Betting Talk

Has anybody turn $20 into 5K

ChrisTChrisT Senior Member
edited January 2011 in Sports Betting
I am a low limit player. When I say low limit I mean low limit. I put $200 into a book in Oct and it is now only at $800. This balance is due to guys like ff, 85, newcombe, stevieY, horn, GURU, nightlife, Deli, NEJim, Okie and a few others I'm sure I'm missing. Just grinding everybody's picks at 1 to 2%. Yesterday I figured why not try to roll over $20 to 5K in a week. Improbable yes, but not impossible. Guys go on streaks all the time. Just wondering if anybody has any good stories rolling it over and over. Also if anybody has any suggestions for tonight's play.
So far yesterday I played:
Miss Valley/TX Southern (StevieY) $20 into $40
SA/GA (Nightlife) $40 into $80
80-160-320-640-1280-2560-5120 Only 7more.

I figured I'd give this a shot with no regrets and if it doesn't pan out it will right back to the 1 to 2%. The figures above aren't exact because I will adjust for the vig to ensure only a max of $20 lost.

Comments

• spiCAPspiCAP Member
    edited January 2011
    taking a shot at 9 in a row huh? good luck to you

anything's possible, right?
  • drnoxdrnox Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    No, but I did turn a $200 deposit (plus a bonus) into about $30k in just 1 year.

Early on I wasn't using sound money management, but the stakes were low enough that I didn't care. I probably got a little lucky for the first $1k or so. After that I used pretty damn good money management and worked it all the way up. I started trasferring my money to other books so I could take advantage of many different sets of lines and use other bonuses. Long story short, I made a nice amount in just a year and still am working off this money today.

Horn and some others may have helped a bit. :)
  • AlpineAlpine Junior Member
    edited January 2011
    I turned 6k into $158, and then that $158 into 14k at sia last year. Went on 8-0 run and then never looked back. Then they booted me.
  • BomberBomber Member
    edited January 2011
    2 years ago i put 50 bucks into bookmaker to play poker i won a small tournament and had 170 to play with.. i saw edwards footballs in a forum.not knowing who ras was. i noticed the line had moved on his picks played them for 50 bucks.. 100 200 ..than basket ball came i signed up starting with edward and played 500 than 700 a game cashed in 11 large.. thanks again edward
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    It's doable We have all won 8 in a row It isn't 5k but it's close
    $22-$20 =$42

Add $2 $44-$40 =$84

Add $4 $88-$80 =$168

Take$3 $165-$150=$315

Add $4 $319-$290 = $609

Take$4 $605-$550 = $1155

$1155-$1050=$2205

Take$5 $2200-$2000 = $4200

If my adding is right it looks like an investment of $20 to win $4200-$20 Profit $4180 for 8 in a row. I'm going to try it and start a thread with my one play and amount bet.
  • ChrisTChrisT Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Old-Timer. I'm going to continue in this thread with my picks to see if I can get it some legs. I'll be on the third leg tonight. Looking over the card nothing really jumps out at me. Might just go with one picks on the board or nothing at all.
  • kmherring3kmherring3 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Turned a dime into 70 dimes about 4 years ago using the martingale system at blackjack in Harrah's Nola. Turned 50 into 2250 playing online poker.
  • BullsliveBullslive Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    i remember having war emblem and proud citizen in the derby in 2002 2.00 exacta paid 1300.00

i had it on 3 tickets got close to 3900.00 if i remember
  • BubbadogBubbadog Member
    edited January 2011
    In 2006, I turned 2K into $0
  • StrangeKatStrangeKat Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    I turned $150 into $15,000 worth of gambling and then some at BM, it sits at about 1k now..
    edited January 2011
    3rd Leg: Guru has been warming up so I will roll with his 5* play.

Cle/Bos OV 197....with the reduced juice at my book I got it at 86 to win 80. If it hits I will continue this on tomorrow. If not....back to the grind.

GL to OldTimer and Jaanis as well.
  • dtrain11dtrain11 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Might be worth noting that StevieY has U 100 for the 1st H. Either way good luck.
    edited January 2011
    Thanks to the Guru that is three in a row. Shoot for four tomorrow.
  • sportsjunkiesportsjunkie Member
    edited January 2011
    Had a $500 open ticket on War Emblem to win the triple crown at at 10-1 after he won the derby. used $500 to hedge the Belmont race and hit the triple, exacta and late double to win $74,000. I took a chech to show that it was a true story. Only used Sarava because his father beat me in the Breeders cup (Wild Again), before the race I said to myself, I've seen this movie before. I don't think the horse ever won again.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Not quite $20, but I started my career with a 3-figure deposit to bet NBA player props around 2001 when the lines were absurdly soft. I eventually made a couple more small deposits to other books with similar props, but my total initial investment had to be less than $2-3K. I slowly turned that into a bankroll and a career as I learned about sports betting and the offshore industry and branched out into following winning cappers and other areas. Of course, the overall market was infinitely softer back then.
  • jeffblanksjeffblanks Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    im also a limit player il put in $50 at a time, i had a great run a year ago turned the 50 into 2k, then being stupid n not cashing out i decided to bet big such as 400-600 a game....
  • dsgatordsgator Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    I have turned 50 into 2k as well a couple times and only 1 time did i cash out. I used to bet a lot of games and when you get hot you get hot and it only took 5 days to turn 50 into 2k and was a total of 21 bets but i only lossed 2 games i went 19-2
    edited January 2011
    4th leg: NO/GW OV 196.5.......got it at 160 to win 150. This ensures a max of $20 lost on this quest for nine in a row.

