Betting Talk

Is it me or

lakers22lakers22 Senior Member
edited September 2013 in Sports Betting
Is this not the same place I enjoyed coming to read and learn.

Comments

• cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    If your referring to the 25 different people sharing their plays daily then yes. It seems like last year at this time it was roughly the same. It progressively died down and got back to more informative posting as the football season went on. Trust me, I know all to well....now when OT, Benny and a few others out there are posting, I'm always learning, unfortunatly theres just way to much other nonsense to sort through right now.
  • dtrain11dtrain11 Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    It's just you.always more picks during football
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited September 2013
    dtrain11 wrote: »
    It's just you.always more picks during football

We also have an added boost in forum members due to the recent acquisition of BeyondTheBets.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited September 2013
    Goats wrote: »
    We also have an added boost in forum members due to the recent acquisition of BeyondTheBets.

The ultimate subtraction by addition IMO
  • Fat PolamaluFat Polamalu Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    Jalapanose wrote: »

Are there really that many carry overs from BTB? I wish I could go back.

Everyone gambling forum I've been to has a guy like you. A "know it all" thats better than everyone, but loses just like most.
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited September 2013

Everyone gambling forum I've been to has a guy like you. A "know it all" thats better than everyone, but loses just like most.

We have quite a few of them, take with a grain of salt. We also have an ignore feature, very useful.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited September 2013

He's not that bad

but his new username tilts the shit out of me
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited September 2013

Really rolling out the welcome mat, huh?

I guess the concept of "treat others like you'd want to be treated" was lost on some people (or maybe it's just the "internet persona" at work here).
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited September 2013
    TommyL wrote: »
    Really rolling out the welcome mat, huh?

I guess the concept of "treat others like you'd want to be treated" was lost on some people (or maybe it's just the "internet persona" at work here).

Guess I'm just greedy and would like to keep the good stuff here on the DL. Gain a gazillion tilty posters, watch lines of the good posters get harder to get, sorry not a good trade-off.

I'm not gonna be Harriet Housewarmer, sorry not sorry
  • lakers22lakers22 Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    Guess I'm just greedy and would like to keep the good stuff here on the DL. Gain a gazillion tilty posters, watch lines of the good posters get harder to get, sorry not a good trade-off.

Agreed 100%...
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited September 2013

Let's see what addition by subtraction will do. 2 week ban for you.
    edited September 2013
    What exactly is different? We added no more than 10 or so active posters from BTB, none of which are as disrespectful or offensive as a few of our long time regulars.

The forum is what you make of it. If you want to see more informative threads that you can learn from, then why not go ahead and start such topics? We have unique access to many sharp minds here. It rarely gets capitalized on.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    Patience guys......
    I remember the month of July where you could let a fart out loud on this forum and nobody would hear it, cuz there was nobody.... It might be a little busy now with new posters asking for the same questions which have been asked a thousand times already, and of course the quality of the pick-threads hasn't gone up per se, but I see it as the product of the industry as a whole expanding and growing. Not just RAS joining BTB. For me the quality posters are still here and their pick-threads too. I just ignore the less informative ones.
  • baseRunnerbaseRunner Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    Mods- just an idea, but have you ever considered a separate subforum for play tracking? Realistically it can feel a little cluttered with dozens of season long (and weekly) threads popping up.

Also, unrelated bug report with the new site- and maybe it's just on my end- but when you're in a thread and try to navigate to a different page, the page numbers on the top of the thread never seem to redirect properly. The ones on bottom work fine. Maybe it's just my browser, I dunno if anyone else gets this.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    baseRunner wrote: »

Also, unrelated bug report with the new site- and maybe it's just on my end- but when you're in a thread and try to navigate to a different page, the page numbers on the top of the thread never seem to redirect properly. The ones on bottom work fine. Maybe it's just my browser, I dunno if anyone else gets this.

Same bug here, thanks BR.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    I would like to add my 2 cents.

There has been a large addition of new people and with that there's change not the most popular thing with most. but the site has changed somewhat and it's really nobodies fault it just needs a little time to get back to normal that's all. It's actually a thread that maybe shouldn't have been started because new people just got here and needed time to learn guidelines and what this place is all about you knew it was going to draw negative comments and I'm sure most of the new guys are good guys and want to share there thoughts on the weeks games.

So again we do welcome the new guys and hope you provide information, Opinions and constructive criticism. Theres been some threads like the newsletter thread the fade the Brandon Lang thread the pod-cast thread that you have to listen to by Philly Godfather and Vegas runner we're just not use to that it's a different place I'm not saying there bad threads (They really are) but to each his own what I'm saying it's going to draw negative comments.

A new poster when they first got here his remarks were wow there's a lot of traffic here and there is and if you listen to some of the people here you will learn more in 6 months about sports betting then anywhere else.
  • Rverma3Rverma3 Junior Member
    edited September 2013
    Mods- just an idea, but have you ever considered a separate subforum for play tracking? Realistically it can feel a little cluttered with dozens of season long (and weekly) threads popping up.

I have the same issue with the top page numbers. I use Chrome if that helps...
    edited September 2013
    I have the same issue with the top page numbers. I use Chrome if that helps... Same here
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    Same thing happens here like BR says
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited September 2013

I've discussed it with Ed. I think we're sticking with the single forum for now, but input is always welcome.

FWIW, I'm not experiencing that problem in Firefox, but I've made Ed aware of the comments in this thread so he can look into it.
    edited September 2013

Honestly, I prefer it with how things are right now. If you just click back one page, you can see posts that were created 3 days ago (Tuesday). If we had a lot more traffic, I'd agree that it might make sense to split things out. And on heavy days of college football/NFL, there is more traffic and you'll have to do a bit more digging. But I think the site would lose something with having to click on a sub-forum to try and find stuff. Just my opinion.
    edited September 2013

Assuming a "gazillion tilty posters" all came from BTB is pretty ridiculous. There was a great group of guys over there that were more interested in discussion than just posting picks. Every single gambling forum has pick posters.

As an BTB refugee who has only been here a few weeks, I would say the pick posting threads are more prevalent here than they ever were over on BTB.

FWIW, I don't think he needed to be banned. But Im not going to try to tell you how to run your forum though.
    edited September 2013
    Numbers at the top work fine for me with Chrome on a mac.
    edited September 2013
    When I joined here about 10 years ago, I was probably a "tilty poster" that added zero value to the forum. :) But some people here recommended some good books to read, talked a lot about the concepts that make a successful sports gambler (when to buy points, teaser strategies, bankroll management, line shopping, etc). It probably all is completely obvious stuff, but 10 years ago I was betting a Monday night game simply because there was a game, buying a game from 17.5 to 17 just because I didn't want to get hooked, handicapping sports that I had zero edge in, etc. With the help of a lot of the people here, I've been able to get to the point where I'm at least moderately successful and think that I add at least some value to the forum. I guess I'm kind of a "pay it forward" guy when it comes to gambling, since I wouldn't be where I am today without the help of others. if that costs me a little bit of my bottom line, so be it (as I'm sure that I'll learn more here that will continue to contribute to my bottom line).

(OK, I'll get off my soapbox now)
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    RightAngle wrote: »
    Let's see what addition by subtraction will do. 2 week ban for you.

Edward, I'm just a guy with an opinion, but I don't think what Jala posted was ban worthy. while I don't agree with him, he certainly has the right to voice his opinion, and I don't think what he posted was inflammatory or offensive, he just stated how he felt. I think you just wanted to use the "addition by subtraction" line against him (which was a pretty good retort). I think you should rethink your banning of him, maybe just give him a warning. Also, please don't ban me for posting this, just giving my two cents.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited September 2013

Yea i get the page thing too. Mostly when I'm on the last page of a thread and try to move backwards it just redirects back to the same page I'm already on.
    edited September 2013
    FWIW, I don't think he needed to be banned. But Im not going to try to tell you how to run your forum though.

Agree, but it wasn't his first offense. Cynical/negative posters that question things have an important place in the community, which is why I have given this guy so many second chances, but to disrespect an entire forum community that he knows little or nothing about is a bit much, and he even stated his intention for doing so, which isn't consistent with the interests of the forum. This type of dialogue isn't going to promote more interesting and helpful discussions that we all seek.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited September 2013
    durito wrote: »
    Yea i get the page thing too. Mostly when I'm on the last page of a thread and try to move backwards it just redirects back to the same page I'm already on.

Me also on the page thing. Also I can't find some of my threads on my iphone , does anyone else have that issue or is it just my old eyes ?
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    durito wrote: »

Yeah, the same thing happens to me too.
    edited September 2013
    kane wrote: »
    Edward, I'm just a guy with an opinion, but I don't think what Jala posted was ban worthy. while I don't agree with him, he certainly has the right to voice his opinion, and I don't think what he posted was inflammatory or offensive, he just stated how he felt. I think you just wanted to use the "addition by subtraction" line against him (which was a pretty good retort). I think you should rethink your banning of him, maybe just give him a warning. Also, please don't ban me for posting this, just giving my two cents.

Although I agree with what your saying and I understood what he meant and agreed with him up to a point as I explained in a previous post. he doesn't understand that there are ways of getting your point across without being insulting. When you insult people they become defensive and rightfully so and shut down and then nothing gets acomplished and you can't say that statement wasn't insulting. Sorry I know he's your friend but he doesn't know how to speak to people. when people are banned or suspended or call it what you will it's usually a combination of things and not just that one thing said. It's been coming for a while and people bring things on themselves. He's been banned before and you don't go backwards and you have to admit he's been back to his old ways. I'm been surprised that he hasn't been banned for good for some of his comments. Looking through Edwards eye's it's justified. JMO

PS: Edward did recently say that policy's will be enforced stricter recently. I guess he wasn't kidding