Betting Talk

Off Topic..Thanksgiving dinner

buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
edited November 2013 in Sports Betting
I am having thanksgiving dinner at my house this year and I want to buy an outdoor turkey deep fryer? I have never tasted a deep fried turkey but everyone I speak too loves it.

Can anyone recommend a good one to buy or have any suggestions on cooking it or any other good info.

Thanks

Comments

• groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    I have a fryer I've borrowed from a friend and don't know anything about the brand, but the number one rule is to leave enough free space around it, and make sure you adequately dry the bird before frying. Fortunately, I don't speak from experience.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    I have a fryer I've borrowed from a friend and don't know anything about the brand, but the number one rule is to leave enough free space around it, and make sure you adequately dry the bird before frying. Fortunately, I don't speak from experience.

Speaking on ignorance because my mother or wife have always cooked the bird...loll

What do you mean dry the turkey? Let it sit outside at room temp?

Thanks
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    If/when you do it make sure you displace the turkey in water first before you put the oil in. Take your EMPTY pot and put the turkey in it. Cover the turkey with water until it's submerged. Then place a mark inside the pot where the top of the turkey is covered. That's how much oil you put in. (Better to come up short and add oil then having too much and not checking before hand)

Empty the pot and dry it good to get rid of the water. You should be good to go. I've seen people just put a bunch of oil in the pot, get it hot, and then drop a big ass turkey in there and the oil goes everywhere and can catch everything on fire.

Get oil about 350-375 degrees before dropping turkey in. (as the cold turkey will knock the temp down). Try to cook it at 350 degrees at 3 minutes per pound. Most books say 3 and a half minutes per pound. I do 1 every year and 3 minutes a pound works great.

There are all kinds of different fryers on the market just find one big enough to do a decent size turkey.

Only other suggestion is find someone to help you with the initial dropping and checking/taking out of the fryer. It's usually a little hectic and you are dealing with some hot ass oil.

I love it. I do it every year. Good luck if you try it.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited November 2013
    buythehook wrote: »
    Speaking on ignorance because my mother or wife have always cooked the bird...loll

What do you mean dry the turkey? Let it sit outside at room temp?

Thanks

Make sure it is thawed and use a paper towel to dry it off completely. Water and hot oil do not mix well :)
    edited November 2013
    ebemiss wrote: »
    If/when you do it make sure you displace the turkey in water first before you put the oil in. Take your EMPTY pot and put the turkey in it. Cover the turkey with water until it's submerged. Then place a mark inside the pot where the top of the turkey is covered. That's how much oil you put in. (Better to come up short and add oil then having too much and not checking before hand)

Empty the pot and dry it good to get rid of the water. You should be good to go. I've seen people just put a bunch of oil in the pot, get it hot, and then drop a big ass turkey in there and the oil goes everywhere and can catch everything on fire.

Get oil about 350-375 degrees before dropping turkey in. (as the cold turkey will knock the temp down). Try to cook it at 350 degrees at 3 minutes per pound. Most books say 3 and a half minutes per pound. I do 1 every year and 3 minutes a pound works great.

There are all kinds of different fryers on the market just find one big enough to do a decent size turkey.

Only other suggestion is find someone to help you with the initial dropping and checking/taking out of the fryer. It's usually a little hectic and you are dealing with some hot ass oil.

I love it. I do it every year. Good luck if you try it.

Wow.. Very detailed and informative.

Thank you
    edited November 2013
    StevieY wrote: »
    Make sure it is thawed and use a paper towel to dry it off completely. Water and hot oil do not mix well :)

Makes perfect sense.

Thanks Stevie
    edited November 2013
    Hey. I may not know crap about sports but I know frying turkey......
    edited November 2013
    ebemiss wrote: »
    Hey. I may not know crap about sports but I know frying turkey......

Lmaooo

I know a lot about nothing. :laugh:
    edited November 2013
    The others gave good advice. Your main concern is not starting a fire and not injuring yourself.

The last time I fried one, we used some sort of contraption made out of coat hangers to slowly lower the turkey into the oil, but I'm sure a big wire basket would work too.
  • DubbsDubbs Senior Member
    edited November 2013

Yeah, if I could get that fryer back, that'd be great! :laugh:
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited November 2013
    Should I bring Pecan pie ( my favorite) or traditional pumpkin , when I come over?
    edited November 2013
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    Should I bring Pecan pie ( my favorite) or traditional pumpkin , when I come over?

Come by anytime BK with what u like and a bottle of crown for the host :)
    edited November 2013
    Biggest +EV move I learned was making my own cranberry sauce. I always grew up eating the stuff in the can, which I actually don't mind, but homemade cranberry sauce is a lot better. All you have to do is a take a bag of cranberries, cover them some sort of liquid (I've used apple cider and/or orange juice, but you can also just use water) with some sort of sweetener (I usually use brown sugar and/or honey), and then whatever spices you want (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, etc, I usually just put a crushed nutmeg seed, some cinnamon sticks, some cloves, and a bay leaf in cheesecloth). Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down and let it simmer for a while until the cranberries pop and it gets to the desired texture.
    edited November 2013
    I just ordered the " Bayou classic 3066, 30 quart outdoor deep fryer.

I going cook a smaller turkey before thanksgiving as a test run.
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited November 2013

My wife outsourced 3/4th of thanksgiving to market basket and spent 500 bucks....

wtf
  • CoolsCools Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    For a moister meat inject the turkey with Italian dressing prior to frying it. If you like the white meat to be less dry this makes it insanely good.
    edited November 2013
    Coops wrote: »
    My wife outsourced 3/4th of thanksgiving to market basket and spent 500 bucks....

wtf

Lmaoo... Sorry man!

Come by my house for desert..
    edited November 2013
    I was on this betting talk forum and kicked me over to this cooking channel forum. This is great ! Joking.

BTW the Italian Dressing suggestion is true and also works for Crab , if you steam crab then throw some dressing on - Delicious.

I am going to lunch to get a Turkey sandwich now !
    edited November 2013
    I use orange juice, mixed with some spices, as the liquid to inject the turkey. (pepper, garlic, cajun spice or soul seasoning)
  • procapprocap Senior Member
    edited November 2013

positive EV
  • Matteo5Matteo5 Senior Member
    edited November 2013

Just my thoughts hook, but did the same thing when I was cooking my first turkey for a "test run" and later realized that cooking a small bird meant I had to use way too much peanut oil... All the best as you proceed as I'm convinced you can't beat a fried bird...:)
  • LawboyLawboy Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Odds on a fire at hooks house because of the turkey fryer?
    Fire -350
    No fire +300
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Biggest +EV move I learned was making my own cranberry sauce. I always grew up eating the stuff in the can, which I actually don't mind, but homemade cranberry sauce is a lot better. All you have to do is a take a bag of cranberries, cover them some sort of liquid (I've used apple cider and/or orange juice, but you can also just use water) with some sort of sweetener (I usually use brown sugar and/or honey), and then whatever spices you want (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, etc, I usually just put a crushed nutmeg seed, some cinnamon sticks, some cloves, and a bay leaf in cheesecloth). Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down and let it simmer for a while until the cranberries pop and it gets to the desired texture.

I actually end up making two of them every year. I do one cooked one like groovin said, then I'll also do an uncooked one which is as simple and putting some cranberries and oranges in a food processer and chopping them up, then adding sugar. I was never a huge canned cranberry sauce guy, but I love fresh cranberry sauce (both kinds of it that I make). And it's extremely to make ahead of time (I usually just make both of them on Wednesday afternoon and throw them in the fridge).
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Lawboy wrote: »
    Fire -350
    No fire +300

I see a lot of value in "No Fire". I've got faith in the guy. Though if he makes it through the cooking process and the fire starts after he takes out the turkey, you damn well bet that you'll see a post from me in the Bad Beats thread.
    edited November 2013
    Lawboy wrote: »
    Fire -350
    No fire +300

Lmaooo

That's great man!!

I will be cooking it outside in the backyard...most likely no fire..loll, but for anyone that wants to put some action on it let me know :p
    edited November 2013
    TommyL wrote: »
    I see a lot of value in "No Fire". I've got faith in the guy. Though if he makes it through the cooking process and the fire starts after he takes out the turkey, you damn well bet that you'll see a post from me in the Bad Beats thread.

Thanks for the confidence in me tommy... I won't let you down...loll
    edited November 2013
    What's the live odds on Fire if he has already started in on the Crown Royal ?
    edited November 2013
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    What's the live odds on Fire if he has already started in on the Crown Royal ?

A wise man once told me.."when in doubt, jerk it out".....or just drink some crown royal. I think I can handle a turkey and some crown..lolll
    edited November 2013
    I think there is going to be damage to the backyard !
    edited November 2013
    TommyL wrote: »
    I actually end up making two of them every year. I do one cooked one like groovin said, then I'll also do an uncooked one which is as simple and putting some cranberries and oranges in a food processer and chopping them up, then adding sugar. I was never a huge canned cranberry sauce guy, but I love fresh cranberry sauce (both kinds of it that I make). And it's extremely to make ahead of time (I usually just make both of them on Wednesday afternoon and throw them in the fridge).

What's the advantage of the uncooked one, just less preparation, or does it taste better/different uncooked? I never thought of doing that before, and kind of surprised that I never heard of it because I know tons of chefs.

Fresh cranberry sauce was such a revelation when I "discovered" it. Literally everyone in my main family dinner eats the canned stuff and won't eat anything else so when I bring it to my main Thanksgiving dinner, I'm typically the only one who eats it. The first time I tried making something with fresh cranberries, I found some recipe online that was way too low on sugar and included balsamic vinegar (?). It was awful, no one ate it, and I think ever since then they're afraid to eat anything with fresh cranberries in it. Screw them, I say, more for me.

From what I've read, the traditional cranberry sauce in Revolutionary times involved brandy, so I may try that this year. I like cooking with apple brandy; one of my favorite dishes is making pork chops or pork loin in an apple cream sauce, with apple brandy in the sauce.