Betting Talk

Ncaa Week 3 Picks

the_kidthe_kid Junior Member
edited September 2008 in Sports Betting
Navy (+1.5) vs Duke- Duke struggled against a mediocre Northwestern team last week at home, look for the Navy offense to bounce back from last weeks loss to Ball St. on the road!
UCLA vs BYU (-8.0) - This game is my blowout pick of the year, yeah UCLA had a good game against Tennessee, but i dont buy into Craft becoming this great quarterback, look for him to struggle against this mature BYU defense and throw a couple of INT's. Overall BYU is just too experienced to let this one go especially since this is one of their only games this year that gets some national attention.
Wisconsin (-2.0) vs Fresno St.- this game is getting hyped up as a big game for FSU, but the fact of the matter is that Wisconsin is too deep and has a vetern defense that will confuse FSU's offensive, and FSU's defense has not seen a high powered offense like this one this year so dont be surprise if this is a blowout!

Comments

• FiveandDimeFiveandDime Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    the_kid wrote:
    Wisconsin (-2.0) vs Fresno St.- this game is getting hyped up as a big game for FSU, but the fact of the matter is that Wisconsin is too deep and has a vetern defense that will confuse FSU's offensive, and FSU's defense has not seen a high powered offense like this one this year so dont be surprise if this is a blowout!

Your picks are your picks but this one doesn't make much sense based off your reasonings. If you want my opinion, someone that has been up close to the Fresno State team then I would say Fresno State is deeper overall then Wisconsin is. Wisconsin has only one advantage over Fresno State and that is their OLine which is one of the biggest in the Country.

I would also say confidently that Rutgers offense is also much more "high-powered" then Wisconsin's unless beating up on Marshall and Akron mean something that I don't know. I guess we will see when Rutgers faces UNC tomorrow to compare how they do. I mean when has Wisconsin ever had a real high powered offense? Even when Fresno State beat them in 2001 with Anthony Davis and Lee Evans they only managed 20 points.

This is the biggest game in Fresno State's history at Bulldog Stadium. I know you seemed to down play that in your comment but living here I can honestly say that it is buzzing pretty big. They are honoring the National Champion baseball team right before the game too so that has added to the excitement. People are getting upset that they can't buy anymore tickets as all the standing room only tickets are gone for the first time since Boise State came in 2005(maybe Oregon in '06). It is going to be around 90% at kickoff which actually is a cooler evening here recently and the second half will start at about midnight Wisconsin time. Those are small things but it can add up to one mental lapse in a key spot.

I am not trying to say Fresno State is guaranteed to win or anything like that because turnovers, bad penalties, etc can alter an outcome but in a straight up game at home, Fresno State has a great shot to win. I don't see Evridge going on the road for the first time in 3 years and being able to handle the noise or D that Fresno State will bring especially with the overflow crowd. If Fresno State didn't get out of the gates slow last week against Rutgers then Fresno would be about a 3 point favorite so I like the numbers.

Wisconsin was 2-4 on the road last year
    Wisconsin averaged about 21ppg on the road last year
    Wisconsin has averaged 14ppg on road openers dating back several years
    Fresno State is 10-1 in home openers under Pat Hill
    Fresno State is 4-1 at home against BCS since 2000 (The one loss was to No. 20 Oregon in '06 31-24 thriller in Fresno State's 4-8 season)
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited September 2008
    love your insight fiveanddime. Just locked in Fresno St ML at +110 about 15 min ago. Love that team this year
  • PotlickerPotlicker Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Ok, I have had my usual 12 beers on a golf night, but I am getting so sick of this Fresno shit its unbeliveable. If they were so f****ing great why arent they favored??? The way you dipshits talk they should be favored by 14 points and Wisconsin might as well stay home. Rutgers is more high powered than Wisconsin??? What kind of moronic statement is that? Last I checked there is a Rb at Wisconsin named PJ Hill along with an All American TE named Beckum, name one RB at Rutgers who could even be 4th string at Wisconsin. Fresno deeper than Wisconsin? Come on, lets ask any kid - play in the Big 10 or play in the mighty WAC with La Tech, Idaho, San Jose State, and of course the powerhouse Utah State.

