Betting Talk

What is going to happen when people die at the GB game?

Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
edited January 2014 in Sports Betting
Is that on the NFL to cancel the game? Or on the people who bought the tickets to not attend?

Comments

• NFLPicksGuyNFLPicksGuy Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    haha love this question. Maybe Lawboy can give some insight.. I say it's on the people not to attend.
  • cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »
    Is that on the NFL to cancel the game? Or on the people who bought the tickets to not attend?

I realize it is not strictly a weather comment but the NFL has to change the playoff position structure. No way the 9ers at 12-4 and won 4 more games in a tougher division have to play opening round at 8-7-1 Green Bay!
  • LawboyLawboy Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    I hope the. Families call me. I could retire. In a seriousness, there is some assumption of the risk. However, the nfl's recent trend in postponing games because of severe weather could bite them in the ass. They knew a thunderstorm in Chicago was dangerous but not a windchill warning in Green Bay. NFL/Packers would settle for a good number. So if you die at a sporting event, have your family call me.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Lawboy wrote: »
    So if you die at a sporting event, have your family call me.

"Enuf said, call ED"

BTW, his londsman RGoldberg is currently on vacation in a Bakersfield federal detention center. Forgot to pay his taxes. Just a little spoof on Las Vegas shysters.
  • milfhuntermilfhunter Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    and of course it was to be the late game at 430 instead of 1 pm because of television.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    milfhunter wrote: »
    and of course it was to be the late game at 430 instead of 1 pm because of television.

Yeah that would have been pretty simple to switch and at least make it a little better.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    I would think this game was slotted to be this matchup (4 Vs 5) from before the season. Could just as easily be a game in a dome or in a warm weather venue. I could be wrong, but I think its been planned way in advance.
  • brickhandsbrickhands Member
    edited January 2014
    They Become Lions Fans...lol
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    I would think this game was slotted to be this matchup (4 Vs 5) from before the season. Could just as easily be a game in a dome or in a warm weather venue. I could be wrong, but I think its been planned way in advance.

Never planned in advance. Always for TV. Been a season ticket holder for New England for almost 20 years and it's always determined after the last regular season games are played.

The NFL doesn't give a rat's ass about the fans. If they think it's going to draw that's what they are going to do. This was the best NFC game. I'm sure Fox had the right to pick the best NFC game. NBC has taken over the 1st two games on Saturday the past few Wild Card weekends. They could have played it at 1 but the NFL wasn't going to allow Cincy/SD to be the final game to wrap up the weekend. Just my opinion of course.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    ebemiss wrote: »
    Never planned in advance. Always for TV. Been a season ticket holder for New England for almost 20 years and it's always determined after the last regular season games are played.

The NFL doesn't give a rat's ass about the fans. If they think it's going to draw that's what they are going to do. This was the best NFC game. I'm sure Fox had the right to pick the best NFC game. NBC has taken over the 1st two games on Saturday the past few Wild Card weekends. They could have played it at 1 but the NFL wasn't going to allow Cincy/SD to be the final game to wrap up the weekend. Just my opinion of course.

Yeah I was just going to type this same thing. Money rules, who cares about the people that are actually in the 50 below temps.
    edited January 2014
    I sat in a playoff game a few years back when the wind chills were below zero or in that neighborhood. (NE vs Tenn..Mcnair was QB). The only thing they did was set up free coffee and hot chocolate in and out of the stadium. They actually let you go outside of the stadium and that is unheard of. They know if something happens (someone dies) someone is going to sue their ass...it's not going to stop them though. There is some risk and most people are smart enough to not go or dress appropriately but still they are trying to take full advantage of a BAD situation for television.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    OK. So ya, I was wrong on that one. Its no way hard to believe that is the case though, considering it is the NFL we are talking about.

I think this comes back to what everyone knows is a pretty significant problem moving forward for the NFL. The game is made for TV . The regular season is so fantasy driven nowadays that its more convenient for people to sit with their computers and watch red zone and not have to pay to park, buy drinks and get tickets. For the postseason especially, IMO, Id rather have some people over get some food, drink some beer, not have to worry about driving. I find the in stadium experience of the NFL to be AWFUL. Granted, I live in a town and am a fan of (Eagles) a team whos stadium i really dont like. But who wants to pay to go to a game and sit through all those TV timeouts in a stadium. Miss action to stand in various lines etc. I think attendance and selling out is only going to become a bigger issue for the league in years to come.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited January 2014
    No one will be there that doesn't want to be there. This is real football. Us northerners love this weather for football. They at least have the good fortune of knowing there will be a winner. Most memorable game I have ever went to wasn't a Michigan-Ohio St or Notre Dame game, it was Nov 14, 1992 Michigan/Illinois game. It was mid-40's all week long. We wake up Saturday morning to 14 degrees, 20-30 mph winds and 8 inches of snow. We leave at 7:30am for a noon game(usually takes 1 1/2 hours to get there), we got there about 11am. Temp drops to 8 by gametime, winds still the same. 4 inches of snow fell during the game, which ended with a Michigan 37 yd FG on 4th and goal to tie 22-22. A fucking tie(they wound up with 3 that year). We get back to our car and have to dig it out with our hands. Took us 5 1/2 hours to drive home. Outside of them tieing, wouldn't change a thing. :) This weather is not that big of a deal.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited January 2014
    I'm no lawyer but I'm thinking I wouldn't want to go up against the niffel (that's for you, ckr) in a case like this where the fans kinda sorta knew in advance that it was going to be a little bit cold.

