Betting Talk

Nice read on King/Riggs potential fix

Comments

• buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Good story.. Thanks for sharing.
  • Chisox6Chisox6 Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    The OTL TV bit was on this morning and was also excellent. Especially compelling to watch Billie Jean King say she knows Riggs had nothing to do with organized crime and then the reporter very clearly lay out evidence that he did and she her reaction.
  • spiderman77spiderman77 Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Makes a lot of sense, it all adds up.

So what would happen in a match between Serena and Johnny Mac? I have said many times that Serena could not even compete with the lowest ranked man on the tour because of the power and speed advantage for the men, but put a mid 50 year old out there and that advantage is gone. I'd lean towards Serena, but I think it would be a very close match.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Makes a lot of sense, it all adds up.

So what would happen in a match between Serena and Johnny Mac? I have said many times that Serena could not even compete with the lowest ranked man on the tour because of the power and speed advantage for the men, but put a mid 50 year old out there and that advantage is gone. I'd lean towards Serena, but I think it would be a very close match.

I think that Serena could take McEnroe at this point. I just think McEnroe is far enough past his prime at this point that he'd have trouble beating her.

And I also think that any guy that's playing at the Challenger level right now would crush Serena.
  • jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    4 months earlier Riggs destroyed the #1 ranked women's player Margaret Court 6-1, 6-2. I know he trained hard for that match and got under Court's skin, and they said Court had a history of "suspect nerves", as good as she was, but hard to believe there was such a turnaround in the two matches. He was not even competitive in the match against King. Not saying he threw the match, but something doesn't look right.
  • increasedoddincreasedodd Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Mac would destroy Serena. It would not be close.

I watched Mac, Agassi, Sampras, and Lendl play an exhibition in NYC about 3 years ago. Having watched this and women's tennis live, it would not be close.

Every guy at the challenger level would win virtually every women's tournament, as would many top college players.

Sean
  • Casper WareCasper Ware Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    I know Guy Fritz and George Peebles, both very good friends of Riggs. The Match was dumped, but not because of this organized crime stuff.