Betting Talk

Lots of questions...

CoolsCools Senior Member
edited December 2014 in Sports Betting
Since everyone is in a piss-poor mood these days, and presumably losing money, I thought I'd ask some tough questions. They may be right, they may be wrong, they may be indifferent. Be honest, or don't, just some talking points. Questions are open to all.

How much have you won/lost gambling in your sports betting career (not looking for units, dollar figures)?

How much have you lost this season betting RAS?

Do you gamble to (A) have fun (B) try to make some money but financially stable if not (C) make a living?

Golfer1000, can we play golf sometime?

Old-Timer, how old are you? Are you older than Robert Di Nero?

RAS, why did you add more handicappers to your team when you were successful with fewer? Do you think you are still better off with more...as the old adage goes, "Less is more."

RAS, what is your handicapping methodology? Are you more subjective or objective?

Goats, are you also a difficult person in real life or does it just come with "Moderator" job (please provide examples)?

StevieY, you've been down the past few years, is there an RAS promotional jinx (ala buffet gambler)?

StevieY, you recently mentioned "football has sucked" do you feel bad for the subscribers that just paid for football?

Did anyone bet on where Jim Harbaugh will be coaching next year? Niners +500 got hammered by someone, I can only assume it was Goats.

RonyBallgame, is your inside PGA source a caddie? Can we play golf?

TheReb, you're not really working for the MannKind shorts are you ;) ?

Originalokie, how long have you lived in OK? My dad grew up in OKC, Northwest and 23rd.

Do you feel there is bigoted monitoring on this forum?

Dr. H, are you really a doctor (meaning MD, PhD, etc.)?

Dr. H, are you interested in learning more about Christianity?

RAS, you recently released a 2-unit halftime play. Last year, I inquired why there wasn't more halftime plays. Your response was something along the lines of, "We need to do a better job of that." Clearly, there are good halftime opportunities every night in basketball (all sports really), why not release more?

StevieY, you recently said that "November sucks" in CBB, why is it that some handicappers call early season schedules "Sweet Spots" (ala RAS) but others need time to beat the odds? You take off first week of NFL, would you recommend doing that for other cappers?

cpech...how is life? Hope you are well physically and mentally.

TommyL, how can we convert more people into believers (I know as a Roman-Catholic this isn't really your prerogative but just curious)?

TommyL, are you really Landon Donovan?

Jafar...oh wait, you disappeared like a sorcerer.

BigKahuna...that is a tasty burger.

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Cools,
    Now that's some funny and interesting stuff you posted. While u r in the question mode, let me pose one to you. According to your avatar you live near the infamous Jay Cohen I presume. I'm assuming since the name is synonymous to gaming. Please ask Jay WTF happened to his standup WSEX? He has belittled most of the competition while they were playing the 'shell' game and since their demise he has gone under the bed.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited December 2014
    I'll handle mine.

StevieY, you've been down the past few years, is there an RAS promotional jinx (ala buffet gambler)?

No. The 1st year was no problem, last year was down mostly due to the NHL(CFB was slightly positive, NFL slightly negative, CBB slightly positive, none were great or even good but I wouldn't call it bad), football has been bad this year, way too early to lump NHL and CBB in there for this year.

StevieY, you recently mentioned "football has sucked" do you feel bad for the subscribers that just paid for football?

Yes. As bad as it has been this year, the last couple weeks have been frustrating because we were so close to having great weeks. A missed Gostkowski very makeable FG late in the NE/GB game and Joe Flacco making the worst decision I have ever seen a NFL QB make turns what easily could have been a 3-0 day(and 2nd straight undefeated NFL week) to a 1-2 day. A C Fla D meltdown in the 4th qtr yesterday blew an under. Some people still were working on a push before the hail mary killed that as well. WMU last weekend was even worse. When things are going bad, those things happen. When things are going great, Gostkowski makes the FG, Joe Flacco takes the sack, C Fla doesn't fall apart or Northeastern last weekend(the worst of them all, -11 up 18 with 2:30 left, wins by 9) or Wyoming's meltdown tonight for that matter. You got to take the good with the bad. Not saying the entire year has been like that, but the last two weeks have been frustrating. I've been very inconsistent though.

