Betting Talk

Question for steviey

increasedoddincreasedodd Senior Member
edited January 2013 in Sports Betting
Since you started posting here or even by year previously, do you know what your records would be under the following situations?

Nfl. 1/2 point worse than you posted

Cfb sides 1/2 and 1 point worse than you posted

Cfb totals 1/2, 1 and 2 points worse than you posted

Cbb sides 1, 1.5, and 2 points worse than you posted

Cbb totals 1.5 and 2 points worse than you posted

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Sean

Comments

• StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited January 2013
    Since you started posting here or even by year previously, do you know what your records would be under the following situations?

Nfl. 1/2 point worse than you posted

Cfb sides 1/2 and 1 point worse than you posted

Cfb totals 1/2, 1 and 2 points worse than you posted

Cbb sides 1, 1.5, and 2 points worse than you posted

Cbb totals 1.5 and 2 points worse than you posted

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Sean

Exact numbers, no. I'm not a CLV person, never cared. However, I had a back-channel discussion with someone a few months ago about it so I did some checking on how I did when the line closed 1.5+ against me. Every year I went back, nothing changed. Last three years 30-22, last 7 years total, I am 115-88. I stopped there as I pretty much wasted a day I will never get back to tell me what I already knew and why I never cared. :) Don't remember the exact splits but % wise, it was pretty much the same across sports and sides/totals.

I did do a quick check with CBB the last two years at the same time and my record when the line moved against me 1.5+ pts was better than when I beat the line by 2+ pts. Goats will tell you that is probably not limited to the last two years. :(
  • RonyBallgameRonyBallgame Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Stevie, I just want to tell you thanks for your work. I've been very satisfied since you went to the pay-for-service plays. Along with RAS, nobody is better in my opinion.
  • increasedoddincreasedodd Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Hi Steviey

Thank you for the response.

Also before I go into numbers, congrats on doing so well. I see you as one of the best two cappers out there.

What I was getting at is I can't bet your picks at your numbers. Every book I have now has me on delay. What Im trying to figure out is how I would have done historically if I get a point worse or so.

Based on since you started your service in CBB, I get the following.

On totals record is currently 12-7. If 1/2 point worse it becomes 12-7, if 1 point worse, 11-7-1, if 1.5 point worse 10-8-1, if 2 points worse 10-9.
    On sides, record is currently 53-43. If 1/2 point worse it becomes 48-43, if 1 point worse 44-48-4, if 1.5 point worse 43-52-1, and if 2 points worse 39-53-4.

While these are small sample sizes, it seems if I can bet at 1/2 point worse on all games I should but since I'm currently getting about .8points worse I should skip CBB unfortunately.

You don't have this type of analysis going back further do you?

Thanks

Sean
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited January 2013
    Hi Steviey

Thank you for the response.

Also before I go into numbers, congrats on doing so well. I see you as one of the best two cappers out there.

What I was getting at is I can't bet your picks at your numbers. Every book I have now has me on delay. What Im trying to figure out is how I would have done historically if I get a point worse or so.

Based on since you started your service in CBB, I get the following.

On totals record is currently 12-7. If 1/2 point worse it becomes 12-7, if 1 point worse, 11-7-1, if 1.5 point worse 10-8-1, if 2 points worse 10-9.
    On sides, record is currently 53-43. If 1/2 point worse it becomes 48-43, if 1 point worse 44-48-4, if 1.5 point worse 43-52-1, and if 2 points worse 39-53-4.

While these are small sample sizes, it seems if I can bet at 1/2 point worse on all games I should but since I'm currently getting about .8points worse I should skip CBB unfortunately.

You don't have this type of analysis going back further do you?

Thanks

Sean

No, I don't. I would use the value of the points you are losing instead of 2 months of results.
  • TwoninerTwoniner Member
    edited January 2013
    Increased, think of it this way. Expected capper win % vs. the % you need to win at the price you are laying For Stevie Y glancing historically I'd say 56 or 56.5% for CBB sides is our estimate.

For CBB sides pinnacle values 1/2 a point right at 10 cents for fair value on the dropdown. If that isn't the exact value, it's pretty close.

