Betting Talk

Early college football thoughts ...

ChemicalATChemicalAT Senior Member
edited July 2005 in Sports Betting
My process of preparing for the upcoming college football season starts <br>in mid-June with reading websites and annuals. By this time, I have a <br>concept of what I think. Now, it's time to look at futures ... national <br>title bets, conference championships and season total wins. By next month, <br>it's time to start handicapping the early games. <br> While thinking about the future bets that are out there right now, I <br>can't help but comment on some of the things I am reading on websites <br>about where the money is going. <br> I see a lot of people betting Ohio State and USC "over" their season <br>total wins and betting them to win the national title. I've also noticed <br>they're both the favorites to win their respective conferences. <br> DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. <br> <br> No Big Ten is going undefeated this season. So anybody thinking Ohio <br>State as the second choice in the BCS betting is a good bet, had better <br>think again. I follow Ohio State very closely. And I want to warn people <br>not to put too much stock into the Buckeyes' final two results of last <br>year. After all, that is what's fueling this optimism. If you look at the <br>Buckeyes' overall body of work from last year, you wouldn't be betting <br>them to win the title. Lets not forget this team went on a 3-game losing <br>streak at mid-season which included a loss at Northwestern. The reason for <br>this is because the offense got cancer. With Ginn and Holmes, the Buckeyes <br>figure to be better offensively. But the QB situation still isn't good. <br>And this team hasn't had a running game since Clarett. <br> I do think Ohio State is among the Big Ten's top teams. And I think <br>they're one of the Top 10 teams in the country in terms of talent. But if <br>you're betting them "over 9" wins, you not likely to cash. People doing <br>this are acting as though the Buckeyes have only three tough games this <br>year - Texas, Iowa and at Michigan. But what about at Minnesota or at Penn <br>State? Remember, this team is going to need major offensive improvement to <br>pull out close games on the Big Ten road this year.<br> Ohio State is very good this year. The defense is top notch and they have <br>two playmakers. But playing in a very competitive conference with no <br>running game and average QB play will take its toll at least once, if not <br>twice. That makes going over 9 very difficult and the bet could be lost by <br>the time they get to Michigan. <br><br> USC - This is obviously the best team in the country. It's quite possible <br>the entire offense will be playing on Sunday's within five years. BUT, <br>going "over 11" wins is a lot to ask. Laying even money on not only <br>making, but winning the BCS is just plain foolishness. If you're playing <br>either of these wagers, then it's time to stop betting college football. <br> USC does have some questions. Its defense lost alot of talent two years <br>ago and again last year. The newcomers are all top notch, but it still <br>takes time. I do think this will be a Top 20 defense and the offense is <br>the country's best. But what future bettors are doing is asking this team <br>to be nearly perfect. <br> The PAC-10 this year is much like the Big Ten. It has improved <br>significantly from top to bottom. Wazzu will be much better. Oregon ditto. <br>UCLA same thing. But it's not just USC's Pac-10 sked that worries me. It's <br>the placing of the games and the non-conf opponents. <br> I don't care what anybody says - opening at Hawaii is stupid. Yes, the <br>Bows aren't good this year, but opening up on vacation and the logistics <br>of playing in Hawaii to start just isn't a normal beginning for a team. <br>You have fall practice and then a trip to Hawaii and then you come home to <br>play your schedule. USC does get a week off before Arkansas, but that's a <br>tough opponent. Then play at Oregon and at ASU in back to back weeks. <br>Later they go to Notre Dame. Then the late schedule has games at Cal and <br>home against Fresno State and UCLA. They catch Cal when it will have had a <br>good amount of time to get clicking and same with UCLA. <br> This schedule is full of landmines. Even with such great overall talent <br>the past few seasons, USC has had its close calls. They VaTech, Stanford, <br>Oregon State and UCLA were all decently competitive games last year and <br>that was with last year's great D-Line. <br> These future lines on USC already show there will be ZERO VALUE anywhere <br>with this team this season. And if you can't bet against them, then don't <br>play at all. Just please don't accept such poor odds on these ridiculousy <br>priced futures. If anything a peanut play against might not be bad. <br><br> At this point, you might be thinking "So who do you like?" There is <br>actually one team that I keep coming back to as offering great value <br>compared to its schedule and overall talent. That team is Virginia Tech. <br>If Vick can play up to his hype, this team has a great setup with its <br>schedule to run the table. In my opinion, they are the most talented team <br>in the ACC and they have a good amount of experience, too. More on Va Tech <br>later.