StevieY, you recently said that "November sucks" in CBB, why is it that some handicappers call early season schedules "Sweet Spots" (ala RAS) but others need time to beat the odds? You take off first week of NFL, would you recommend doing that for other cappers?
    I never tell anyone else what to do. You need to find your own comfort zone. It drives me nuts when people act like their way is the only way and everyone else is wrong. I'm not saying anyone on here has done that but when RAS was stopping their service in mid January because they felt their biggest advantage was early in the year, everyone took that as it's impossible to win in January and February. They never said that. They just said they feel their biggest edge is early in the year. I had at least a dozen people email me asking if they could just buy my CBB thru mid-January because "no one can win in February". I'm assuming because of the mid-January date, they were taking that from RAS's dates. Because of that, I broke down my last 6 years by month to show them why they may want to re-think their idea.

Nov 52.3%
    Dec 57.9%
    Jan 59.6%
    Feb 56.7%
    Mar thru conf tourneys 54.4%
    1st weekend NCAA tourney 53.0%
    2nd week and beyond 16.67%(yeah that's right 5-25, I no longer do those weeks :) )

This is why I bristle when I hear "it is impossible to win in late jan-feb". I haven't had a "conference season" under 55%. Everyone is different. I start off slow in every sport. The major reason is probably because I do multiple sports, I don't do as much pre-season research as say RAS does. I do some and I usually try to tread slowly early in the year but it obviously isn't working. I have tried so many different things but obviously none have fixed the issue so this is probably the last year I play early in any season. The above numbers will tell you what I have known for a while, when my model kicks in and I can see teams play, I do better. I watch games differently than most, not all, I'm sure there are people who see the same things I do, but I feel that helps me. Those are my strengths, other people have different strengths that they should use. There are many people who are great early in seasons. Pre-season prep is sooooooo boring to me. I do it, but not as in-depth as the people who thrive early in the year. I'm better off saving my time and jumping in later, week 2 or 3 in football(if I do it anymore) and hockey, week 3 in CBB. I actually thought i was doing better early in the year the last couple seasons, I saw 28-18 and 23-16 in November and thought I was on to something, but I noticed in both years, it all came in the last week of the month, so I broke Nov down to early in the month and the last week of the month.

2008-09 Early 8-13, Late 7-4
    2009-10 Early 5-11, Late 7-6
    2010-11 Early 2-3, Late 5-5
    2011-12 Early 19-18, Late 9-0
    2012-13 Early 13-12, Late 10-4
    2013-14 Early 8-12, Late 8-4
    Total Early 55-69 Late 46-23

This year Early 6-10, Late 10-6

Yeah, last week of Nov is a good time to start. :)
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Like Stevie, I'll just address my question...

Goats, are you also a difficult person in real life or does it just come with "Moderator" job (please provide examples)?

I can confidently say you are one of the few people on the planet who thinks I'm a difficult person (which is fine, no problem with your opinion, just giving an honest response). Not sure what examples you're looking for, but in real life I'm quiet, laid back, lazy, and likely considered boring to some. I prefer to relax and watch TV or go out to dinner with my wife than just about anything else. I strongly dislike drama, conflict, and judgment. I'm no hippie, but I wish peace and happiness for everyone, however they choose to achieve it.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited December 2014

Cools,

Thanks for asking and also thanks for a thread like this. I'm sure others have had some of these same questions, myself included. Things are going pretty well for me since my debacle on here. I often find myself thinking about how bad things were. I get frustrated when people throe that in my face on here when they think I am being ignorant. It comes with the territory and I am just happy I had a place to vent when all of that happened. The alternatives at the time were not so good.

I started dating a girl very shortly after all that took place that's changed everything for me financially. I grew up in a family where I was never taught about finances. My dad paid for everything....college, cars, trips..... You name it. She has worked with me to find a way to where I can still enjoy gambling but its a hobby and we budget an amount I can afford to lose. So while some make fun of my $50, $100 and $200 plays, it's what allows me to still do what I love.

