Betting Talk

Small market owners rebel against Stern...

cachemancacheman Member
edited December 2011 in Sports Betting
...get ready for Occupy Large Market NBA Teams! I can already see the less wealthy owners setting up tents and protesting on the billionaire owners lawns.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Al7tH5RyB56dA_Yra3dXbW68vLYF?slug=aw-wojnarowski_chris_paul_lakers_hornets_nba_120811

Comments

• hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    For smart people they are makig a major mistake with this decision. The Hornets are going to have nothing to show for Chris Paul after this season. But trade him today and they have a pretty good amount of talent coming through the door. yet the owners are crying foul on the big market teams that they are holding them hostage? This is absurd. By not allowing the trade you are setting the Hornets up for years of misery. I don't get this decision at all.
  • cachemancacheman Member
    edited December 2011
    There is something wrong with your sport and/or your fan base when small market teams aren't allowed to compete. The Packers and Steelers win Super Bowls, but the Pirates and Bucks are hog tied. The NBA and MLB need contraction and revenue sharing.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    this trade made the Hornets better in the long run and the Lakers trade away one of their star players along with one of the best 6th men in the league. the reasons for not allowing this trade are garbage and stern looks like an ass.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    Im still trying to understand what is going on. So, I read a few days back that the league gave the controls over the basketball operations to whoever the current GM of the Hornets is. It was said he could do as he pleases with the team. So he goes out and makes what seems to be to be a good deal for Paul. And what some owners were upset and now its not happening?!!? I understand the league "owns" the Hornets, but what kind of precedent does this set? I mean come on, what is this a fantasy league where some "owners" are mad about a top tier team landing a big name during the season and the other salty "owners" bitch to the commish and the trade is vetoed. I know its not the same...but those type of leagues are always the worst kind. This is embarrassing for the NBA. And now what are the Lakers supposed to do with Odom and Pau?? They are in a position where now they have to deal them and could take less value b/c they are in such a spot. TYPICAL NBA...what a mess!
  • RickPetermanRickPeterman Member
    edited December 2011
    The problem is that there are too many small market teams. Some of them should be contracted, the first being the Hornets. They need to have an equal balance where there are enough really good players left over that cannot find spots on the big market teams. Cut the NBA down by 4-5 teams and things balance out a lot better.
  • BigfistBigfist Member
    edited December 2011
    There needs to be about 8 teams in the NBA. Same for MLB. 75% of the teams in both leagues have no chance to compete.