• GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited February 2014
    I like Avast.
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    microsoft security essentials has done me good for a long time
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    If it's an option, I'd highly recommend a switch to Apple. Haven't had to install antivirus software ever since I bought one 5 years ago.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/security/3418367/do-apple-macs-need-antivirus-os-x-security-explained/
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    IMO someone should need a much more defined reason to switch to apple then just alleviating the need for AVS. Not that switching is a bad idea, just saying.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited February 2014
    newcombe wrote: »
    IMO someone should need a much more defined reason to switch to apple then just alleviating the need for AVS. Not that switching is a bad idea, just saying.
    How about that Big Kahuna is sitting on a ton of apple shares and would like everyone to use apple, and an iphone. Thank you !
    edited February 2014
    just about everyone in the world thinks its necessary to buy an iphone BK so I think you're good there :). let alone all of the ridiculous amount of cases that can also be purchased for the iphones. blows my mind...
  • OkieBobOkieBob Member
    edited February 2014
    avast
    edited February 2014
    its possible that whomever is your cable/internet provider offers mcaffee or Norton for free. Cox does I know that.
  • CirclejerkCirclejerk Senior Member
    edited February 2014

I'm not a big tech guy but all I can say is that since I made the switch to apple 10+ years ago I have not thought twice about AVS. But to each his own.
    Good luck.
  • CirclejerkCirclejerk Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    Your point is well taken- I think I'm lazy in this area.
    edited February 2014
    Just to chime in on the switching to Apple idea, that's a completely different topic IMO. The OP was asking for a FREE anti-virus program, so I'm guessing he wants a simple free solution, not a 4-figure investment.

That said, while I'm typing, FWIW, I think I had a virus once in my life (using PC's) and it was fairly easy to get rid of. I've always been of the opinion that viruses are an incredibly overblown issue unless you constantly visit some pretty shady sites and/or are extremely non-computer saavy and are clicking on links and opening obvious spam that you shouldn't.

Lastly, Deano, be sure to check out Newcombe's post #9. My cable/internet provider offers something for free like he mentioned (I forget which program). I just happened to prefer Avast after trying theirs out so I went back to it.

Hope this thread helped.
  • BishBish Member
    edited February 2014
    I've used Avg for years, haven't had any issues
    edited February 2014
    Bish wrote: »
    I've used Avg for years, haven't had any issues

I used that one prior to using Avast, had no issues with it either.
    edited February 2014
    Not all is rosy in Macland.
    http://www.securemac.com/CoinThief-BitCoin-Trojan-Horse-MacOSX.php

Running the Demo/Trial right now to check for any infections
  • miller4m2miller4m2 Junior Member
    edited February 2014
    AVG Free Edition - works just fine.
  • BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    AVAST
    edited February 2014
    Hey guys,
    Your recommendations are well taken. But the reason why I bumped this thread was because I boldly declared that there were no virussen for Apple Macs, so a switch to Mac was the best option imo. However I just read the article below and decided to bump this thread to share that info. http://www.securemac.com/CoinThief-BitCoin-Trojan-Horse-MacOSX.php

So if you're a Mac owner, download the free trial and run a check. Mine still scanning right now. No Spyware or viruses detected so far, but I do have 40 tracking cookies which the scan detected. Maybe time to remove those from BigBrother's watching eye.