Betting Talk

Northwestern Coach

Comments

• JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited February 2013
    helmut wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure something is going to be done in the off season. Just look at kenpom stats from 2003 and there was just 13 teams that played with a 63 tempo or slower and in 2013 it is currently at 50 and by the time the season ends it will probably be 55-60. It's OK to have a few teams play this way but when you get every other team playing this style you end up with a lot of ugly games that fans won't watch.

"55-60" out of nearly 350 D1 schools =/= "every other team" IMO.
  • helmuthelmut Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Looks like that scoring 40pts per game didn't work out so well

Northwestern fired Bill Carmody on Saturday after 13 years at the school, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

Northwestern athletic director Jim Phillips gathered the team together Saturday morning in Evanston, Ill., to break the news.

Carmody finished 13-18 overall this season, 4-14 in the Big Ten and lost to Iowa in the Big Ten tournament in Chicago this week.

The Wildcats went to four NITs during Carmody's tenure but failed to make the NCAA tournament. Northwestern has never made the NCAAs, the only program in a power six conference never to make the field.

Carmody came to Northwestern in 2000 after four years at Princeton.

The Wildcats, riddled with injuries the past two seasons, will likely look at Duke associate head coach Chris Collins, who is from Northbrook, Ill, and according to sources is interested. Lehigh's Brett Reed is also expected to be a strong candidate.

The Wildcats lost three of their top players this season, one at the beginning of the season to a season-long suspension in JerShon Cobb, two others to season-ending injuries after 10 games (Drew Crawford) and 24 games (Jared Swopshire).
    edited March 2013
    What a disgraceful decision. Carmody will not be out of work long.
  • hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Dumb asses
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Stupid decision.
  • blueblue Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I think their team would have been solid this year if Crawford was healthy.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    huskers had more conference W's. :). love it.
  • helmuthelmut Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Seriously, Are you guys insane? The guy should have been fired ten years ago. The guy never once had a winning record in conference games. Yes, 13 straight years of losing...

2000-01 3-13
    2001-02 7-9
    2002-03 3-13
    2003-04 8-8
    2004-05 6-10
    2005-06 6-10
    2006-07 2-14
    2007-08 1-17
    2008-09 8-10
    2009-10 7-11
    2010-11 7-11
    2011-12 8-10
    2012-13 4-14
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited March 2013
    Seriously, Are you guys insane? The guy should have been fired ten years ago. The guy never once had a winning record in conference games. Yes, 13 straight years of losing...

2000-01 3-13
    2001-02 7-9
    2002-03 3-13
    2003-04 8-8
    2004-05 6-10
    2005-06 6-10
    2006-07 2-14
    2007-08 1-17
    2008-09 8-10
    2009-10 7-11
    2010-11 7-11
    2011-12 8-10
    2012-13 4-14

Look at what they were before he got there. Before he got there, the last time they won 7 big Ten games was 1984. 7 years since 1964 before he got there did they have that many wins. he did it 6 times in his time there.
    edited March 2013
    I agree with helmut. barely going over .500 year after year in league can't last forever man. who really cares what happened in the 80s?
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited March 2013

2000-01 3-13
    2001-02 7-9
    2002-03 3-13
    2003-04 8-8
    2004-05 6-10
    2005-06 6-10
    2006-07 2-14
    2007-08 1-17
    2008-09 8-10
    2009-10 7-11
    2010-11 7-11
    2011-12 8-10
    2012-13 4-14

And what did their history look like before he got there? And was he on a level playing field with the rest of the conference? (That's an obvious "No", due to their facilities, budget, and probably most importantly their academic standards for athletes and inability for him to take JuCos). Northwestern has been a much better basketball program over the past 10 years then they've ever been in their history. It's too bad that he doesn't have an NCAA appearance to show for it, but like others have said, he'll have another job as quickly as he wants one.\

Do you think that whoever they hire will have a winning season in the Big Ten in the next 5 years, when coaching and recruiting against Izzo, Crean, Ryan, Matta, Tubby, Beilein, Painter, etc(all while trying to sell Northwestern's program against the program of those other B1G schools)?
    edited March 2013
    newcombe wrote: »
    I agree with helmut. barely going 500 year after year in league can't last forever man. who really cares what happened in the 80s?

They will never be Duke. They have never been more competitive in their history than they have been under Carmody. With the injuries he has had to deal with, he did an amazing job there. Ripping on the job he has done there is ridiculous.
    edited March 2013
    past is the past Tommy. how can you go on not winning? that's how college sports are nowadays.
    edited March 2013
    Sy >>>>>
    edited March 2013
    StevieY wrote: »
    They will never be Duke. They have never been more competitive in their history than they have been under Carmody. With the injuries he has had to deal with, he did an amazing job there. Ripping on the job he has done there is ridiculous.

not ripping on the job, I am just a realist and if you aren't winning then its time to move on. not a shot against how good of a leader or coach he is and certainly bad luck with injuries but don't you think the powers that be aren't all over the corp to hire someone that can make a change (not that it means there will be a better coach). that's all I am saying.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited March 2013
    past is the past Tommy. how can you go on not winning? that's how college sports are nowadays.

