Betting Talk

$1 billion in profits in 2010

buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
edited January 2011 in Sports Betting
I just read that 68 college football teams earned $1 billion in profits in 2010....

I was very shocked when I read this....I can imagine maybe a few teams that make that much, but 68 teams!!!

I just thought it would be good forum material...

anyone have any thought??

Comments

• TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited January 2011
    I think you misread it. Maybe 68 teams combined for a billion in profit, but I can't see how a single team would be even close to that number.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    I thought the same thing, but I read it over a few times and it came from a financial news print.
  • rmbullisrmbullis Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Maybe $1 billion just isn't what it used to be...ask Pelosi :D
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Based off the 2009 numbers from the Equity in Athletics site, all division 1A football teams combined for 2.58 billion dollars in Revenue (not profit). And remember that's spread over 120 programs, and not taking into account any type of expenses. Either the article is wrong and you may be misreading it.
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited January 2011
    There are only about 15 universities that show ANY PROFIT on their college football programs each year.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Maybe the article of wrong.....that's why I was so surprised when I read it!! Seem like it was way too much!
  • BIGtimerDCBIGtimerDC Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    horn wrote: »
    There are only about 15 universities that show ANY PROFIT on their college football programs each year.

Horn may I ask what exactly you're considering revenue? All things considered I find it incredibly difficult to believe that only 15 universities return a profit on their college football programs... Between the big 10 and SEC there has got to be 15 easy with TV deals etc... I could see this maybe in athletic programs in general since most sports do run at a deficit and at most big schools the profits from football are spread across to cover the losses of other sports.
  • SnakeheadSnakehead Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    And I thought I heard that the football programs are so profitable at most schools that they help fund the other sports, and especially the women's teams, which usually are not profitable for any school, but they have to have women's teams because of Title IX.

Found this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/30/the-most-profitable-colle_n_802810.html#s217320&title=undefined

#1 Texas football - Revenue: $70,838,539
    Profit: $52,529,885