Betting Talk

Some NFL thoughts

BookiefitsBookiefits Senior Member
edited January 2009 in Sports Betting
I have seen this phenomenon for several years now and it looks like it is happening again.

The teams that play in the Wildcard game and win always seem to get a lot of love the following weekends games, kinda like people forget why the teams that DIDNT play last weekend have the bye.

Baltimore looked very good against the fish, but Miami had a TERRIBLE matchup against the Ravens. The Titans played very unispired football down the stretch, and some injury concerns have given this game a very short line. It seems like people totally disregard the fact that Flacco is a rookie playing one of the best Ds in the league.

Arizona looked great against a road team who was not very good on the road all year..and had a rookie QB to boot. The truth is that Arizona now goes on the road to play a TRUE pipe hittin hard running team..as good a 1-2 punch I have ever seen in the NFL. The Panthers also have a dangerous secondary and physical corners and safeties to match up against the Cards big receivers.

Philly basically dominated a one dimensional Vikings team who could have the worst coach in the NFL. Childress is terrible and should be fired. They now go into division foe NYGiants house and if they sell out against the run vs Eli they will pay very very dearly. Philly has been playing very well but they are running into an absolute buzzsaw in New York.

San Diego has been playing quite well, but the Colts are just not the same Colts. Phillip Rivers was less than impressive last week, and fortunately Sproles had the game of his life. Might be a different story going on the road to cold weather Pittsburgh this weekend. Lets not forget that the previous matchup had the exact same line as it does this weekend, and may go down in NFL history as one of the most crooked ATS covers there has ever been with the replay fiasco at the end of the game.

Pitt, Tenn, NY and Carolina are all basically the same teams. Dominant defenses and running games, and flawless special teams play. They also have had a bye week and two weeks to practice and get healthy.

The point of this post is that it seems that after the bye week people generally forget about the reasons why the four home teams had byes...each team had at least 11 wins. Not taking away from the other teams here, but there is a huge edge for the home teams this weekend and just watned to remind the board not to take last weeks performance of some of the wildcard teams as an example of how they will perform against better competition.

Comments

• Mrtk31Mrtk31 Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Great food for thought!
  • ShacroShacro Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Living in the Baltimore area, all you hear is how the Baltimore Ravens have a good shot at beating the Titans. I would refer to your third paragraph. Flacco is still a rookie and he played awful against an average Miami secondary. Now he will travel to Tennesse to play against one of the best defenses in the league? Give me a break. Baltimore has a good defense but so does the Titans - people don't seem to remember that around here. They're all already talking about a third shot at the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC title game...yet they havent even seen the Titans in the playoffs.

Nice post.
  • Pingeye2Pingeye2 Junior Member
    edited January 2009
    Excellent write up !!!
  • jw118877jw118877 Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    good shit right there bookie.
  • creamcream Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Good stuff Bookiefits... Can we get a poll going on which roadie advances to the next round? I don't see all three home teams winning (outright), lets see which road team the board favors to get to the next round. (Homer play for me....)
  • BookiefitsBookiefits Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Call me square but I think the home teams go 4-0 this weekend. The best chance to win? The Eagles, based purely on the fact that it is a division game and teams know each other very well.
  • guetsguets Member
    edited January 2009
    Respect your opinion Bookie. Maybe last year was an abberation but the teams with byes went 1and 3 Vs. the spread. GB won and covered vs. Sea., N.E. did not cover vs. Jack., Ind. lost outright to S.D. and Dall. lost outright to the N.Y. Giants. Always feel this round of playoffs are great games to watch and really hard to bet on. GL