Betting Talk

Sports Book Worth Reading

SISportsSISports Senior Member
edited August 2005 in Sports Betting
Just finished reading a wonderful baseball book "Praying for Gil Hodges" <br>by Thomas Oliphant. <br>It is more than a look at the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers championship world <br>series season. It touches on the race issue during the 50's, the love of <br>the game for one young boy and his parents, as well as the entire borough <br>of Brooklyn capturing the majesty of baseball through the tough times. <br>It is a winner!<br><br>SI

Comments

• novacpenovacpe Senior Member
    edited August 2005
    i've heard of that book and now i gotta go get it.<br>man, i miss that team....i lived and died on every pitch listening to them <br>on the radio when i was a kid<br>its so sad, but thats whats wrong with baseball today....there are no <br>teams like brooklyn anymore in baseball they played for the love of the <br>game
  • SISportsSISports Senior Member
    edited August 2005
    Did you realize that 40 years ago 1 out of 8 USA residents either lived or <br>had lived in Brooklyn or they have a relative who was living in Brooklyn <br>or had lived there at one time.<br>That is why the team was so popular around the country as well as Jackie <br>Robinson's presence had much of minority population in the urban cities <br>rooting for the Dodgers.<br>Today Brooklyn would be the 4th populated city in the USA if it was not <br>part of NYC. <br>The Brooklyn Cyclones the Mets single A team sells out every game played <br>down by Coney Island and the city could support a third major league again <br>like it did years ago.<br><br>SI
  • novacpenovacpe Senior Member
    edited August 2005
    yeah, i lived in lancaster pa and the phillies were so bad i latched onto <br>brooklyn because i cause get all the games on the radio. i hated the <br>yankees (like everyone else) and could at one time name you the line up <br>batting averages eras or if campenalla had a hang nail......man i miss <br>those days