I coach high school football for a 4A school here and my team finished 9-0 this year and we outscored our opponents 489-212. I have learned quite a bit but I have a long way to go. I work at an elementary school and spend all my time with kids from preschool to 5th grade. I'm Mr. Cody and I absolutely love it there. I started going to church and have found a nice second family at church. I found that I love more of a contemporary service and it doesnt seem so church like but more like a gathering of friends to say thanks for all I've got.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Cools- yes we can play some golf. Let me know when and where.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    TheReb, you're not really working for the MannKind shorts are you ?

LOL.......a resounding NO

and after reading the following from Cpech:

"I started going to church and have found a nice second family at church. I found that I love more of a contemporary service and it doesnt seem so church like but more like a gathering of friends to say thanks for all I've got."

I better tone down some of the thoughts I had for his cousin's bachelor weekend her in Vegas ;)
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    If we can answer a question not directed to us.....

Pretty sure Dr. H is a math teacher
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Cools wrote: »
    TommyL, how can we convert more people into believers (I know as a Roman-Catholic this isn't really your prerogative but just curious)?

TommyL, are you really Landon Donovan?

I'm definitely not Landon Donovan, unfortunately my soccer playing days ended in about 6th grade when I finished playing CYO (well, outside of the cup of coffee that I had playing intermural soccer in college when my dorm's team was short players and needed a body for a couple of games). Though I am a big Landon fan, and think that he's misunderstood by a lot of people. Plus, I think that thing that makes me like him most is how much the Mexicans hate him (it says something about a player when he's their arch-rival's most hated player).

As far as religion, I really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. I believe that religion is a personal thing, and it makes no difference to me if other people believe/don't believe the same things that I do. And I'm probably not the prototypical Roman Catholic as I'm pro-same sex marriage, pro-choice, don't believe that sex outside of marriage is wrong, pro-death penalty in some cases, etc. So at the end of the day, I'm fine talking about religion with people, but think that it's really a personal choice.
  • CoolsCools Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Cools,
    Now that's some funny and interesting stuff you posted. While u r in the question mode, let me pose one to you. According to your avatar you live near the infamous Jay Cohen I presume. I'm assuming since the name is synonymous to gaming. Please ask Jay WTF happened to his standup WSEX? He has belittled most of the competition while they were playing the 'shell' game and since their demise he has gone under the bed.

Thanks Ron, trying to lighten the mood a little, and gather some information.

I have actually never heard of Jay Cohen. My 21-month-old son's name is Cohen. I'm a stay-at-home dad, while also working from home, so I am always close to him ;) Just a coincidence.
    edited December 2014
    Goats wrote: »
    you are one of the few people on the planet who thinks I'm a difficult person

Oh, I'm pretty sure a BT poll would show otherwise. But hey, like you said, just an opinion, no worries.
    edited December 2014
    cpech56 wrote: »

Cools,

Thanks for asking and also thanks for a thread like this. I'm sure others have had some of these same questions, myself included. Things are going pretty well for me since my debacle on here. I often find myself thinking about how bad things were. I get frustrated when people throe that in my face on here when they think I am being ignorant. It comes with the territory and I am just happy I had a place to vent when all of that happened. The alternatives at the time were not so good.

I started dating a girl very shortly after all that took place that's changed everything for me financially. I grew up in a family where I was never taught about finances. My dad paid for everything....college, cars, trips..... You name it. She has worked with me to find a way to where I can still enjoy gambling but its a hobby and we budget an amount I can afford to lose. So while some make fun of my $50, $100 and $200 plays, it's what allows me to still do what I love.

I coach high school football for a 4A school here and my team finished 9-0 this year and we outscored our opponents 489-212. I have learned quite a bit but I have a long way to go. I work at an elementary school and spend all my time with kids from preschool to 5th grade. I'm Mr. Cody and I absolutely love it there. I started going to church and have found a nice second family at church. I found that I love more of a contemporary service and it doesnt seem so church like but more like a gathering of friends to say thanks for all I've got.

