Betting Talk 2015-2016 Football Survivor Contest

Comments

• duritodurito Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Notre Dame -9.5
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Obi One wrote: »
    I've read about 500 articles on the NFL in the last month, compared to zero for CFB. I simply have no clue about that sport. NFL is the sport I want to beat.

When it comes to the contest, do I have start this week? Or will you just see who gets the longest streak going? Or maybe start next week for everybody? Sorry for messing things up.

Unfortunately, you must start this week. Good luck.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Tortuga wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you must start this week. Good luck.

Ok, no problem,
    Thanks for the assist Durito.

My pick: Notre Dame -9.5
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Michigan +5.5
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    BYU +7.5
  • SnakeheadSnakehead Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Duke -7.5
  • warrior2790warrior2790 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Boise St. -12.5
  • fishboomfishboom Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Eastern Michigan +6.5

gl
    boom
  • bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Florida St -29.5
  • JMU_DegenerateJMU_Degenerate Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Tortuga - FYI the UCF line is wrong as currently listed at +14.5.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    TCU -14.5
  • rcmoneyrcmoney Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    BYU plus 7 1/2
    edited September 2015
    ebemiss wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you just make every spread with a half point so there are no pushes? Move it up or down a half.

So did you just end up adjusting the lines 0.5 pts to the fave and give anyone who likes the dog an extra 0.5 pts? wouldnt it be more fair just to say a push is a loss?
    edited September 2015
    Baylor -35.5
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Notre Dame -9.5
  • D-ICEMAN1288D-ICEMAN1288 Junior Member
    edited September 2015
    South Carolina -2 1/2
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited September 2015
    So did you just end up adjusting the lines 0.5 pts to the fave and give anyone who likes the dog an extra 0.5 pts? wouldnt it be more fair just to say a push is a loss?

As long as everyone is playing the same lines, either is fair. Use it to your advantage.
  • CoolsCools Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Stanford -12.5
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    I'm sorry I have to say this. It doesn't cost a dime to enter and no matter what kind gesture is given someone or someone's have a complaint. Solved the problem don't play show them your not satisfied with the rules.

I see other placesthat have contests where you put up money and the rules are set and nobody complains play or don't play.:idoit:

I
    edited September 2015
    I also am sorry you had to say something that didnt need said. I respect you a lot OT, but please dont jump to extremes. I am not one of the serial complainers on BT. I made an observation, as did someone else earlier. Rather than have someone at RAS have to adjust every line by half a point to the fave for college and nfl every week it just seems easier to leave the lines as is and call a push a loss. Thats my observation and they can choose to act on my observation or not. There was no complaint, at all, in any way. I appreciate the free roll contest and look forward to a spirited competition.
    edited September 2015
    TommyL wrote: »
    As long as everyone is playing the same lines, either is fair. Use it to your advantage.

Fair point. That half point could be huge once NFL starts and we move the line off 3 or 7. Good luck everyone.
    edited September 2015
    Fair point. That half point could be huge once NFL starts and we move the line off 3 or 7. Good luck everyone.

No doubt. Though my guess is that Tortuga won't simply add a half to every favorite, but adjust them around the 3/7 based upon how they are juiced (if they are juiced heavily one way or the other).
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited September 2015

It's a freebie have some fun with it there's always people unhappy. It's all me me me how about a Thank You for the contest and deal with it and trust the man's judgement on how to handle it. A .5 point parlay card that comes out on Thursday is the best way but since it wasn't chosen that way just deal with it.

Tommy the word huge is a little over stated first off it's not a year long contest so it's not like you can take advantage every week and have it work for you perfectly every week and the 16% NFL games that fall on 3 is true but it's not always the favorite that falls on 3 so the % has to be less then that. Granted it's the biggest key number. Tommy question you buy on and off 7 during the season I think not so lets not throw the 7 in there I mean why not the 10 and 14 do you buy on and off them. JMU you said That you always had a lot of respect for me while I had a lot of respect for a lot of people here also but when I see it's a me me me then I lost respect also.

That wasn't an observation that was a complaint. Spin it anyway you want it's a whine and the best part you could take advantage of it if you think it's going to get you there week after after week. People complain with a freebie. There's one person who wanted to start it the first week of the NFL because he doesn't read anything pretaining to college football forget about the other 50/60 guys lets accommodate me. Don't worry you didn't see me around much during baseball you'll see me less during football. I haven't read one sentence of football All I know is I like Carolina to go over 8.5 wins.
    edited September 2015
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Tommy the word huge is a little over stated first off it's not a year long contest so it's not like you can take advantage every week and have it work for you perfectly every week and the 16% NFL games that fall on 3 is true but it's not always the favorite that falls on 3 so the % has to be less then that. Granted it's the biggest key number. Tommy question you buy on and off 7 during the season I think not so lets not throw the 7 in there I mean why not the 10 and 14 do you buy on and off them.

I'm saying "huge" in the sense that rather than flipping coins, picking the right spots could give you a 58% chance of winning a game instead of 50%. That's pretty "huge" to me over hundreds or thousands of plays, but in a contest like this, it likely won't be the difference between winning it and not winning it (though I'll look for any edge that I can get).

I don't play too much football, and those games that I do play are just following others and/or playing off-market stuff. So no, I'm not buying points in any spots.
  • ericvandenericvanden Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Notre Dame (-9.5)
  • spiderman77spiderman77 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Va Tech +11.5
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Florida International +14.5
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    177 byu +7.5 sat