Betting Talk

to hedge or not to hedge

homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
edited January 2008 in Sports Betting
suggestions BT board...

<TABLE class=listingtable><TBODY><TR class=offering_noun><TD noWrap>44641970-1 </TD><TD noWrap> 1/2/2008 3:19 PM </TD><TD noWrap> Parlay </TD><TD noWrap align=right> 20.00 </TD><TD noWrap align=right> 253.60 </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=offering_noun><TD colSpan=6> Football - 475 West Virginia +280 for Game
Football - 475 West Virginia/Oklahoma over 62 -110 for Game
Football - 477 Kansas +3 -110 for Game</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'm sure I'll lay $53 to win 48.something on V Tech to ensure i win something on this play, or should i be a man and let it ride, i know small numbers for most of you guys, but i was a college dropout

i completely flipped from early feelings and played WVU +8.5 (you wager) and the over. threw this parlay out there for extra action

Comments

• blueblue Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    If I were you, I would lay down $100 on Va Tech if you don't feel that strongly on Kansas. At the very least you would net $80.
  • digicom78digicom78 Member
    edited January 2008
    Kansas gets the easy win here! :thumbup2:
  • digicom78digicom78 Member
    edited January 2008
    I just put a unit on Kansas in your behalf... GL
  • Focused1Focused1 Banned
    edited January 2008
    Teaser $125

VTech +3
    Steelers +8

Atleast if the parlay doesn't hit you still win $105, If Kansas wins by field goal you lose nothing.

P.S. by the way, Steeler's will be my "Lion" teaser play this week at home. Revenge + 8 points, Please.
  • bigcatbigcat Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    I was told to always make a profit..hedge it for 75-100..This has nothing to do with big egos or lack of courage..it has to do with making money..bottom line.
  • Duke30Duke30 Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    If you're going to hedge I would go with VTech money line. After all these blowouts it could be a 1 or 2 point game, why not hedge but also give yourself a chance to hit both.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    thanks for the input

i really lie the V Tech ML that would give me a chance at hitting both (a very slim one)

now in hindsight i should have slapped the Kansas ML in there instead of the three points and the payout would be even higher

i do feel confident about this pick as i have doubted the play of the V Tech QBs all season. it feel like a good play afterBig 12 Mizzou destroyed Arkansas but then Big 12 Oklahoma got crushed last night. crazy regular season and the bowl games are more of the same
    edited January 2008
    bigcat wrote:
    I was told to always make a profit..hedge it for 75-100..This has nothing to do with big egos or lack of courage..it has to do with making money..bottom line.

at this point, when i have more than doubled my bankroll this season (easy to do when you start with 1K), adding to it is always my goal.

i'll turn the profit on this game and then half will go to the bankroll and the other half will be split into 2 or 3 other parlays

when i have successful seasons like this, i get silly at the end of the year while keeping, this year, a 125% profit...slightly beating the stock market
  • rakim0821rakim0821 Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    Lang is on Tech tonight if that gives you any more incentive!
    edited January 2008
    hell yeah it does Rakim, thanks for the confirmation

are you as nervous about this Saturday night as I am

O-line has sucked all year and now they are banged up

Troy, if he plays, will be less than 100%

just seems like a lot of obstacles stacking up against our boys
  • steortex2steortex2 Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    Let it roll you can always hedge at Half-time and since $20 wont break you Stick it to them..
  • ReznorReznor Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    steortex2 wrote:
    Let it roll you can always hedge at Half-time and since $20 wont break you Stick it to them..

I think that's the best plan giving you the best chance to win two bets. The only bad situation I could see arising is for Va Tech to be up huge at the half, you make a play either on Va Tech 2nd half and they end up not covering but Kansas doesnt cover the original 3. The best opportunity would be for Kansas to be up big and you make a hedge bet on Va Tech and they cover the 2nd half spread but dont win the game.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I would pop into the chat room at halftime and see what people think.
    edited January 2008
    Homer u here???? This is setting up very nicely for a chance to win the parlay and a small bet with va tech 2nd half depending on the score and line of course
  • PurecarnaggePurecarnagge Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    I always thought hedging 2nd half was better than on a game.
    edited January 2008
    well homer i think you should bet 100 on va tech...great chance to win both bets or at least the 80 minimum if va tech comes back to cover the game
    edited January 2008
    Well Homer...Since you didnt respond to your thread here today I hope you at least took some advice. Hopefully you played va tech 2nd half and raked up big time.
  • BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    Homer works M-F 4pm to Midnight...sure you'll here from him in the next hour
    edited January 2008
    damn-it guys my hours suck...seriously why would my employer block gambling sites? HA HA

well it is a lesson learned, never thought of hedging the bet by waiting til the second half...

someone tell me the second half line was V Tech -11 so it would have pushed.....ha ha part 2

thanks for the insight guys, part of what makes this site the best F-ing thing on the internet

i forgot all about bowl season when i took this job AARGGHHHH!!!

I only laid $40 on V Tech and bought it to 2.5
    edited January 2008
    Reznor wrote:
    well homer i think you should bet 100 on va tech...great chance to win both bets or at least the 80 minimum if va tech comes back to cover the game

Rez and Pure

thanks for the help...sorry i couldn't respond to your posts

or win money by reading them!!!!

I'll take a guess and say 2nf half line was 6.5, couldn't have been 7 flat right?

if someone, anyone could post what it was i would appreciate it....add to my misery
    edited January 2008
    Sorry Homer. It was anywhere frrom va tech -4.5 to -6 so yeah they covered. bad luck man.
    edited January 2008
    Reznor wrote:
    Sorry Homer. It was anywhere frrom va tech -4.5 to -6 so yeah they covered. bad luck man.

story of my life

i have to work twice as hard as Thunder when capping on my own, his is all luck :angry: