Betting Talk

Fantasy Football Advice Thread

TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
edited August 2018 in Sports Betting
Figured I'm sure that I'll be back again looking for advice on trades/lineup stuff, so I'll start up a generic thread for it...

Got some big dilemmas this week with fantasy football. I just entered a new Dynasty League this year. Cliff notes...12 team league with passing heavy scoring (6pt for Passing TDs and .5 PPR). $200 auction cap, with a 2 round rookie draft every year with pre-set salaries based upon slot. Then rest of players went in the player pool for the auction.

Coming out of the draft now, I have until Tuesday to give my players contracts. I can give up to 4 four year contract, 5 three year contracts, 6 two year contracts, and 2 Restricted Free Agents (for a RFA, it just delays my decision on them until a year from now at which time I can give them an additional 1, 2, or 3 year contract). The contract is for the $ amount that you paid for them in the auction, and cutting them before the contract ends gives you a 30% cap hit of their contract value (so if I cut a $20 player who is signed for next year, I'd have dead cap space of $6 per year). Cutting a $1 player has no penalty.

Talking to a couple of friends in the league, and it sounds like we are approaching the contracts much differently, so I wanted to get some thoughts from the board. They are approaching it more along the lines of locking their studs (at least the ones that aren't really old) longer term. One of them got Gurley at $58, and was going to sign him for 4 years. They figured take your best players and sign them the longest.

I was looking more in terms of locking up cheap/young guys or guys that I think I got the best deals up for the longer contracts. Ie, I think Will Fuller at $4 is better for me long term than Kareem Hunt at $47. So I'm looking at guys like Fuller ($4), Doctson ($1), Crowell ($4), Mahomes ($7), Edmonds ($1), Daesean Hamilton ($1), Eifert ($1) as my best longer term options.

Any thoughts on the better strategy? I guess I'll be screwed if I zig while everyone else zags, and I go into next year with a bunch of $ and all the studs off the board since everyone is keeping them. But I'd think that long term, the strategy is getting the best deals on longer term guys, not just keeping the best players the longest.

Anyone else ever do a league like this? With it being the first year of it, no idea what to expect. I have until Tuesday to finalize all of my contracts.

Comments

• kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    In a 16 team Dynasty Keeper League(3 max)..

I am picking third overall then next pick is 3.03..assuming Barkley goes first..do I flip a coin between Penny and Jones II?
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited August 2018
    kcburgh wrote: »
    In a 16 team Dynasty Keeper League(3 max)..

I am picking third overall then next pick is 3.03..assuming Barkley goes first..do I flip a coin between Penny and Jones II?

Is this just rookies? Who else is out there in the FA pool?
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    TommyL wrote: »
    Is this just rookies? Who else is out there in the FA pool?

keepers have not been declared..draft is Tuesday but highest possible player I am speculating is Michael Thomas and possibly Smith-Schuster..also thinking if I am first drafting a rb in round 3 roughly 50th overall I will be really weak at that position.
  • NortheastNortheast Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    TommyL wrote: »
    I was looking more in terms of locking up cheap/young guys or guys that I think I got the best deals up for the longer contracts. Ie, I think Will Fuller at $4 is better for me long term than Kareem Hunt at $47. So I'm looking at guys like Fuller ($4), Doctson ($1), Crowell ($4), Mahomes ($7), Edmonds ($1), Daesean Hamilton ($1), Eifert ($1) as my best longer term options.

Any thoughts on the better strategy? I guess I'll be screwed if I zig while everyone else zags, and I go into next year with a bunch of $ and all the studs off the board since everyone is keeping them. But I'd think that long term, the strategy is getting the best deals on longer term guys, not just keeping the best players the longest.

Anyone else ever do a league like this? With it being the first year of it, no idea what to expect. I have until Tuesday to finalize all of my contracts.

Have not done a league like this but it seems like there is something to be said for factoring in value players and not just star players for longer term contracts. Expected fantasy points (in later years as well), contract price value, age/durability, and your fantasy team’s depth by position all play into the contract. Quarterback seems like a safer long term investment than a running back. Kareem Hunt is probably overvalued after his huge rookie season. Maybe he has a sophomore slump? Defensive attention to Hill and Kelce creates opportunities but I’m not a buyer at a high salary. However on a related note I do think Mahomes at a low salary is worth the risk. It may take him a season to find his groove but he’s got his feet wet already and he’s got weapons around him. The argument could be made that if you like Mahomes then it paints Hunt’s future value in a more positive light. Eifert at say $1 is a risk worth taking but I don’t trust his health for a long term deal. He does offer great TD upside though. Other than Mahomes I’m not very excited as a GM for a long term deal but maybe you can find some middle ground with the other guys if you like their potential.