Betting Talk

Baseball math question

maidenguymaidenguy Senior Member
edited April 2014 in Sports Betting
Is there a way to come up with a money line if a starting pitcher of one team(team A ) has a 38.3 chance of winning the game and a 36.9 chance of losing AGAINST the opposing pitcher(team B) whose odds of winning is 25.3 and losing is 47.7?

Team A would of course be the favorite but trying to figure out what would be the fair odds on the contest. Is there a way?

Comments

• duritodurito Senior Member
    edited April 2014
  • maidenguymaidenguy Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    Durito, thanks. Just what I was looking for.
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    math guys would give you a better answer but i come up with almost pk em game
    not sure i follow as well
    edited April 2014
    Jets, at first I got 49% and change which seemed to low but the second time I got a 64.7% chance for Team A of winning which I believe is right. Was looking around the net for a calculator but no luck. I think its easier just to forget the chance of losing and just use the winning odds to get an answer.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    jets96 wrote: »
    math guys would give you a better answer but i come up with almost pk em game
    not sure i follow as well

Team A has a higher win probability (38 to 25) and a lower loss probability (37 to 47). How would that be pk?
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    maidenguy wrote: »
    Jets, at first I got 49% and change which seemed to low but the second time I got a 64.7% chance for Team A of winning which I believe is right. Was looking around the net for a calculator but no luck. I think its easier just to forget the chance of losing and just use the winning odds to get an answer.

64.7% makes much more sense than 49%.

Are you trying to use historical stats against all opponents to come up with a line?
    edited April 2014
    There is a site on the net where they list each starting pitcher chances of winning or losing the game(opposing each other) and I was just trying to convert it into a ML for the game.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    Think a better question would be why you put credence in the numbers produced by the site you allude to.
    edited April 2014
    Don't plan to. Just wanted to see how one would convert the percentages into a money line which Durito gave me the correct info.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    Just when I thought this thread had climaxed on confusion.