Betting Talk

Which is a better streak?

Deli314Deli314 Senior Member
edited December 2010 in Sports Betting
I had a conversation with friends a couple weeks ago when the first of Brett Favre's many injuries occured. The question arose, What is a better streak? Ripken or Favre? So I ask this great forum... Which is better? Ripkens 2,632 or Favre's 297? Give your opinion and reason.

Comments

• firstclassfirstclass Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    ripken , not even close his season 162 games a year,, farve 16 a year.
  • redraiderredraider Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    I think Farve. Not missing a game of football for almost 20 years playing qb!
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    i lean favre but hard to really measure... foots is much more grueling, especially as the qb. neither record will be touched though IMO as they are both incredible feats.
  • Deli314Deli314 Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    I would have to say Ripken. Yes, football is more grueling and Favre's streak is incredible, but there is time to rest and heal in football. Ripken played every season with very few off days, and during those off days, im sure he was at the stadium working out and hitting in the cages.
  • InsiderInsider Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    Go look at all the QB's who suffered some kind of injury and could'nt play the next week since Favres streak started.

The list looks like the new york city phone book

is playing shortstop dangerous ?
    edited December 2010
    Thats a very good point. The question is not which is more dangerous, however. My point is to play 2,500+ consecutive games with not much rest ( other than off season) is mentally and physically draining. Football is a much more physical sport dont get me wrong, but you always see players some weeks not practicing at all and then playing on Sunday. They have time to heal and re-cooperate a little more than baseball players.
    edited December 2010
    Do you really need a lot of rest to play baseball ? Can't you get enough rest sitting in the dugout chewing gum, eating seeds and drinking coffee ?? The only player on a baseball team that has a physically demanding job is the catcher.....When you look at all the QB's that have started during the duration of favres streak and you see all the injuries they suffered some being very serious..it's mind boggling favre never missed a start for all those years....and you know he was taking the needle and eating the vicodin to deal with the pain and keep going.

What pain did Ripken play through ? when did you see Ripken lying on the field and you thought "wow" he wont be in the lineup next game or maybe ever again
  • BIGtimerDCBIGtimerDC Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    Yea I have to say Favre. Not taking anything away from Ripken, but unreal streaks. But it is way more impressive to me playing quarterback. Involved in every offense play obviously, taking a beating many times a season. Just look at all the QB injuries and how many go a full season playing all 16 games. Keeping a starting job that long is impressive in itself but to start every game going through the pain week in and week out and to play at the level he did for so long. Not a huge favre fan but gotta give it to the guy.
    edited December 2010
    Insider, you act like im sitting here saying Favre's streak is nothing to be proud of. You must be a Green Bay or Minnesota fan or a Brett die hard! Yes Favre played with many injuries but Ripken played in the heat of summer. At times he might be on a road trip where he plays 10 games in 10 days in 4 different cities, playing in 100 degree heat everyday. Then he comes back home and MAYBE, just maybe gets the day to rest when I am sure he was at the ballpark working out and doing certain things to get ready. Its just as grueling of a season in the MLB to play every single day without getting benched. To not sit out one game is pretty amazing. ***Please again note*** I am not coming at Favre or his streak. Thank you!
  • Wire2WireWire2Wire Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    GREATEST STREAK GOING IS CHICAGO CUBS NOT BEING IN A WORLD SERIES...lol...w2w
  • BiggTBiggT Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    Both unreal streaks and I can't select one over the other. The difference to me is how classy a guy Ripken always was with no drama. I liked Favre from day one when you could see how much he loved the game and gave it all. All the drama about retiring the last couple of years and all this media coverage really takes away from very fond Favre memories.
    edited December 2010
    Ripken played in the heat of summer are you serious ??? Baseball isnt a game where you have to be in constant motion...it's a baseball game lol they sit in the dugout and eat ice cream bars for 30 minutes and wait for their turn to bat...when was the last time you saw a baseball player pass out due to the heat ? Football players have died practising in the heat..its a way more physically demanding game
    edited December 2010
    Alright this is the last I am going to say about this... 1. stop disrespecting the game of baseball with all your ice cream and coffee comments. 2. if and when Peyton Manning breaks Favre's record which would occur in the 2016 season, are you still gonna defend your boy Brett as it being the best streak and better than Ripken's??? Because I know the most games played in baseball hasn't even reached 1,000. 3. If that day when Manning breaks the record comes, is that streak going to be frowned upon because he wasnt injured every week, or decided to retire then come back, then retire then come back. 4. If Ripken didnt play in the heat of summer, then i dont know where you live, ohh thats right Canada! Enough with the numbers but to play baseball at a high level and HELP his team like Ripken did for that many consecutive games is unreal. My point being here, for example just this season is that Favre has played 12 games this year and has thrown 18 INT'S. IMO, he has embarrassed himself over these past years but I am glad he kept the elusive streak alive! ***Please again note*** I am not coming at Favre or his streak. Thank you!