Kind of reminds me of the cat who made millions off of mcdonalds coffee being hot.
    edited January 2014
    to me a chance of frost bite, or a wind chill warning is a big deal. Maybe it won't be that bad but it's something that the NFL should have done everything reasonable to move the game time to save 10 degrees if need be. I've lived in the northeast all my life. I get the cold. Heck... walking up to carrier dome in Syracuse in late January/ early February is just about the coldest thing you could ever do.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited January 2014
    to me a chance of frost bite, or a wind chill warning is a big deal. Maybe it won't be that bad but it's something that the NFL should have done everything reasonable to move the game time to save 10 degrees if need be. I've lived in the northeast all my life. I get the cold. Heck... walking up to carrier dome in Syracuse in late January/ early February is just about the coldest thing you could ever do.

You have the option of not going. No one is making anyone attend.
    edited January 2014
    I already mentioned earlier that people have the right to not go.

[QUOTE=ebemiss;826006There is some risk and most people are smart enough to not go or dress appropriately but still they are trying to take full advantage of a BAD situation for television.[/QUOTE]
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    I would think that extreme heat is more dangerous than extreme cold at games, and frankly I'm surprised more people don't die of heat stroke at games. I was at two games recently with temps bit over 100 and high humidity (coincidentally both in Baltimore, a Red Sox/Orioles game in Jul 2011 and a Liverpool/Tottenham game in Jul 2102), and even though I'm only 36 and in pretty good health, both times I had seats in the sun and couldn't take more than a couple minutes of it, and fortunately I was able to move both times. Cold weather isn't the sort of thing that kills immediately, and with so many people around I suspect they'd notice if someone was in trouble, whereas heat related problems can happen quite quickly. Yet no one ever suggests cancelling games because of heat.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Almost all sporting event tickets state in fine print "Enter at your own risk"
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited January 2014

I didn't know you were a New Englander Ed. You North or South of Foxboro?
    edited January 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    I didn't know you were a New Englander Ed. You North or South of Foxboro?

East. On the border. Less than 3 hours from Canada, Foxboro, Syracuse, and Brooklyn.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    East. On the border. Less than 3 hours from Canada, Foxboro, Syracuse, and Brooklyn.

Wouldn't that be West? Was curious if you were in my neck of the woods (South Coast) but it looks like you're at the other end of the state.
    edited January 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be West? Was curious if you were in my neck of the woods (South Coast) but it looks like you're at the other end of the state.

Yeah. West. Must have had my compass upside down. On the Mass/NY border.
    edited January 2014
    The Berkshires are nice if you're into snow and scenery. Beautiful area except they scalp you on the Pike. Tickets and tolls. I think James Taylor mentions them(mts) in a song.
    edited January 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    The Berkshires are nice if you're into snow and scenery. Beautiful area except they scalp you on the Pike. Tickets and tolls. I think James Taylor mentions them(mts) in a song.

Taylor usually plays at Tanglewood, a small amphitheater in western Mass., for July 4th and is excellent. I've seen him a couple times. Especially if he plays with a full band. He has a house in that area. I hate the Winters and the snow but the scenery is great. The other 3 seasons are nice.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66334224/

I have always wondered: How ridiculous do the ticket prices have to get before people just stop going.

Seems like that point has been reached (also due to better options)
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited January 2014
    Obi One wrote: »
    http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66334224/

I have always wondered: How ridiculous do the ticket prices have to get before people just stop going.

Seems like that point has been reached (also due to better options)

Quote from that article - "We are a world now that looks more at screens than at real life, and we're going to get worse about it." - harkens me to my current obsession the serialized British series "Black Mirror". Amazing tv.....pretty scary stuff about where we are probably heading.
    edited January 2014
    In defense of the Green Bay faithful, the early non-sellout was due to the playoff uncertainty. Season ticket holders were in limbo(npi). Besides, what else is there to do in Green Bay?