I'm not a "make a change for the sake of making a change" guy. I don't think they can do better than Carmody. As with most coaching changes, I'm sure you'll see some recruits decommit and some of their current guys leave, and the new guy will be starting over with a program rebuild at a school that might be the most challenging coaching job in the nation. And likely, it won't work and they'll do the same thing again in 6-7 years. Carmody was slowing building them into a team that was respectable, which is a huge thing to do at Northwestern.
    edited March 2013
    TommyL wrote: »
    I'm not a "make a change for the sake of making a change" guy. I don't think they can do better than Carmody. As with most coaching changes, I'm sure you'll see some recruits decommit and some of their current guys leave, and the new guy will be starting over with a program rebuild at a school that might be the most challenging coaching job in the nation. And likely, it won't work and they'll do the same thing again in 6-7 years. Carmody was slowing building them into a team that was respectable, which is a huge thing to do at Northwestern.

Fantastic post. Carmody great coach, will be able to choose his next gig from an absolute litany of offers.
    edited March 2013
    not arguing that at all tommy. huskers change coaches every few years it seems and nothing changes - gotten worse actually as they can't even come close to getting decent talent (which is few and far between) in Omaha/Lincoln. never a shot against the coach but you have to agree that if you can't produce over a period of time then the powers are pushed to make changes. sucks but is what it is.
    edited March 2013
    Jalapanose wrote: »
    Fantastic post. Carmody great coach, will be able to choose his next gig from an absolute litany of offers.

so he'll end up a larger school then you think or more money or will he move backwards as far as coaching jobs go?
    edited March 2013
    so he'll end up a larger school then you think or more money or will he move backwards as far as coaching jobs go?

He doesn't strike me as a "larger school" type of dude. But yes, he will make more $ and be able to choose his next gig from many offers. That's if he wants to keep coaching and not take a year or two off. But you certainly won't see him take a desperate job offer, guarantee ya that.
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/18825810-419/northwestern-could-lose-top-recruit-if-bill-carmody-is-fired.html
    “I’m not saying Jaren won’t come but it will be very difficult for him to step on the floor at Northwestern if coach Carmody doesn’t stay,” said Mergin Sina.

Mergin Sina doesn’t understand why Carmody’s future would be an issue after one top returning player was lost to a suspension and two more to season-ending injuries. Carmody has had only seven scholarship players available, including four freshman who play regularly, during their current seven-game losing streak.

“I’m a coach as well, and when you look at Northwestern’s program it’s not an easy place to get kids in,” he said. “The academic standards are very high and you’re going to lose highly-rated recruits. Watching the way he coaches and what he gets out of those kids, as a coach, I’m impressed to a point where I can’t figure out why there’s even a discussion here. He runs a nice system, he doesn’t have the talent he needs but that’s why you bring a kid like Jaren in. I’m just trying to figure out where the school is going with this.”

The kid's father is right on point here.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    If you throw out this injury-riddled year-- records in conf of 8-10, 7-11, 7-11, 8-10 are pretty damn good in what's arguably the best conf in the country. Who's going to come in and better that record in a couple of years? Fire him, and you start the merry-go-round of a new coach every 4 years or so. Plus-- I'm going to miss him, and his style, as far as being a dog bettor. Maybe someone with the stats at hand could post his in conf ATS record.
    edited October 2013
    coach going to have to answer some questions today... pretty bad loss even with a couple of key injuries.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    coach going to have to answer some questions today... pretty bad loss even with a couple of key injuries.

Fitzgerald will not have to answer any ?, at least not to anyone in the Northwestern system
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Why the TD attempt on 4th down with 3 min left down 10 with an easy fg? Also why in the hell would he onside it with 2:30 left with all 3 timeouts? Usually Fitzy makes some pretty good calls. Not so much today.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited October 2013

Well done...basketball thread successfully converted to a football thread
    edited October 2013
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    Well done...basketball thread successfully converted to a football thread

hahah. my bad. I grabbed the wrong thread as I know there was one posted during the buckeyes game about fitz which is the one I meant to bump.
    edited January 2014
    Wonder if Northwestern realizes what a big mistake that they made yet?

"Just wait until Collins gets his own players", amirite lol
    edited January 2014

Collins looks like a deer in headlights.
  • cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
    edited January 2014

Would say that did not make a mistake at all. And I also see that "all those coaching offers" Carmody was going to get resulted in being an assistant coach at Georgetown under JT the 23rd. Have to admit I have never followed the BB mediocraty in detail at NW but no matter how much Carmody "improved" the program after he got there... 13 years was enough. Hopefully they will give young Collins at least 1/3rd the time they gave Carmody to see if thay made a mistake or not.