Comments

• ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    you think VT has more "talent" than Miami?<br><br><br>I worked in the UF recruiting office for a few years. I met and recruited <br>most of the players that go to miami. Talent wise, there is no way <br>possible that VT can compare. Now, VT might be a good team, they might <br>even be a better team than miami. But they damn sure dont have more <br>talent.
  • ChemicalATChemicalAT Senior Member
    edited July 2005
    Va Tech is better. Va Tech won at Miami last year and completely <br>dominated the Canes offense with its defense. Va Tech's defense is easily <br>the best in the ACC this year.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    Talent and what they do with it are 2 completely different things.
    edited July 2005
    If you went by the opinions of recruiting services, though, you'd always <br>be wrong. Miami's overall talent last year was very overrated - in my <br>opinion. Good, but overrated. Conversely, I happen to think Va Tech's 2003 <br>recruiting class is one of the best in the country. Xavier Adibi and Vince <br>Hall were two great LB recruits. They got two receivers who are both tall, <br>fast and starting this year also. It was a better class than anybody gave <br>it credit for. Adibi is going to be a stud very soon.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    I know what you mean, but miami has corner that will never see the field <br>that have 4.4 speed. <br><br><br>Brock Berlin was a joke, thats why we (uf) got rid of him. Of course this <br>year they are going to start a new QB and there is no telling how it will <br>go.<br><br>Im not saying miami is a better team, Im just saying talent wise they have <br>had more talent than any other team in the nation for the last 15+ years.
    edited July 2005
    because I have a team that has had more. And I have this argument often. <br> I'll say that Ohio State has had more - if we're talking the last 15 <br>years. I think people forget about this, but you have to remember those <br>John Cooper teams that were the best in country and never won a national <br>title. And then the Tressel teams. <br> I think Ohio State is right there with them.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    so you think that the bottom 20 plays on any ohio state team were as good <br>as or better than the bottom 20 players on miami?<br><br><br>Come on now. The state of florida is a wealth of talent. Theres a reason <br>that miami puts more pro NFL players out there than anyone else. Because <br>they have more "talent"
    edited July 2005
    Bottom 20 maybe not. But Top 22 (both sides of the ball) yes. I can Ohio <br>State can hang with anybody. Florida has great talent, but so does Ohio, <br>Texas and California. Those are top football talent states. But I want to <br>remind you that Kellen Winslow and DJ Williams are from California, yet <br>they played at Miami. <br> <br> What I wanted was for you to start naming players and I would name a <br>Buckeye that was as good or better. <br> Like Eddie George or Shawn Springs or Terry Glenn from those Cooper <br>teams. Big Daddy Wilkinson. Orlando Pace. Ricky Dudley. Katzenmoyer. <br>Bellisari and so on.
  • footballpixfootballpix Senior Member
    edited July 2005
    The USC game with Fresno State could be troublesome for the Trojans. Pat <br>Hill does a great job getting his teams ready for big games. Should be a <br>great matchup, even at the Coliseum.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    I can think of only a few guys from miami.<br><br><br>Ray lewis<br>Michael irvin<br>Edgerrin James<br>Ed Reed<br>Jim Kelly (old school)<br>Willis McGahee<br>Reggie Wayne<br>Warren Sapp<br>Jeremy Shockey<br>Clinton Portis<br>Santana Moss<br>Sean Taylor<br>Najeh Davenport<br>Bubba Franks<br>Bryant McKinnie<br>Dan Morgan<br>Antrel Rolle<br>Frank Gore<br><br><br><br>OH MY GOD. Its a "whos whos" list of NFL players. No need to respond with <br>the Ohio State list, it wont be necessary.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    I almost forgot. Most of these guys get together and play a game at the <br>end of the year.<br><br><br>Its call the "Pro Bowl"
    edited July 2005
    Ohio State had more draft picks in the past two seasons than any team. <br><br> Mike Doss<br> Kenny Peterson<br> Will Smith<br> Michael Jenkins<br> Craig Krenzel<br> Mike Nugent<br> Matt Wilhelm<br> Simon Fraser<br> Darion Scott<br> Nate Clements<br> Nail Diggs<br> Chris Gamble<br> David Boston<br> Joey Galloway<br> Rob Murphy<br> Ken-Yon Rambo<br> Ahmed Plummer<br> Antoine Winfield<br> Mike Vrabel <br> Robert Smith (old school)<br> Bobby Hoying<br> Jonathan Wells
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    That list was sad sir.<br><br><br>Ill ask you an honest question. <br><br>Do you think that anyone in the world would say that that Ohio State list <br>even comes close to the Miami list?