It pains me a little bit to play a NO over but I liked it when I saw it and saw that nightlife liked it so why not. Looking for a 105-95 final in favor of GSW.
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    When we had a lot more golf options in the US, I often scored 10K+ hits on tournament winners. Some with only putting $50-100 at risk. That being said, I rarely bet outrights anymore.
  • 1adam121adam12 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    had a buy in at bodog for 400 and turned it into 17k playing black hack in 4 hours. of course that was after losing like 20k in BJ on tiheir site in about a year. Guess they felt sorry for me....this was like 2005
    edited January 2011
    ChrisT wrote: »
    4th leg: NO/GW OV 196.5.......got it at 160 to win 150. This ensures a max of $20 lost on this quest for nine in a row.

It pains me a little bit to play a NO over but I liked it when I saw it and saw that nightlife liked it so why not. Looking for a 105-95 final in favor of GSW.

NO really surprised me. I don't think NO put up 112 in a game all season. Shooting 62%/getting 60 points in the paint helps.

Let's go for five today.
  • Merlin21Merlin21 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Like what you are trying to do. Subscribed to thread
  • HskrtcHskrtc Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Hey Chris..been following the thread. I also put about $50 in at a time. curious to know how you went about increasing it by that much. not looking to do the $20 one, but do you just play those listed in your first comment and play 1 to 2% of bankroll each?
  • stepbystepstepbystep Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Great Idea Chris. Going to start my own thread to try to do the same. Only that I am going to include Half Props, and all Sports. A win is a win. See how it goes. Any way... good luck to you.. looking good so far.
    edited January 2011
    Hskrtc wrote: »
    Hey Chris..been following the thread. I also put about $50 in at a time. curious to know how you went about increasing it by that much. not looking to do the $20 one, but do you just play those listed in your first comment and play 1 to 2% of bankroll each?

Hskrtc,
    I've been following BT since '09 taking in everybody's knowledge and reading books suggested in different threads. Beginning of Oct '10 I jumped and put $200 in an account. Money management has been a constant theme here at BT so I wanted to see if it/I could do it. At the beginning I was literally playing $1 - $4 wagers, $4 being a big play. Trust me it wasn't easy. Over the last 4 months I have grinded out $600 (300% return) following the cappers here on BT. Every play has been 1-2% of bankroll.(I know some of you are thinking, WOW BIG MONEY). I make a comfortable living and just wanted to see if it could be done. Also, I try very hard not to follow blindly. If I find myself making a good argument for the other side I do not play.

This thread was started on Monday mostly as an outlet because I think I was going a little crazy with the "grinding". It takes a lot of will power not to say to yourself. "The whole board is on this play...It's a lock" and put half your bankroll on it. It's just not that easy. So I figured I'd take $20 this week and try to flip it 9 times for 5K for shits and giggles.
  • HskrtcHskrtc Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the response. I've found myself struggling not making the bigger plays. Started doing the same thing roughly, had about 100 was doing 2.5% following specific people and built it up to almost $300, so i got cocky and started making bigger plays. So that didn't work so well. Going back to the grind again with set % on plays no matter how many people are on it or how good i think it is. I do this more for entertainment, but want to see if i stick to a certain % and just follow certain people how big i can grow my bank roll. I know it will take time and i just need to keep from straying from the system.
    edited January 2011
    Couldn't make a decision and probably should have passed but....went with the MIA/NY OV213. Lost value bc it opened at 211.5. 295 to win 285.

Checked my log and played MIA and Over last time MIA played at MSG. Hit with MIA but NY didn't carry their weight with a 34 point second half. Lebron playing at MSG on four days rest + Knicks really want this one + a little luck. Hope it is an enjoyable game to watch.

Some of you might be seeing a trend here. OV, OV, OV, OV....I must admit I am squarish...I'm still new at this and getting the hang of it plus who doesn't like overs. I must admit I enjoy the grind a little more then trying to pick out one play. In the beginning it was easy because it really didn't matter and I was looking for an outlet but now that I'm half way there it will be a lot of second guessing. Enjoy.

GL to Oldtimer, stepbystep and coops