Love hearing all of this big guy! Very happy you've got life back on track. And very happy to hear you've found a good church to call home. There is a huge misunderstanding that church is all fire and brimstone and confession and making you feel bad about yourself. Most churches these days are completely the opposite. A place where you can have a second family of people that share your same beliefs. A lot of fun socializing goes on, our young adults group meets at the Stone Brewery every week!
    edited December 2014
    TheReb wrote: »
    I better tone down some of the thoughts I had for his cousin's bachelor weekend her in Vegas ;)

No need Reb! Christians can indulge in all Vegas has to offer because we can have a good time anywhere too, remember, we're forever forgiven ;) I always like to joke that I need to hang out with "sinners" and do sinful things so I can tell them about God haha.
  • procapprocap Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    StevieY wrote: »
    I'm better off saving my time and jumping in later, week 2 or 3 in football(if I do it anymore)

Stevie, always enjoy reading your posts like this. Fwiw, I thought your college football stuff was very good this year. Your CLV was as good as it's ever been, especially on sides. I thought you made a lot of very strong plays on sides and the market certainly agreed. I'd hate to see you stop doing CFB.
    edited December 2014
    procap wrote: »
    Stevie, always enjoy reading your posts like this. Fwiw, I thought your college football stuff was very good this year. Your CLV was as good as it's ever been, especially on sides. I thought you made a lot of very strong plays on sides and the market certainly agreed. I'd hate to see you stop doing CFB.

The joy of CLV. As my CLV increased each year, the results decreased. My plays have never been CLV friendly. I use the box score and the box score says I have been unlucky but that's assuming the "box score" formula is still predictive. I'll find that out in the spring.

I'm making no decision this close to the season. When spring is here and it is time for me to do my football check, I'll know then by how I feel about it. :)
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited December 2014

No I'm Not. I'll be 65 this coming Feb 27 Robert De Niro was 71 this pass year.
  • golfguru1golfguru1 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »

No I'm Not. I'll be 65 this coming Feb 27 Robert De Niro was 71 this pass year.

Lot of knowledge in them 65 years, always enjoy all your posts and insights. Also great thread, thanks.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Goats wrote: »
    Like Stevie, I'll just address my question...

I can confidently say you are one of the few people on the planet who thinks I'm a difficult person (which is fine, no problem with your opinion, just giving an honest response). Not sure what examples you're looking for, but in real life I'm quiet, laid back, lazy, and likely considered boring to some. I prefer to relax and watch TV or go out to dinner with my wife than just about anything else. I strongly dislike drama, conflict, and judgment. I'm no hippie, but I wish peace and happiness for everyone, however they choose to achieve it.

Considering your assessment of yourself-- I'd strongly suggest a more cuddly avatar.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Considering your assessment of yourself-- I'd strongly suggest a more cuddly avatar.

I had one a while back I think, but I do have portray myself as an authority figure ya know. :)
    edited December 2014
    Okay, we have the mistaken idenity taken care of. Glad to know u don't idolize a convicted felon and PR guy for a ponzi scheme. Another puzzle needs unravelling. This ?...............Do you feel there is bigoted monitoring on this forum?
    Man, that's outta left field. Absolutely no hint of it with these watchdogs.
    edited December 2014
    Okay, we have the mistaken idenity taken care of. Glad to know u don't idolize a convicted felon and PR guy for a ponzi scheme. Another puzzle needs unravelling. This ?...............Do you feel there is bigoted monitoring on this forum?

Ron did you hear about Julio. Was with us at the Nugget then went to the Mirage in 98, and Aria when it open. Big Man deep floor Craps Sup when at the Nugget.
    edited December 2014
    No, but remember him though. What happened?
  • procapprocap Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    StevieY wrote: »
    The joy of CLV. As my CLV increased each year, the results decreased. My plays have never been CLV friendly. I use the box score and the box score says I have been unlucky but that's assuming the "box score" formula is still predictive. I'll find that out in the spring.

I'm making no decision this close to the season. When spring is here and it is time for me to do my football check, I'll know then by how I feel about it. :)

It seems like you have God-awful luck with plays that crush the closing line. I think I remember Goats even commenting about that before. It is quite remarkable. I remember we were on the same CFB total early in the year, NIU/UNLV over, terrible line and we beat the close by something like 8 points. It was a sluggish start and I can remember thinking to myself, "not the StevieY curse..."