    edited July 2005
    My second list didn't include some of the best guys - i.e. Eddie George, <br>Shawn Springs and Orlando Pace. Those are All-Pros multiple times. It's <br>closer than you think.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    there are people on your list that I dont even recognize their names.<br><br><br>There isnt anyone on my list that is a pure stud. <br><br><br>Hell, the top 2 defensive players in the game are on there. <br><br>3 of the top running backs in the league are on there.<br><br>The #1 Tight end is on there. <br><br>A few of the best safeties in the league.<br><br>Not to mention a washed up Warren Sapp that was the best defensive tackle <br>in the game for a while.
  • robgatlingrobgatling Senior Member
    edited July 2005
    on that produce. when he includes George, etc. it's a better list. And <br>since your going as old school as michael Irvin, may as well let chemical <br>add Chris Carter, Keith Byars, Chris Speilman, just off the top of my <br>head.
    edited July 2005
    I could go deeper. I think Produce is missing the overall depth of the <br>list. And I don't agree with the top two defensive players and two of the <br>top three running backs angle. That's a bunch of bullshit.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    add them, then compare it again.<br><br><br>There isnt one guy on the Ohio list that is the best player at his <br>position. Orlando Pace is the best arguement you have, and hes a damn <br>Offensive linemen.
    edited July 2005
    what about his career?
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    heres the list of the "defensive player of the year"<br><br><br><br>1999 - Warren Sapp, DT Tampa Bay<br>2000 - Ray Lewis, LB Baltimore<br>2001 - Michael Strahan, DE NY Giants<br>2002 - Derrick Brooks, LB Tampa Bay<br>2003 - Ray Lewis, LB Baltimore <br>2004 - Ed Reed, S Baltimore<br><br><br>4 of the last 6, and the #1 defensive player of the year from the last 2 <br>years was on my list. Hince the fact that the top 2 defensive players in <br>the league came from "The U"
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    George is good, but never ever ever was he the best player at his <br>position. Im a fan of his, but give me a break. They guy is Rafael <br>Palmerio's twin. Hes going to get the stats by the time hes done, but <br>never was the best at his position
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    Right now, the U has the #1 safety, the #1 Middle linebacker and the #1 <br>tight end.<br><br><br>Can you name another school that can say they have 3 of the #1 players in <br>the league at their position?<br><br>Ill save you some time, dont start with Ohio state
  • robgatlingrobgatling Senior Member
    edited July 2005
    Shockey...no way. I would bet that most NFL teams, given the choice, take <br>Gonzalez, Gates, Crumpler before him without thinking. Shockey has <br>trouble getting to the top of the next tier list of Witten, Heap, and <br>Clark. jmo
  • 19671967 Senior Member
    edited July 2005
    Are you a UF fan or a "U" fan???? Maybe you are the reason Zook lost his <br>job, LOL. You let all the "Quote" "unquote" talent wind up in Miami, <br>ROTFLMAO. Do you know FBPIX personally???
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    actually florida is a very deep talent team as well. We dont take in all <br>the "quality" people that miami does. <br><br><br>for example, when the #1 linebacker in the nation came to visit UF we <br>didnt suck his dick. He asked for things we wouldnt give him, he threw a <br>fit. We asked him to leave. He signed with miami not long after, and has <br>been problems ever since.<br><br><br>Yes, I know FBP well. <br><br>I am a UF fan, but I know that virginia tech and Ohio state arent in the <br>same dicussion as Miami when it comes to talent.
  • 19671967 Senior Member
    edited July 2005
    That clears up why you were'nt banned when PATS was. FBPIX interceded.
  • footballpixfootballpix Senior Member
    edited July 2005
    I had no input either way. That move was made by Edward. I support it, <br>however.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    acutally I did get banned. I email ed and asked to be put back. Currently <br>Im under certain "rules"<br><br><br>and the reason that pats isnt back is because he hasnt asked to be back. <br>Thats how I understand it atleast. Pats told me he wasnt going to worry <br>about it for a few.<br><br>Please do your research before you run your mouth about something that you <br>have no clue about.
  • 19671967 Senior Member
    edited July 2005
    I assumed wrong, sorry. Peace and BOL.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited July 2005
    you assumed that since I knew FBP that edward would ban pats and not me? I <br>see you think highly of edward and FBP