Betting Talk

Mike Rice

BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
edited April 2013 in Sports Betting
what's your deal bro?

Comments

• BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Remember folks. ESPN is all over this........and they employ Bobby Knight.
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    article last month said bobby is not getting his contract renewed fwiw
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    "no big deal. you guys that didn't play college sports don't understand how it is."

-kass
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    "no big deal. you guys that didn't play college sports don't understand how it is."

-kass

You can't justify that it's no big deal happens all the time. Those days are long gone and rightly so. Some of these kids are big enough to break him in two and now a little class action law suit against him and the school for emotional scaring. It's as good as any.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Where can I get odds on him never coaching another game at Rugters? I see no way that he survives this (and the AD could very well go down with him). I hear that Minnesota is still hiring...
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    TommyL wrote: »
    Where can I get odds on him never coaching another game at Rugters? I see no way that he survives this (and the AD could very well go down with him). I hear that Minnesota is still hiring...

Man everybody taking shots at the gophers! Like I said before pretty sure Teague and Ellis know what their doing. Next gophers coach is msu assistant Dwayne Stephens.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    It will be interesting to see how Minny does the next few years compared with Texas Tech.
    edited April 2013
    kane wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Minny does the next few years compared with Texas Tech.

Really? They are in different leagues...Texas Tech is 16-68 in the last 5 seasons in the big 12 and now they are getting a 61 year old coach.

The national perception of the tubby firing+ the current search is hilarious. Shaka and B Stevens turned them down. The AD offered Flip Saunders the job under circumstances he could never accept and he did this to appease the boosters/fan base (genius move). Other then that there hasnt been any movement other then a few phone calls. Thursday the MSU asst will be announced as the new HC.
    edited April 2013

Minny is in much better shape right now than Texas Tech, so even with Tubby heading to Lubbock, I'd still like Minnesota's chances in that matchup.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I guess I didn't word it the way I intended. What I meant was, comparing the Gophers last few seasons with their next few, and let's see if Tubby can do anything at TT compared to their recent history. Likewise with NW, let's see if Collins can do better than Carmody. Personally, I think Minn and NW made a mistake firing their coaches, but time will tell, sorry about the confusion on my part.
    edited April 2013
    Personally, I think Minn and NW made a mistake firing their coaches, but time will tell, sorry about the confusion on my part.

I agree on both accounts.
    edited April 2013
    I guess I didn't word it the way I intended. What I meant was, comparing the Gophers last few seasons with their next few, and let's see if Tubby can do anything at TT compared to their recent history. Likewise with NW, let's see if Collins can do better than Carmody. Personally, I think Minn and NW made a mistake firing their coaches, but time will tell, sorry about the confusion on my part.

I can't speak to NW situation but it was a no brainer for gophers to fire tubby. Not only was terrible with in game coaching he got pretty much nothing out of Ralph Sampson and Rodney Williams and Justin Cobb and devoe Joseph transferred and became stars in other places. The only thing tubby could do was recruit. But when u have 3 guys transfer (Royce white as well but hard to blame that on tubby I guess) that's pretty tough to swallow. He lost the fan base and boosters this year and minnesota has 2 of the top 6 national recruits in 2014 and number 40 as well and we were not going to get any of them if tubby stayed.
    edited April 2013
    worm33 wrote: »
    I can't speak to NW situation but it was a no brainer for gophers to fire tubby. Not only was terrible with in game coaching he got pretty much nothing out of Ralph Sampson and Rodney Williams and Justin Cobb and devoe Joseph transferred and became stars in other places. The only thing tubby could do was recruit. But when u have 3 guys transfer (Royce white as well but hard to blame that on tubby I guess) that's pretty tough to swallow. He lost the fan base and boosters this year and minnesota has 2 of the top 6 national recruits in 2014 and number 40 as well and we were not going to get any of them if tubby stayed.

Oh forgot about Colton iverson as well. That's 4 guys who transferred who became top players in their conference. What a joke something is wrong there.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Would have caught the Sprewell from me.
  • cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Speaking of Rice ...... now that the Gov has commented both he and the AD will be out very soon. And rightfully so!
  • billymacbillymac Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    cabster13 wrote: »
    Speaking of Rice ...... now that the Gov has commented both he and the AD will be out very soon. And rightfully so!

No doubt. Bye Bye boys !!
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    my old high school basketball coach puts him to shame, he is nuts yes, but id like to see some film from every single ncaa basketball program before i single this guy out.He paid the price and if he remotely does anything like that again he is gone. I coached basketball at AAU level for years and used to throw the ball at the players feet when he wasnt paying attention ,parents were watching and never thought i did anything wrong, not remotely as bad as this guy but wtf.
    edited April 2013
    In the words of Ken Harrelson, "He gone".
    edited April 2013
    jets96 wrote: »
    my old high school basketball coach puts him to shame, he is nuts yes, but id like to see some film from every single ncaa basketball program before i single this guy out.He paid the price and if he remotely does anything like that again he is gone. I coached basketball at AAU level for years and used to throw the ball at the players feet when he wasnt paying attention ,parents were watching and never thought i did anything wrong, not remotely as bad as this guy but wtf.