Do you think going to the paid service as opposed to posting on the forum had anything to do with the increased line value? It'd probably have to be good for something, but a market like CFB is quick to correct any mistakes, so it's probably not nearly the amount some people may think. And your release times haven't changed significantly. Therefore, considering other factors, I'd conclude you are originating some pretty strong plays. Of course, the shitty part about a sport like CFB, is the limited volume. Variance can be a major bitch. I think you'll like what you find out during the spring. My money would be on you to have a strong year next in CFB.

Glad to see you on E Michigan today, let's hit a damn 3 :)
    edited December 2014
    procap wrote: »
    It seems like you have God-awful luck with plays that crush the closing line. I think I remember Goats even commenting about that before. It is quite remarkable. I remember we were on the same CFB total early in the year, NIU/UNLV over, terrible line and we beat the close by something like 8 points. It was a sluggish start and I can remember thinking to myself, "not the StevieY curse..."

Do you think going to the paid service as opposed to posting on the forum had anything to do with the increased line value? It'd probably have to be good for something, but a market like CFB is quick to correct any mistakes, so it's probably not nearly the amount some people may think. And your release times haven't changed significantly. Therefore, considering other factors, I'd conclude you are originating some pretty strong plays. Of course, the shitty part about a sport like CFB, is the limited volume. Variance can be a major bitch. I think you'll like what you find out during the spring. My money would be on you to have a strong year next in CFB.

Glad to see you on E Michigan today, let's hit a damn 3 :)

I don't think moving to a paid service has increased the line value. Actually the increased CLV has been in reverse with the amount of subscribers. Most of the CLV has been secondary, movement well after release.

Luck? You mean like going to take a shower and seeing the NYI up 3-0 after 1 period, come back after showering and eating lunch to see it is 3-3 in the 2nd? :(
    edited December 2014
    No, but remember him though. What happened?

He passed away on thanksgiving day Massive Heart Attack on a cruise while scuba diving. He had told his wife that he didn't feel well and was going back to the boat so after a few minutes shes see's what she thinks he's still scuba diving and goes up to him and touches him and when he doesn't move she thinks he's fooling around and when she turned him over he was forming at the mouth and by the time they got to him he was in a coma with brain damage and then a day later they told her no brain activity. They got him to San Diego and family was call and he's gone. They were in Mexico and they wouldn't take him without payment and maxed out her credit card for 30k. That part I don't know for sure because of course I'm not asking his wife but the rest she told me when she called. A long time good friend.
    He will be missed by many.
    edited December 2014
    He was the big guy with kinda rough complexion? Sorry to hear that. Very personable and ran a good game. Your other sup from Pittsburgh also died? Short guy, forgot his name. Very up on Pittsburgh sports.

These hospitals have a penchant for robbing patients and their family. A longtime friend and BM from NY was recently admitted for chest pains. Maybe caused by Geno Smith. Anyway, he was carrying a hefty BR and most of it was stolen. His son raised holy hell and it won't end well.

Whatever happend to onea ur sups that had albino type hair? Short guy that looked like he was ina daze. He was supposed to marry a waitress from the coffee shop and she got cold feet and ran away ?
    edited December 2014
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    Cools- yes we can play some golf. Let me know when and where.

San Diego, Torrey Pines...
    edited December 2014

Dr. H may have more on that when he gets around to this thread. Those were his words from awhile back...
    edited December 2014
    He was the big guy with kinda rough complexion? Sorry to hear that. Very personable and ran a good game. Your other sup from Pittsburgh also died? Short guy, forgot his name. Very up on Pittsburgh sports.

These hospitals have a penchant for robbing patients and their family. A longtime friend and BM from NY was recently admitted for chest pains. Maybe caused by Geno Smith. Anyway, he was carrying a hefty BR and most of it was stolen. His son raised holy hell and it won't end well.

Whatever happend to onea ur sups that had albino type hair? Short guy that looked like he was ina daze. He was supposed to marry a waitress from the coffee shop and she got cold feet and ran away ?

Two many years, Nowadays if I don't write it down I forget who I bet lol
    edited December 2014
    You never forgot that prick Barry Shier:toast:

btw, those r my words/not yours.LOL