Betting Talk

This is what its All About

briansbrians Banned
edited July 2005 in Sports Betting
Taxation without representation! That was the battle cry of the<br>13 colonies in America that were forced to pay taxes to England's<br>King George III with no representation in Parliament. As<br>dissatisfaction grew, British troops were sent in to quell any<br>signs of rebellion, and repeated attempts by the colonists to<br>resolve the crisis without war proved fruitless.<br><br>On June 11, 1776, the colonies' Second Continental Congress<br>meeting in Philadelphia formed a committee with the express<br>purpose of drafting a document that would formally sever their<br>ties with Great Britain. The committee included Thomas Jefferson,<br>Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Roger Sherman and Robert R.<br>Livingston. The document was crafted by Jefferson, who was<br>considered the strongest and most eloquent writer. (Nevertheless,<br>a total of 86 changes were made to his draft.) The final version<br>was officially adopted by the Continental Congress on July 4.<br><br>The following day, copies of the Declaration of Independence were<br>distributed and, on July 6, The Pennsylvania Evening Post became<br>the first newspaper to print the extraordinary document.<br>The Declaration of Independence has since become our nation's<br>most cherished symbol of liberty.<br><br>I love my country. I love it first because it is my country, just<br>as I love my family because they are my family. And while some<br>things might make me decide to just give up on either my family<br>or my country, it takes a lot more than it would to make me give<br>up on some other family or country, just because they are mine.<br>But I also love it for the noble experiment I take it to be.<br><br>We have never completely lived up to our ideals. We enslaved people,<br>slaughtered the indigenous peoples of North America, and so on.<br>But we also always had a set of ideals that we tried to live up<br>to, however imperfectly, and these shine through even the darkest<br>parts of our history, and let us see it as a still unfinished<br>attempt to be something truly great.<br><br>I take those ideals to be: that we are a nation of laws; that we<br>are entitled to freely choose our own government, and that that<br>government is legitimate only in virtue of our consent; that our<br>government should leave us free to debate political and social<br>questions and decide them for ourselves, rather than trying to<br>constrain debate, and that it should leave us free to choose our<br>own faith, rather than trying to impose one on us; that we should<br>trust one another, and our government should trust us, to act<br>like responsible adults who can be counted on to choose<br>responsibly.<br><br>I love my country for trying to incarnate the rules, especially<br>since, when our Constitution was written, people were not at all<br>confident that any such government could succeed.<br><br>For those of us who are American citizens, this is our<br>inheritance. We have been born into an astonishing country, with<br>astonishing values. And it is our job, as citizens, to help keep<br>alive in whatever small way we can, because, like any<br>inheritance, it can be squandered. And the only thing that will<br>keep it intact is if we, who have been lucky enough to inherit<br>it, try to keep faith with those who bequeathed it to us, and do<br>our best to preserve and enhance it for those who come after us.<br><br>Many of us will be playing golf this coming weekend and enjoying<br>time with family and friends. Please be careful, make it a safe<br>one, and enjoy yourself.<br><br>I would like to wish all of you a Happy 4th of July, and ask that<br>you remember in your prayers the leaders of this country and the<br>men and women in our military risking their lives for our<br>freedmon. May ?God continue to bless the USA?<br><br>Thanks for reading BRIANS

Comments

• fishfish Senior Member
    edited July 2005
    true true true!!!!!EOM