Betting Talk

Headed to Chicago- any advice, suggestions?

jammerjammer Senior Member
edited May 2013 in Sports Betting
Hey guys- headed to Chicago with mom in a few weeks to see Mets vs Cubs at Wrigley on Sat and Sun, then over to see Red Sox vs White Sox that Monday night. Doing a tour of Wrigley on Monday as well.

Anyway- we are going to have some free time, so any advice on places to go, or not to go, restaurants, or anything else for that matter.

We are staying between the Magnificent Mile and the Navy Pier.

Thanks in advance, Jammer.

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Bring a jacket for nighttime. Any logo wear must be pro-Dem. "Packing" is recommended. Nice trip otherwise. Enjoy.
  • drurymikedrurymike Member
    edited May 2013
    jammer... I live in chicago...what kind of things are you and your mom looking to do? what kind of food do you like?
  • jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Mike- want to see and explore the local attractions. We were thinking about the Willis Tower and John Hancock Center. Walk around the Navy Pier and Mag Mile, maybe take a quick boat ride. The fountains if we have time to get to Grant Park.

We are flexible when it comes to food. We were thinking about Ditka's and Fogo de Chao, maybe Joes Stone Crab.

I definitely want to try the deep dish pizza and italian beef sandwich.
  • wildcats23wildcats23 Junior Member
    edited May 2013
    Architectural boat tour is a popular thing the tourists do, top of the hancock or Willis tower I wouldn't do both, Navy Pier is cool, art museum is nice, shop on Michigan Ave, check out grant park.

I have quite a few restaurant recs that I'd consider nicer than ditka's and fogo de chao but depends on what you're willing to spend.

Hubbard street is the bar area closest to where you're staying. A few rooftop bars in the area (epic, rockbottom brewery, zed 451, roof at the Wit).
  • Chisox6Chisox6 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    I haven't been in a few years but I think the shedd aquarium is pretty sweet. Have fun.
  • minger2123minger2123 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Jammer, jump in a can and go to Little Italy. Bunch of Great Italian restaurants there. Chinese food? Go to Chinatown. Mexican, go to Pilsen. All of these places are less then 20 minutes away.

Lake Michigan is cool, great places on the south and North side. South has blues bars, North may be a bit younger crowd.

Be safe, be aware, and have fun! It's a great place, but like all big cities, a few rough areas. Just ask your concierge or can driver.

Have fun.. And remember, don't even think about putting ketchup on your hot dog! That's a no no here!
  • whohasagood1whohasagood1 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Bring a jacket for nighttime. Any logo wear must be pro-Dem. "Packing" is recommended. Nice trip otherwise. Enjoy.

Live in chicago since 1958. 4 miles from Wrigley. PACKING HIGLEY RECOMMENDED SOUTH OF WHITE SOX PARK . Also recommend the shed aquarium. The bars and restaurants around Wrigley Field before and after the game. Very highly recommend a Blackhawks playoff game. The weather supposed to be nice next week have a great time.
    edited May 2013
    That's good news about the weather. I am going to be with mom, so not gunna frequent the bars. The Shed Aquarium looks good. The good thing is the games at Wrigley are days games. I tend to think we will just hop in a taxi after the White Sox night game and head back to the hotel.
    edited May 2013
    Jammer... I agree with the above... architectural tour is a great way to see the city (and it gets you your boat ride), aquarium is great as well as the museum of science and industry (few miles south of city), grant park is just north of aquarium so you can knock both those out at the same time...as far as restaurants you can find pretty much anything you want. Enjoy your trip!
    edited May 2013
    Do the water taxi's run in May? I see there are water taxi's that you can take from the Navy Pier down to the Shedd Aquarium as well as the Willis Tower.
    edited May 2013
    yes they do
  • AshyAshy Member
    edited May 2013
    Gibsons Steak House. Take architectural boat tour. Murphy's by Wrigley field. Lived there 7 years amazing place.
  • MachineGunMachineGun Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    jammer wrote: »
    Hey guys- headed to Chicago with mom in a few weeks to see Mets vs Cubs at Wrigley on Sat and Sun, then over to see Red Sox vs White Sox that Monday night. Doing a tour of Wrigley on Monday as well.

Anyway- we are going to have some free time, so any advice on places to go, or not to go, restaurants, or anything else for that matter.

We are staying between the Magnificent Mile and the Navy Pier.

Thanks in advance, Jammer.

I would recommend that you set one of your 4/5 hour blocks to do the following (and this considers the fact that you are staying near all three):

Hancock Tower, Navy Pier, Millennium Park.

I say this because:

1) They are all very close to each other and your base of operations. I don't know how much your Mom will want to walk around because I don't know her age but you can easily walk from the Navy Pier to Millennium Park and then take a super quick cab to Hancock Tower.
    2) Hancock Tower had the better views of the city, especially the shore line. I did both Willis and Hancock and my whole group enjoyed Hancock more.
    3) Millenium Park is awesome. Seeing the famous bean (aka Cloud Gate) was real cool and the park there in general is beautiful. I think your Mom would really love it and the photo ops are the best.

I also agree with the poster who mentioned going to the Gibson (a great steakhouse) for dinner. I enjoyed it and I got a little nastalgia from the fact that they featured it as the local watering whole on "The League" which used to be a great show till season 3. Haha. If you want to do a famous pizza joint I would recommend Giordanos but if something else is more convenient for you, the top 5 are close to interchangable (Lou Malnatis, Burts, Pequod's etc all exceptionally good).

Enjoy!!
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Ashy wrote: »
    Gibsons Steak House. Take architectural boat tour. Murphy's by Wrigley field. Lived there 7 years amazing place.
    love Gibson's--one of my all-time favorites
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited May 2013
    MachineGun wrote: »
    they featured it as the local watering whole on "The League" which used to be a great show till season 3.

You mean when it ceased to have almost anything to do with fantasy football and became a show full of raunchy jokes that weren't necessarily funny? Agreed. Hope they get it back it on track in season 4 but not holding my breath.

Apologies for the non-Chicago post, never been there.
  • zmanchitownzmanchitown Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    If you want reservations at gibsons during primetime (friday or sat)let me know and I will get you in. Not sure if we are supposed to give out cell #'s etc. Per site rules so maybe goats can assist putting us togther
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited May 2013
    If you want reservations at gibsons during primetime (friday or sat)let me know and I will get you in. Not sure if we are supposed to give out cell #'s etc. Per site rules so maybe goats can assist putting us togther

You are correct, we do not allow the sharing of personal contact info.

You need to e-mail [email protected] for that sort of thing.