Betting Talk

WSEX founder suicide

Comments

• Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    That's a shame. Wsex came up with the best Live Betting concept IMO ever to this day with buying and selling contracts. Use to do very well in baseball but killed them in the NBA with there live betting they way they did it. Always a shame when someone takes his own life can't imagine what your thinking at the time. RIP
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Last week company officially closed shop. It's a shame when your livlihood has been severed and you can never come home. Hey Jay Cohen what's that old adage about people living in glass houses?.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Jalapanose wrote: »

For future reference, as long as you're not linking to a personal site (i.e. social media, a site you run, a business, etc.) or a site that sells picks, we're pretty OK with links, especially news stories.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited April 2013
    This is very sad. The idea of living life being a fugitive of the US living in a foreign country in order to run this business probably made plenty of sense while the money was great and the purpose of the work felt important. The sports gambling business is and can be exciting as the money comes and goes and is intellectually challenging.

As the company fell apart I cant imagine the blow on his self worth, stresses of unpaid debts and probably no idea what he would do moving forward.

I say this knowing not a damn thing about his specific situation and only owning an amateur psychology degree.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    MikeRAS wrote: »
    This is very sad. The idea of living life being a fugitive of the US living in a foreign country in order to run this business probably made plenty of sense while the money was great and the purpose of the work felt important. The sports gambling business is and can be exciting as the money comes and goes and is intellectually challenging.

As the company fell apart I cant imagine the blow on his self worth, stresses of unpaid debts and probably no idea what he would do moving forward.

I say this knowing not a damn thing about his specific situation and only owning an amateur psychology degree.

The only reason I can see taking one's life is terminal illness that would deprive you of any quality of life, otherwise I go by the adage of when the going gets tough, the tough get going...in other words, he was obviously a very intelligent person that went through a very tough period in his life, but even at his age he could have reinvented himself or used his talents in other areas or things where maybe he could have benefited others to regain some self worth whether or not he could get back to the US. Obviously without knowing if he did have any health issues, it's hard to say and judge anyone from an article without really knowing the individual. Unfortunately, there were probably a limited number of support individuals, ie., family, friends, etc. that were available to help him recognize that life is a precious thing and he could of used his remaining years to regain the insight into that fact. Make it a great all! -R
  • ChemicalATChemicalAT Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Wait a second, did all WSEX get their money back? Or did depositors get stiffed?
    edited April 2013
    ChemicalAT wrote: »
    Wait a second, did all WSEX get their money back? Or did depositors get stiffed?

They reportedly still owe players in excess of $1 million.
    edited April 2013
    TheReb wrote: »
    The only reason I can see taking one's life is terminal illness that would deprive you of any quality of life, otherwise I go by the adage of when the going gets tough, the tough get going...in other words, he was obviously a very intelligent person that went through a very tough period in his life, but even at his age he could have reinvented himself or used his talents in other areas or things where maybe he could have benefited others to regain some self worth whether or not he could get back to the US. Obviously without knowing if he did have any health issues, it's hard to say and judge anyone from an article without really knowing the individual. Unfortunately, there were probably a limited number of support individuals, ie., family, friends, etc. that were available to help him recognize that life is a precious thing and he could of used his remaining years to regain the insight into that fact. Make it a great all! -R

I don't want to start a debate, and I have no psych credentials (though I do possess some knowledge on the subject), but you seem to be underestimating one's mental health IMO. Mental illness/psychological disorders can be just as debilitating to quality of life as any physical illness. While severe depression, anxiety, and the like may not be "terminal", they can feel and be just as incurable to those who suffer from them.
  • beefcakebeefcake Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Well, they used to have amazing betting on Movie Box Office, them and Intertops were the leaders.Pretty soft lines too, too bad I did not make jack shit back then(still dont) and could not take much advantage of those totals.
  • ChemicalATChemicalAT Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Goats wrote: »
    They reportedly still owe players in excess of $1 million.

So maybe some of you should stop balling your eyes out for this stiff. Amazing how so many people can miss the point.
    edited April 2013
    beefcake wrote: »
    Well, they used to have amazing betting on Movie Box Office, them and Intertops were the leaders.Pretty soft lines too, too bad I did not make jack shit back then(still dont) and could not take much advantage of those totals.

Yep, I used to play box office there back in the day. I used to enjoy trading American Idol futures there as well. Soft player props too.
    edited April 2013
    So maybe some of you should stop balling your eyes out for this stiff. Amazing how so many people can miss the point.

Some people are able to feel sympathy even for those who may have done wrong. Not judging how anyone views such a situation, just attempting to point out that just because someone doesn't view something how you do doesn't make your way right and theirs wrong.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited April 2013

First of all I don't see anyone balling there eyes out, Most are talking about there live betting (I believe they were the first) and Movie bets and props. But regardless a man die by his own hand or another. Wsex was an A rated book for a long time and I played with them back in the day and always got paid but my point is you don't plan on going from A rated to stiff things happen. Don't know how old you are but if you've been around long enough you go through some bad times that you didn't plan for shame he just never recovered. So I don't think anyone here missed the point and I'm sorry you got stiffed but playing Off-Shore is a risk we all take and sometimes we get stiffed and we move on.
  • TwoninerTwoniner Member
    edited April 2013
    Always had the feeling they were softer with some of their practices not b/c of incompetence, but because they were trying to give the player a fair shake. The article backs up that idea.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Goats wrote: »
    I don't want to start a debate, and I have no psych credentials (though I do possess some knowledge on the subject), but you seem to be underestimating one's mental health IMO. Mental illness/psychological disorders can be just as debilitating to quality of life as any physical illness. While severe depression, anxiety, and the like may not be "terminal", they can feel and be just as incurable to those who suffer from them.

You're 100% right about no debate, this is not the place for that, who knows maybe some other time and place...mental health issues are definitely complex and obviously vary in degrees of severity, but I'm sure there are cases where people "take the easier route" rather than confront their issues and have the strength to overcome them. The issue of not being able to pay back as opposed to not wanting to pay back are two different things, in this case it seems that he would have/did what he could to make things right so with reference to the other poster about the sympathy, understanding at the core it sounded like this individual's honor and reputation meant quite so much to him that ultimately he couldn't bare it in the end. I think that is what the author of the article was trying to get across.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited April 2013
    From Chad Millmans article this week, says this is what he wrote about Schilinger in "The Odds"
    "Schillinger, in his early 40s, remains a zealot, nothing can diminish his enthusiasm: not the fact that his mother didn't tell him his father died until five days after it happened out of fear he would come home for the funeral and be arrested. Not the fact he can't kiss his wife, who is still living in San Francisco, or coach his 12-year-old daughter's basketball team and his 10-year-old son's baseball team. And certainly there are no regrets about the fact that he is a fugitive from justice. 'To be honest, I still would have done it,' he told me. 'In the end it will probably be a good career move and be very lucrative.'"
  • billymacbillymac Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    guess he was wrong about the career move. RIP