ark St job could become better. Especially after they join the 32-team Big East. (Remember-- you heard it first right here)

Absolutly not. For years Ark St has been a place where coaches stay forever, and average performances have been accepted, because "ASU couldnt do any better". When a coach stays at a mid major to long, especially in a smaller town like Jonesboro, he builds to many close friendships, and you end up with poeple supporting the coach, over the university. You wouldnt believe the idiots in this town who fought tooth and nail to keep Dickey Nutt and Stever Roberts here, because "they were nice guys, and went to church every week." I want a coach with some ambition, that can make this a desirable place to coach. Plus, Gus has a 2 million dollar buyout, which would help them pay for a new coach.
    edited December 2011
    Belter where did A State come up with $? I had heard previously that $500,000 per year was the max ASU could offer Freeze. Here's a stat for you, Hogs and Red Wolves were a combined 20-4 this season, the 4 losses were to #1 LSU, #2 Alabama,#9 Virginia Tech,and Illinois. How many state's can say their two flagship university's combined to win over 80 percent of their games.

That is a pretty cool stat Bettor, plus UCA had a very good season on the FCS level. $500-550 was the max they were willing to go on Freeze. I'm not sure where the extra money is coming from, but I have heard some Little Rock money is involved in the deal.
  • hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    How good is this guy????? People are acting like he is Parcells or something. Auburn wanted him out.... maybe the truth is somewhere in between?
  • BetATLBetATL Super Moderator
    edited December 2011
    As an Auburn fan I was a little concerned about how sustainable Malzahn's offense could be in the SEC.

Obviously last year the offense was impressive but I think Cam was just the perfect storm for that style and I'm not sure Auburn will ever see another QB as good as he was.

The most frustrating thing for me was not being able to line up in the I-form and run the ball SEC style when needed. I think the mis-direction helped but when it became too constant and good D coordinators and fast SEC defenses (like Bama/LSU) adjusted to it fairly well.

One good thing is that the free'd up money can be used on a D-coordinator, which hopefully Auburn we'll be able to bring in a big name.