Betting Talk

Coll Foots Season Totals plays ....

ChemicalATChemicalAT Senior Member
edited August 2005 in Sports Betting
Here we go ... my first in a series of pre-season prop bets. But first <br>let me warn you all of "going crazy" on these types of bets. The danger in <br>betting futures is that anything can happen between "now and then." And <br>it's a natural impulse of ours to go bigger on these bets since we're so <br>pumped up for the season. Never go more than one unit on these plays - <br>that's my advice. And never play more than 10 future bets per sport. You <br>don't want to be on the hook for 10 units in such a long term proposition. <br>Remember, the main thrust of what we're supposed to be doing is finding <br>value on a weekly basis as the public overreacts to everything ESPN jams <br>down its throats. OK, 'nuff said. <br><br> Here are my two college football season total wins bets for the coming <br>season. <br><br> CALIFORNIA "over 8.5 wins -130" <br><br> I have seen the juice on this bet as high as -150, so if you're going to <br>get in on this, do it soon before the juice rises or the number hits 9. <br> Most people see Cal as having to rebuild this year. But a closer look <br>tells us that's only the case at one or two positions. Losing Rodgers to <br>the NFL is the biggest problem the offense faces, but given Tedford's <br>success at developing QBs and the remaining talent on offense, Cal isn't <br>going to have any problems putting up points. If anything, the Bears might <br>be more brutally effective than they were last year. <br> The strength of the offense this year is the line and running back <br>Marshawn Lynch. Cal won't lose a step with Arrington gone as Lynch is on <br>the verge of stardom and could be college football's most bruising runner. <br>He scored 8 TDs last year and averaged nearly 9 yards per carry. He cannot <br>be tackled by one man in the open field.<br> The QB situation isn't settled right now as JUCO star Ayoob and redshirt <br>frosh Longshore have put on a good battle. Much had been made of Cal's <br>late season receiving problems, as most of last year's top targets got <br>injured and the offense wasn't the same in November/Dec. as it was in <br>Sept./Oct. But the unit is going to be very strong with frosh stud Desean <br>Jackson taking one spot and Ayoob's top JUCO target Lavelle Hawkins taking <br>the other. I saw Jackson play in an HS all-star game with USC super <br>recruit QB Mark Sanchez, and I have never seen two players more ready for <br>the college game than these two. Jackson might already be one of the <br>conference's top five receivers without ever catching a pass.<br> I obviously like the situation either QB steps into as not only will he <br>have some good receivers and Tedford's mentorship to fall back on, but <br>he'll also have one of the nation's best running games to take all the <br>pressure off. <br> Defensively, the preseason annuals tell you Cal lost 8 starters and only <br>three return. But DB McCleskey and DL Lupoi were '03 starters who didn't <br>play last year due to injuries. On top of that, Cal has top JUCO talents <br>stepping into three other positions. The secondary is one of the <br>countries best with McCleskey back and two 6-foot-2 cornerbacks with NFL <br>potential. <br> You have to remember that Tedford has been doing a great job recruiting <br>and getting JUCO talent. Cal is easily a Top 10 team in terms of pure <br>talent. They may not have the same depth of other Top 10 teams, but that <br>department is improving and the starting 22 could hang with anyone. <br> The best part of this bet is we're asking Cal to simply hit 9 wins. The <br>first five games should get us more than half way there: Sacramento State, <br>at Washington, Illinois, at New Mexico State and Arizona. Then, the <br>schedule gets a bit tougher as the cream of the PAC-1O comes calling. But <br>by that time Cal's QB and receivers will have had enough time to put it <br>all together. The USC game is in Berkley this year and nobody has played <br>the Trojans tougher during the past three seasons. That game could send <br>the winner on to the Rose Bowl, and if that's the case, our bet will have <br>been won by then. <br><br><br> PURDUE "over 9 wins -125" <br><br> Purely a schedule play? I think not. Yes, it helps that Purdue doesn't <br>play Michigan or Ohio State this year. But I am not so sure the <br>Boilermakers wouldn't handle both this season anyway. <br> Purdue 2004 was the poster team for bad luck. All losses last year came <br>by a total margin of 14 points. The Boilermakers were a poor -3 in <br>turnover ratio. When you average 31 points per game, and give up 17, <br>you're supposed to be better than 7-5. But that didn't happen as Kyle <br>Orton's dream beginning hit hard times and a young defense made late game <br>mistakes multiple times. <br> This year, all of that turns around. Every starter returns on defense and <br>the offense will have better balance with Brandon Kirsch at QB. <br> Kirsch is no slouch and allows the team to do much more given his <br>mobility. The receivers he works with are excellent and produce major <br>matchup problems. Kyle Ingraham is a 6-foot-9 wideout. Yes, 6-foot-9! <br>Tight end Charles Davis is 6-foot-6 and will play in the NFL next season. <br>This could be Purdue's best offense since Brees left, which isn't saying <br>much as I think Purdue has been a major disappointment annually on <br>offense. But still, it will be good.<br> The defense is what I really like about this team. The Boilermakers held <br>Michigan to just 263 yards of total offense last season. Ohio State <br>managed just 162. Iowa beat Purdue by only two points last season after <br>Purdue was -4 turnovers in the game. What does all of this tell you? <br>Purdue is playing defense comparable to any of the top teams in the <br>country and with a little luck, they not only will sail over this total of <br>9 wins, but might just make it all the way to the Rose Bowl. <br> I am pretty certain the Boilermakers will win their first four games of <br>the season. And I am also confident they win their last three. That's <br>seven wins right there I am confident about and in the other four games, <br>my lean is all Purdue victories, too. I just don't see where this team <br>even loses a game this year and they should be favored in every game this <br>season.

Comments

• SportsGuruSportsGuru Senior Member
    edited August 2005
    ...if I did I would jump on board that Purdue one in particular and in a <br>hurry. I think your analysis of 2004 is dead on and am looking for a nice <br>rebound year from them as well.<br><br>Good luck this season AT!<br>SportsGuru
  • ChemicalATChemicalAT Senior Member
    edited August 2005
    looking forward to hearing from you this season. I am sure you'll do well <br>as always. <br><br> AT
  • Duke30Duke30 Senior Member
    edited August 2005
    Just some thoughts to add to your analysis.<br><br>Soph saftey Torri Williams is out for the season with an injury. Kyle <br>Smith played most of last year but also dropped many INTs that cost a win <br>or two, most notably against Wisconsin.<br><br>The top WR recruit, Selwyn Lymon, will be academically ineligible. They <br>have a number of other weapons but he was supposed to add to the receiving <br>corps.<br><br>Coach Tiller has mentioned that he is very impressed with RS frosh QB <br>Curtis Painter and he could challenge Kirsch for the starting role in the <br>new "option" offense that will be implemented.<br><br>Not that this is a huge factor, but season ticket sales are up about 7% <br>from last year, topping 41,000 right now. And when school starts you can <br>expect at least another 4,000. Ross-Ade will be full every week.<br><br>You mentioned the schedule and they have a very good chance to start 6-0 <br>but then go on the road to Wiscy and Penn State. Madison has been okay to <br>the Boilers but they always struggle at Penn State. If they lose both of <br>those games the bet goes down the tubes.<br><br>Good luck though, I will be cheering right with you.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited August 2005
    Good write-ups AT.
  • footballpixfootballpix Senior Member
    edited August 2005
    Great writeups, AT and good info from Duke and Guru too.