Betting Talk

? for Baseball Guys - Chris Davis

TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
edited January 2016 in Sports Betting
I'm an O's fan, but don't follow baseball nearly as closely as I did back in the day. Any thoughts on the O's giving Chris Davis 7 years for 161 million? I would have thought something like Upton or Cespedes and a 3rd/4th type Starting Pitcher would have been a better way to spend the money, but maybe I undervalue Davis (mostly because he strikes out so much). I feel like with the way the O's spend money (or don't spend money I guess), this could be a really rough contract in years 5/6/7 when he's in his late 30's, still striking out a ton, and loses some of his power. Anyone of you guys have thoughts on the reported contract?

Comments

• StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited January 2016
    I think it is a terrible contract. His production has been all over the place in his career. His two big years came in "contract" years which always scares me away from signing a guy to a long term deal. He is 30 and inconsistent. I'd be scared to offer more than 2 or 3 years. The fact he re-signed after turning down their first big offer tells me the rest of the league agreed.
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm so glad the Orioles did the deal, maybe Mets can finally resign Cepsedes now.... Wishful thinking
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    In 2014, he proved he's capable of hitting below the mendoza line, which means he's clearly consistent enough to give 23 million dollars a year until he's 37. There's just no way this ends badly...
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    IMO it was a bad contact but feel the O's were in a position to do something to keep the fans and players believing they could win. This is a 500 team that hasn't done anything and people were getting restless with them and not for the lack of trying it's just they didn't want to over spend on a player and in the end they were forced to. In the old days he would have had pinstrips on because the Yankee first baseman is just about done or they could have had Tex play first Davis DH because I wouldn't expect another year from Alex like the last one. But as for the Yankees I like the direction they're going. Just show inprovement year after year build the farm and time will pass and they will be on top again. Got off the subject a little there. You'll have to excuse me. Have a good weekend. W&M today Tommy +the 5.5 Game is off already. Florida/Old Miss should be a dandy.