Betting Talk

Adam dunn kkkkkk

BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
edited August 2011 in Sports Betting
Can someone give me an intelligent answer to why OG mgr CWSX use ADAM DUNN as a DH.
This guy is brutal and his stats prove he is a heartbreaker with men on base. He has struck out over 120x this year so far and left tons of men on base.From 2001-2009 he struck out 1,759 times, don't have last years, his highest BA for his career was 267. Am sure he is getting paid handsomely for not producing. WHY? Why doesnt GUILLEN bring up some kid from AAA and should have traded for a DH and get rid of this BUM...:huhsign:

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    Good question BayOcean and I think it has to do with personalities here. IMO, Ozzie is a lame duck manager waiting for the FL job, which is essentially his. He's playing the hand that GM Kenny Williams dealt. There is no love lost between these two. Might be Ozzie's was of 'showing up' the GM. Dunn's record versus lefthanders is beyond obscene.
  • LUCKY777LUCKY777 Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    All-time leaders - Strikeouts per at bat

Pete Incaviglia .337
    Larry Hisle .329
    ADAM DUNN .319
    Dean Palmer .319
    Reggie Jackson .294
    Bobby Bonds .292
    Willie Crawford .280
    Troy Glaus .279
    Sammy Sosa .277
    Rick Monday .276
  • lentellentel Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    I would have thought Dave Kingman was in there somewhere
  • awfulorvawfulorv Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    Mark Reynolds is being overlooked methinks...
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited August 2011
    LUCKY777 wrote: »
    All-time leaders - Strikeouts per at bat

Pete Incaviglia .337
    Larry Hisle .329
    ADAM DUNN .319
    Dean Palmer .319
    Reggie Jackson .294
    Bobby Bonds .292
    Willie Crawford .280
    Troy Glaus .279
    Sammy Sosa .277
    Rick Monday .276

That list is old. He is now at .334 but this is really his first bad all around season. He is a true power hitter and there are very few around. If you can hit 46,40,40,40,40,38 and 38 HR's, hit for an ok average and walk a ton, I don't give a shit how often you strike out. Outside of Ryan Howard's 2006 season, you could have put Dunn in his spot any other year Howard has had in the majors and the Phillies wouldn't have even noticed. Outside of this year for Dunn, there has really been little difference between the two except that Howard has had a million more RBI opportunities. Howard is at .316, his K rate has dropped the last couple years but so has all his power numbers. Add to that a decrease in walks almost every year(people don't walk him intentionally anymore because they realize how easy it is to pitch to him). I've told people that if this year is just a hicup for Dunn(in his defense, some people can't DH), he has every bit the chance of making the HOF as Howard. Take out that one year for Howard and they are pretty similar hitters except Dunn walks a ton more. They are the same age and Dunn has 90 more HR's.

Mark Reynolds is in his own category. He's been a little better this year, lowest K rate of his career but still higher than Dunn's career rate.:)
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    All well and good Stevie, but you failed to mention the extra tacos that Dunn's been eating offseason. He's put on some weight.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited August 2011
    Ronbets wrote: »
    All well and good Stevie, but you failed to mention the extra tacos that Dunn's been eating offseason. He's put on some weight.

Yeah, he has some extra weight. I think part of that is being the DH, especially if you have never done it before. You take a couple swings and go pick your ass for 50 minutes. I've done it twice and I never want to do it again. Yeah those guys can go down in to the batting cage and swing but that can do as much bad as good. I defend 1st time DH's because it isn't easy to do(unless you have no desire at all to play in the field) but he knew signing with the White Sox that he wasn't going to get many games at first so it isn't a Michael Young situation where he is being forced into it. He knew what he was in for, I think he underestimated how tough it is. My main point was it isn't like he has been a waste in his career. He has been very consistent for the most part. I don't think anyone could have imagined that it would be this bad.
  • BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    STEVIE:
    Your stat argument is well taken. My emotional thread was generated by watching him constantly fail to move runners along while facing left handed pitchers and of course I was playing OVER CWSX. Ozzie appears to be dis-interested and is constantly checking out the beaver crowd more than paying attentition to business. I still think DUNN is overweight over the hill overpaid non productive major league player...
  • SnakeheadSnakehead Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    I tried to post a comment last nite but hit the BacktoForum button instead of PostQuickReply button and didn't want to retype.

I'm sure it is difficult for the powers-that-be to have a $12 million salary riding the bench, and it is probably better to play thru a slump than sit out, even if it is a 4 month slump. I would hope he is spending a lot of time w/the hitting coach, OR even using some of his own money to get a personal trainer, and hitting coach, and anyone else that could possibly find out what he is doing different this year. I was also going to comment on his 7 straight years hitting 38 or more dingers, and 364 career HR's at the age of 31.

The ChiSox are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Can't trade him for anything of value, and can't pay someone $12 million to jackoff in the locker room during the game.