What is a coach possibly doing that "puts to shame" chucking balls at players heads, physically grabbing them/pushing them, calling them every derogatory name in the book, etc? Also, it might have been considered acceptable stuff a generation or two ago, but sorta stuff isn't going to fly at many places in 2012.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I think Mike Rice would be a tremendous hire for my local CYO team. Throwing balls at 12 yr olds. What can possibly go wrong?
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    You can't justify that it's no big deal happens all the time. Those days are long gone and rightly so. Some of these kids are big enough to break him in two and now a little class action law suit against him and the school for emotional scaring. It's as good as any.

To clarify just in case you think I was saying it was no big deal, I wasn't. I think it's awful. I was attempting to make fun of kass a bit because I could see him saying something like this.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Mike Rice should never get another college coaching job period. There is no way that guy should be allowed to coach kids again, weather that's in college or even high school. He clearly has some issues. Also, Rutgers is the school where Tyler Clementi commited suicide after his roommate secretly filmed him with another guy and the whole school found out he was gay. Let's say one of his players was gay, here's your coach hurling basketballs at your head and calling you a "fucking faggott" and a "fucking fairy". Think how tough a situation that kid would be in anyway, now he has to deal with this. Rice clearly has anger issues as well as being homophobic. The AD needs to be fired also. After learning about this situation, he fires the whistle blower (Murdock), who is now suing the school I believe, a three game suspension is laughable, and only after public outcry Rice was let go.
  • ericvandenericvanden Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Completely agree with you Kane but somebody will eventually hire him. Pretty sure Dave Bliss even got an AD and Head Coaching job at a Prep School somewhere, and his 'baggage' was much worse than Rice. Sad.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited April 2013
    Mike Rice should never get another college coaching job period. There is no way that guy should be allowed to coach kids again, weather that's in college or even high school. He clearly has some issues. Also, Rutgers is the school where Tyler Clementi commited suicide after his roommate secretly filmed him with another guy and the whole school found out he was gay. Let's say one of his players was gay, here's your coach hurling basketballs at your head and calling you a "fucking faggott" and a "fucking fairy". Think how tough a situation that kid would be in anyway, now he has to deal with this. Rice clearly has anger issues as well as being homophobic. The AD needs to be fired also. After learning about this situation, he fires the whistle blower (Murdock), who is now suing the school I believe, a three game suspension is laughable, and only after public outcry Rice was let go.

President of RU needs to go as well. How in the fuck can somebody look at that tape and say, "oh let's see, three or four games suspension is enough to unring this bell"?!?!

The sad thing is, if not for ESPN, dude is still out there recruiting today.
  • StJoes0610StJoes0610 Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Jalapanose wrote: »
    President of RU needs to go as well. How in the fuck can somebody look at that tape and say, "oh let's see, three or four games suspension is enough to unring this bell"?!?!

The sad thing is, if not for ESPN, dude is still out there recruiting today.

i agree. its amazing that administrations think they can get away with this stuff post Penn State. Take your medicine and do the right thing the first time.
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Mike Rice should never get another college coaching job period.

Agreed, although I will say that I would love to see him get a job in the NBA where they would just beat his ass. Good luck throwing balls at and kicking Lebron, Birdman, etc.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited April 2013
    worm33 wrote: »
    Really? They are in different leagues...Texas Tech is 16-68 in the last 5 seasons in the big 12 and now they are getting a 61 year old coach.

The national perception of the tubby firing+ the current search is hilarious. Shaka and B Stevens turned them down. The AD offered Flip Saunders the job under circumstances he could never accept and he did this to appease the boosters/fan base (genius move). Other then that there hasnt been any movement other then a few phone calls. Thursday the MSU asst will be announced as the new HC.

Wrong answer, again.

Looks like it's gonna be little Ricky P. trying to hang with the big guns of the B1G. And a big ol' LOL at thinking that Minny's homegrown top 5 recruits are staying in-state. Better come up with some hefty-ass envelopes full of ca$h to make that happen.
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    TommyL wrote: »

"Minnesota is close to finalizing a deal with Florida International coach Richard Pitino, multiple sources told ESPN.com."
    edited April 2013
    In a prior life, I think that Pitino went by the name "Tim Brewster". Sorry to keep banging on Minnesota, but I just see this as another case of the fans/administration thinking that a job is more desirable than it really is. If people were unhappy with Tubby, then their expectations aren't where they should be (in my opinion of course).
  • eug44eug44 Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    You guys do understand that his behavior is the norm when it comes to college bball and high level high school??? That's just the truth, unless u are north Carolina, Duke, Kansas and hand pick the cream of the crop most college coaches get after players in that matter. One of the players who transferred from Kansas state to Rutgers said that practices there were much nastier!