Biggest game in Fresno history? Whoppee shit. Are any of those 43000 drunken assholes going to play? Maybe spew out obscenities, I'm sure that will get some first downs. Who cares if they are honoring the Baseball team, do any of them play football?? And comparing a 2001 football team to a 2008 team??? Common on, you like pulling the wings off of flies too?. Unless Fresno has some flunkies still playing, I don't think this matters in the least bit.

You have been close to the Fresno team, congratulations. That makes you an expert on Wisconsin? You saw them play how many times this year or ever?

Obviously, you're a home boy and I'm even a bigger one for Wisky.

May the best team win, and if its Fresno, after I puke, I will congratulate you. But dont sit there and give out reasons that don't mean shit.

P.S. The Kid - you are a smart man. Horn, I thought you were a little sharper than to follow something that has no basis.

P.S.S. or is it P.P.S - let it flow about 12:30 AM CST time on Sunday morning if my beloved Badgers get beat. I can take it.
    edited September 2008
    GL potlicker, should be a fun football game
  • Punn3301Punn3301 Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    I'm not a homer for either side but I'm curious as to why Fresno is so highly regarded.

They looked like CRAP in the first half against Rutgers and if not for Rutgers mistakes they're down 13 or 17 to zilch at the half.

Even though they played better in the 2nd half, it took 2 terribly blown coverages by Rutgers, the 2nd coming on 3rd and 23.

Brandstater looked incredibly stiif and overrated. Please spare me the NFL talk when it comes to this guy.

That said, it did say alot to me that Fresno was able to go on the road to the other coast and win a game at Rutgers.

Personally, I don't see much value in this game, as I think there are better options out there and I really do not know how Wisconsin will respond in it's first road game on the oppoiste coast.....traditionally they haven't responded well.
    edited September 2008
    Potlicker wrote:
    Ok, I have had my usual 12 beers on a golf night, but I am getting so sick of this Fresno shit its unbeliveable. If they were so f****ing great why arent they favored??? The way you dipshits talk they should be favored by 14 points and Wisconsin might as well stay home. Rutgers is more high powered than Wisconsin??? What kind of moronic statement is that? Last I checked there is a Rb at Wisconsin named PJ Hill along with an All American TE named Beckum, name one RB at Rutgers who could even be 4th string at Wisconsin. Fresno deeper than Wisconsin? Come on, lets ask any kid - play in the Big 10 or play in the mighty WAC with La Tech, Idaho, San Jose State, and of course the powerhouse Utah State.

Biggest game in Fresno history? Whoppee shit. Are any of those 43000 drunken assholes going to play? Maybe spew out obscenities, I'm sure that will get some first downs. Who cares if they are honoring the Baseball team, do any of them play football?? And comparing a 2001 football team to a 2008 team??? Common on, you like pulling the wings off of flies too?. Unless Fresno has some flunkies still playing, I don't think this matters in the least bit.

You have been close to the Fresno team, congratulations. That makes you an expert on Wisconsin? You saw them play how many times this year or ever?

Obviously, you're a home boy and I'm even a bigger one for Wisky.

May the best team win, and if its Fresno, after I puke, I will congratulate you. But dont sit there and give out reasons that don't mean shit.

P.S. The Kid - you are a smart man. Horn, I thought you were a little sharper than to follow something that has no basis.

P.S.S. or is it P.P.S - let it flow about 12:30 AM CST time on Sunday morning if my beloved Badgers get beat. I can take it.