The current longest streak in the Major Leagues is Matt Kemp with 204 consecutive games. He would have to play 14.9 consecutive seasons starting this year to catch Ripken. Manning has to play six more seasons to catch Favre and thats not even counting if they change the format to 18 games! Just some food for thought
  • ringo44ringo44 Member
    edited December 2010
    Insider wrote: »
    Ripken played in the heat of summer are you serious ??? Baseball isnt a game where you have to be in constant motion...it's a baseball game lol they sit in the dugout and eat ice cream bars for 30 minutes and wait for their turn to bat...when was the last time you saw a baseball player pass out due to the heat ? Football players have died practicing in the heat..its a way more physically demanding game
    Are you serious? Playing almost every day for around 6 months is definitely draining on your body. Day games after night games, fouling balls off your body, jamming fingers, getting hit by pitches, tweaking joints or muscles. These are some of the things that he had to play through without a day to rest it or get therapy. Shortstops see a lot of action in the field and have to avoid runners coming in spikes up trying to break up double plays. Just because you don't get tackled doesn't mean you can get injured.
    I think it's amazing that Favre never broke anything or was too severely injured to play and his streak is definitely impressive. Though I'm not sure continuing it was always in the best interest of his team. I think they both require incredibly tough individuals and a good amount of luck.
    edited December 2010
    Ripken didn't have three hundred pound D linemen pounding on him. There is no comparison. Ripken had wear and tear, but he didn't have collisions like an NFL QB. Favre is the ultimate iron man, he will be the measuring stick. All things must pass, as George Harrison said.
    edited December 2010
    Are you really comparing tweaking joints or muscles to the pounding a NFL QB takes ?

Both streaks are impressive....but favres is hands down more impressive in my opinion

im not a favre fan either
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    Deli314 wrote: »
    Alright this is the last I am going to say about this... 1. stop disrespecting the game of baseball with all your ice cream and coffee comments. 2. if and when Peyton Manning breaks Favre's record which would occur in the 2016 season, are you still gonna defend your boy Brett as it being the best streak and better than Ripken's??? Because I know the most games played in baseball hasn't even reached 1,000. 3. If that day when Manning breaks the record comes, is that streak going to be frowned upon because he wasnt injured every week, or decided to retire then come back, then retire then come back. 4. If Ripken didnt play in the heat of summer, then i dont know where you live, ohh thats right Canada! Enough with the numbers but to play baseball at a high level and HELP his team like Ripken did for that many consecutive games is unreal. My point being here, for example just this season is that Favre has played 12 games this year and has thrown 18 INT'S. IMO, he has embarrassed himself over these past years but I am glad he kept the elusive streak alive! ***Please again note*** I am not coming at Favre or his streak. Thank you!

The current longest streak in the Major Leagues is Matt Kemp with 204 consecutive games. He would have to play 14.9 consecutive seasons starting this year to catch Ripken. Manning has to play six more seasons to catch Favre and thats not even counting if they change the format to 18 games! Just some food for thought

you realize you did start this thread asking peoples opinions and that is what you are getting deli :). everyone is entitled right? You are obviously on the side of ripken and some others favre and lets face it no one can really answer this question - both amazing feats and will never be broken.
  • ringo44ringo44 Member
    edited December 2010
    Insider wrote: »
    Are you really comparing tweaking joints or muscles to the pounding a NFL QB takes ?

Both streaks are impressive....but favres is hands down more impressive in my opinion

im not a favre fan either

I never said he took the same amount of punishment as Favre. I didn't even say which streak I though was more impressive. You were just rather flippant when speaking of Ripken's streak as if anyone could do it.