Betting Talk

What % of Bankroll In-Play on a Given Night

procapprocap Senior Member
edited July 2014 in Sports Betting
I've handicapped sports for several years and always had a close eye on daily fantasy, but didn't think there was much of an opportunity in it until lately. Betting Talk's coverage of daily fantasy definitely pushed me over the edge.

What percent of your bankroll do you guys usually have in play on a given night? I was thinking something like 5% for the daily sports and up to 10% for NFL.

Comments

• ParkerMParkerM Moderator
    edited July 2014
    procap wrote: »
    I've handicapped sports for several years and always had a close eye on daily fantasy, but didn't think there was much of an opportunity in it until lately. Betting Talk's coverage of daily fantasy definitely pushed me over the edge.

What percent of your bankroll do you guys usually have in play on a given night? I was thinking something like 5% for the daily sports and up to 10% for NFL.

According to a lot of Pros, 10% seems to be a general number they'll put in play, but it completely depends upon the player. Depending on what types of games you like to play, and how much you are comfortable with possibly losing on a given night. You have to keep in mind there's a possibility you could lose everything you play that night.

Personally, for myself it depends on how confident I feel about a night's games. If I do my research and really like my lineup, I'll put a higher percentage at risk than a night where I'm not liking things so much.

I've been having a lot of success on PGA 50/50s, so I've felt comfortable increasing my weekly percentage lately. It really depends on the individual.
  • procapprocap Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    ParkerM wrote: »
    You have to keep in mind there's a possibility you could lose everything you play that night.

Yeah, it certainly differs from betting there. If your team does crappy, you're probably going to lose everything you enter. Whereas sports bets are typically independent events.
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, it certainly differs from betting there. If your team does crappy, you're probably going to lose everything you enter. Whereas sports bets are typically independent events.

We're very curious here about the similarities between sports betting and daily fantasy, and whether there's any overlap on the skills and strategies used to succeed. I think what we've generally found (or, I should say what I have personally found anyway) is that outside of the basic concepts like money management and discipline, there's very little correlation between the two. A lot of Pro DFS players have little to no concept of how odds work and don't bet on sports other than for "casual fun".

You may have seen the other thread here, where we've asked a successful sports bettor to document his journey and see if he can transfer his skills over to also become a successful daily fantasy player. We think it will be an interesting experiment and look forward to how that goes.
  • drewbydrewby Fantasy Expert
    edited July 2014
    @procap I think if you are doing DFS correctly, you are never at risk of getting taken to the cleaners on 1 lineup, even if 10% of your bankroll is in play, as you should be able to have lineup diversity.

For instance, in Week 1 of the NFL season on Fanduel, there were 12 running backs that produced 2+ fantasy points for every $1000 spent and obviously you can only select 2. But maybe you find 4 RBs you think can reach this benchmark, and you rotate them across lineups. When 1 guy flops or goes down, you still have other positions on that roster + other rosters to offset the variance. This was an early lesson for me.

Still possible to lose everything, but a lot less likely.
    edited July 2014
    worm33 wrote: »
    Pretty similar to sports betting. U don't think there are guys out there making mid 6 figures at least?

You playing these at all?
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    You playing these at all?

Yes just fanduel. Was much easier 1-2 years ago
    edited July 2014
    worm33 wrote: »
    Yes just fanduel.

Any particular reason you just play at fanduel? I know betting comes first, so I'm assuming it has something to do with time.

Do you find it difficult to balance handicapping and prepping for daily fantasy or is there quite a bit of overlap? I'm planning to attack football pretty hard this year, the obvious advantage there is having all week to prepare.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Any particular reason you just play at fanduel? I know betting comes first, so I'm assuming it has something to do with time.

Do you find it difficult to balance handicapping and prepping for daily fantasy or is there quite a bit of overlap? I'm planning to attack football pretty hard this year, the obvious advantage there is having all week to prepare.

Fanduel was the only site big enough last year to accommodate how much action I wanted. And now I'm familiar with it. Draft kings might be on the verge of being bigger at this point if I were to add a 2nd site that's where I would go. Lots of overlap and takes me a couple of hours/day but is also somewhat more time consuming then that because I have to be at my computer at 7 est every night when the games go off to monitor weather/last minute scratches. And yes I don't have the time to be on 10 sites. For nba I might explore that.
    edited July 2014
    It seemed like we were hijacking procap's thread here and deviated far off his original question, so apologies to procap. It was an interesting discussion though and worth continuing, so for those looking for it I've moved the messages to a new thread here so we can continue and let this thread stay on topic. Thanks.
    edited July 2014
    ParkerM wrote: »
    It seemed like we were hijacking procap's thread here and deviated far off his original question

Thanks, but you certainly didn't have to do that. It was great discussion... any time rito & worm are contributing to a thread it's a must read imo.