Betting Talk

I hope this concussion movie.....

2sportguy2sportguy Senior Member
edited December 2015 in Sports Betting
Bombs and is to never be heard from again.

First football, next will be hockey , then probably MMA then who knows what after that.......Lets just encourage our kids too all play video games and hang out on social media all day , forget about all the positives that sports like football provide.

Demonizing athletic achievements....brilliant.

Comments

• TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited December 2015
    I'd hope that the result of all of this is that people will understand the impact that a concussion can have on someone's long term health, understand how to identify and treat them, etc. There is a pretty big middle ground between kids being forced to play video games with no other sports alternatives, and the age of football players just having their "bell rung" or a player being thought of as soft if they had a brain injury and weren't going to play through it. Football has made a lot of great strides in the area of concussions, but there are other sports that are still archaic when it comes to them (exhibit A would be soccer, where players will be knocked out cold and/or stumbling around and yet back on the field playing a few minutes later). I applaud the NFL now for getting the 3rd party doctors involved and not leaving the player's health to guys that are on a team's payroll.
  • olemiss10olemiss10 Member
    edited December 2015
    Bennet Omalu deserves a lot of credit for bringing this DISEASE to the attention to the NFL which was keeping it quiet (scum bag move) . Its a pretty ridiculous comment man when the NFL is hiding significant injuries to players brains. Shows that this is a way bigger issue when half the 49ERS D retires in a year. Hope the movie does well and brings some awareness to the sport and I am saying that in a positive light. Yes football has positives, but also has negatives too. I played hockey for 18 years and think that it is way less risky for head injuries/concussions unless you are a tough guy and fight every game. There's nothing demonizing about trying to protect someones health.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    2sportguy wrote: »
    Bombs and is to never be heard from again.

First football, next will be hockey , then probably MMA then who knows what after that.......Lets just encourage our kids too all play video games and hang out on social media all day , forget about all the positives that sports like football provide.

Demonizing athletic achievements....brilliant.

No one is demonizing athletic achievement, if anything is being demonized it's greed and the willingness to utilize and glorify the athletic achievements of others to further that greed.
  • 2sportguy2sportguy Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Ask all the kids who would not be able to attend college or university without football what they think about concussion risks . The dangers in hockey , especially Canadian junior hockey are as real as anywhere , trust me , I played. But the rewards far outweigh the risks and I would not trade it for anything . Sidney Crosby has had 3-4 concussions that we know about . We all know how violent football is , regardless of what the nfl has said over the years , all those who voluntarily agreed to play knew the risks . Can only imagine how many young inter city youths may not be permitted by their parents to play football after seeing or hearing about this movie . Sad.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Ask all the kids who would not be able to attend college or university without football what they think about concussion risks .

That's kinda the whole point. Before this new wave of concussion awareness, they probably just did whatever the coaches wanted them to do (ie played through a concussion) because they thought that sitting out with no "visible" injury looked bad. And concussion awareness in no way suddenly prevents these same kids from gaining these same opportunities
    But the rewards far outweigh the risks and I would not trade it for anything .

The "risks" are brain damage, death, taking a good chunk of time off of your life expectancy, etc. Maybe you wouldn't "trade it for anything", but there are plenty out there that would choose walking away from football (or whatever other sport) to save their health. I'd never keep my son from playing football, and I myself wouldn't have chosen to stop playing football simply due to the risk of getting a concussion. But I'd certainly be much more careful today with him when it comes to playing through multiple concussions, or returning to the field without being cleared by a doctor.
    We all know how violent football is , regardless of what the nfl has said over the years , all those who voluntarily agreed to play knew the risks .

I disagree. We knew that football was violent and that there were risks of getting hurt on the field, but I don't think that anyone knew 10 years ago how many after effects football would have on people 10, 20, or 30+ years down the line,