I have actually seen both Wisconsin games this year and I believe I watched every game except for Citadel last year. I especially loved that shootout against superpower UNLV. 20 whole points? with AA TE Beckham? go figure. I watch tons of CFB, you know, I bet on this stuff so I like to know what I am betting on or against. Shoot, I even remember watching Evridge get lit up by KU in a game while he was at KSU. Didn't he end up completing 47% of his passes that year? lol

- Running the ball all game isn't really considered high-powered ...When you list only your TE and RB and call that high-powered then you might be from Wisconsin. :p

Kordell Young would replace Zach Brown in the Badgers running attack....better yet Ryan Mathews and Lonyae Miller would both surpass Brown. Mathews turned down USC to go to Fresno State and last time I checked CA HS produce far greater numbers of HS athletes then Wisconsin so there is a lot of chose from. They go to Fresno State because Pat Hill puts them in the NFL. The most current NFL players of any non-BCS team in the country. Playing in the Big 10 doesn't really mean that much to kids on the west coast, sorry to tell you. Even big bad Ohio State only has 3 players from CA on their team. I think some of those WAC teams could beat your bottom 10 teams ...wait...they already have.

Wisconsin should just be happy they got a lucky defensive offsides call in 02 otherwise they would be 0-2 against Fresno State....who would of thunk it?
    edited September 2008
    P.S. Fresno State was favored by LVSC. opened at -2 now +2
    edited September 2008
    Punn3301 wrote:
    I'm not a homer for either side but I'm curious as to why Fresno is so highly regarded.

They looked like CRAP in the first half against Rutgers and if not for Rutgers mistakes they're down 13 or 17 to zilch at the half.

Even though they played better in the 2nd half, it took 2 terribly blown coverages by Rutgers, the 2nd coming on 3rd and 23.

Brandstater looked incredibly stiif and overrated. Please spare me the NFL talk when it comes to this guy.

That said, it did say alot to me that Fresno was able to go on the road to the other coast and win a game at Rutgers.

Personally, I don't see much value in this game, as I think there are better options out there and I really do not know how Wisconsin will respond in it's first road game on the oppoiste coast.....traditionally they haven't responded well.

i'm not here to make anyone bet a certain way....I just saw the OP's comments were off base and provided my knowledge of the situation which I feel is above the average poster for this issue. People can take it for what they want. I will say this...if you bet the next game off of only the previous game then you will lose money...varibles and matchups change how teams look week to week.
  • Punn3301Punn3301 Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    i'm not here to make anyone bet a certain way....I just saw the OP's comments were off base and provided my knowledge of the situation which I feel is above the average poster for this issue. People can take it for what they want. I will say this...if you bet the next game off of only the previous game then you will lose money...varibles and matchups change how teams look week to week.

I agree. Just after watching Fresno play, it's hard for me to play them this week.

I usually LOVE games like this where a team has to travel a long distance. But I'm just not real hot either way on this one.

Hate to go against the crowd....but I'm not sold on these teams like Fresno, ECU, and BYU.....to me it seems like everyone is just LOOKING for "this year's Hawaii"...or "this year's Boise State"......because of that some people are overvaluing some of these mid-majors/non-BCS schools. Thats just my take.

Personally, I hope they all keep winning their out-of-conference games so I can fade them on the moneyline when they get into conference play and start playing lesser known teams.

Like when ECU has to go to Orlando or Hattiesburg. I just pray they go into one or both of those games undefeated.
    edited September 2008
    Punn,

leaning hard on Tulane hosting ECU, ECU is in a prime spot to get beat this weekend, i certainly don't believe they should be laying 13 on the road. Gonna wait just a little longer to watch the line but 90% sure i'll finish off the card with Tulane
  • mike75mike75 Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    BYU's defense is young and only has 4 starters from last year and being young has shown ala Washington and Northern Iowa! Also UCLA gave Tennesse fits by putting alot of pressure on Crompton, Hall will get his share this weekend if you watched any of BYU's first 2 games Hall had all day to throw no pressure what so ever. But come this weekend he will be faced with the best defense he might see all year and it starts up front with harwell and price who will eat up the BYU OL. Look at what happened to the Tenn O line the were getting blown up! So I would rethink that one, I see UCLA winning by at least 10-14! Also UCLA is the only team to have kept them under 17 points!
  • choons81choons81 Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    The_kid didn't you used to come into chat room? LOL you did some kind of Santeria on BKLR and he lost a bunch of straight plays. Welcome back (sans the santeria)

GL