So for 1/2 point worse than release, you are laying in essence -120 instead of -110 on the play. -110 win% needed is 52.4%. -120 win% needed is 54.5%. At 1 point worse you are laying about -130 which is 56.5% to breakeven, so you are probably better passing at 1 point off side releases, unless you think your capper is hitting 57% +
  • increasedoddincreasedodd Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    I agree. I was hoping 1 point would be profitable as that's about what I can get, but it does not seem to be.

Problem is you can't pass on some picks and take others. The ones that move 2-3 points are better picks than ones that don't move.

This is a great service, but it's been too good making it hard to bet - much like RAS (combine the two and I'm out of books!)
  • FaststanFaststan Member
    edited January 2013
    Faststan
    Thanks

Hi Stevie . Last year , I won a marginal amount buying 3 points in Cbb at -165. This year , I am able to buy 4 points for -188 . The Greek , by way of example , charges -220 for 3 points and -280 for 4 points . Additionally , my results were not based on an insignificant number of plays ; I probably bought the 3 points in 500 games . Any suggestions on the best way to proceed ? Buy the points only where total is above/below a certain number ? Only bet games where the line has already moved in my direction . The guy allowing 4 will cut me off after a while , but the guy with 3 will let me " fire " away
  • FaststanFaststan Member
    edited January 2013
    I followed your chart as much as I coulld

From what I found, there is never a reason to buy 2 points at -150 if you can buy 3 points at -170. There are spots where it is very solid but the 3 pt buy is still better.

At Pk, buying either way, BE is -180

Home fav 1-3.5 are terrible buys Road Dogs 1-3.5 are BE between mid -180's to low -190's
    Home fav 4-6 are all BE between -188 to -200 Road dogs are BE -190 except for 6 which dips because you aren't getting the 3(-178)
    Home fav 6.5-8.5 are all BE around -176 to -178 Road dogs 6.5-8.5 are all BE between -188 and -198
    Home fav 9-15.5 are all at least -179, most in the mid -180's Road dogs 9-15.5 are all BE low-mid -180's and above, except 13.5 which is -165 and may just be noise.
    Home favs 16+ start to suffer from sample size(all above has sample size >= 300), and the results bounce around way too much to be used. Road dog 16+ suffer the same

Away Fav 1-3.5 are bad buys Home dogs 1 and 1.5 are not worth it, 2-3.5 is anywhere between -188 and -212
    Away Fav 4-5.5 are BE around -190, 6 suffers from losing the 3 Home Dogs 4-5.5 are BE upper -180's to -205, 6's suffer
    At this point, the sample size starts to suffer a little but from 6.5 to 11.5, Away Favs are pretty consistent with a BE in the mid -180's, Home dogs start bouncing a little
    6.5 -173
    7.0 -172
    7.5 -206
    8.0 -164
    8.5 -203
    9.0 -196
    9.5 -215
    10.0 -181
    10.5 -225
    11.0 -192
    11.5 -225
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Twoniner wrote: »
    Increased, think of it this way. Expected capper win % vs. the % you need to win at the price you are laying For Stevie Y glancing historically I'd say 56 or 56.5% for CBB sides is our estimate.

For CBB sides pinnacle values 1/2 a point right at 10 cents for fair value on the dropdown. If that isn't the exact value, it's pretty close.

So for 1/2 point worse than release, you are laying in essence -120 instead of -110 on the play. -110 win% needed is 52.4%. -120 win% needed is 54.5%. At 1 point worse you are laying about -130 which is 56.5% to breakeven, so you are probably better passing at 1 point off side releases, unless you think your capper is hitting 57% +

Your forgetting one important factor and that's the cost of the service. You have to arrange to have a few books and add a couple of slow moving locals. There limits may be low but There out there. Add a less then A/B rated book off shore you know one that will keep you up at night if your going to get paid or not. This is the price you pay for fame. Also if you do use Locals negotiate a reduced juice Locals with high volume will do that provided you give enough action to make it worth there while.
    From what I understand people are getting down at released numbers but there are a few and you'll have to figure that one out for yourself.
    Nobody is giving that up.