Betting Talk

The mind of NFL coaches?

burgerburger Senior Member
edited January 2013 in Sports Betting
What is going on in their heads?

Forget about all the other awful and mind boggling decisions or statements NFL coaches have made in the past and for a moment just concentrate on the last 2 minutes of this Sea/Atl game that just finished:

3 coaches with some of the most mind scratching things you will ever see...

Mike Smith: Goes into ultra conservative "play not to lose" mode. Then when he gets the chance to miracle out the win he calls time out with 13 seconds left on the clock instead of running it down to 3-6 seconds. This not only ensured Seattle getting the ball back but after the insane squib to the 50 actually gave Seattle a somewhat decent % chance of completing a pass and attempting a long FG to win.

Pete Carroll: After being gifted momentum by the Jason Garrett/Ron Rivera/Mike Smith classic "play not to lose" decision, Carroll (ignoring all mathematical or probability factors) calls a time out (then tries to act like he didn't when FG was missed) which voided a Seattle win and gave Atlanta a mulligan and thus the win.

But what was most mind numbing to me was the idiot Brian Billick in the booth. A former SUPER BOWL winning coach mind you...

With 44 seconds left in the game...and Seattle with the ball at the Atl 30 yard line.
Down by 6 points and has it 1st down with all 3 timeouts left.
Billick states and I kid you not:

"You are at a point here where maybe you go ahead and kick the 3...try to onside kick or use all your time outs to get the ball back and then send this thing to overtime with another field goal at the end."

AND HE WASN'T KIDDING!!!

Comments

• jaanisjaanis Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Perfectly stated. I was yelling the same thing to my wife!
  • lilylily Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    I hope Billick isnt thinking of returning to coaching with a statement like that...I kept waiting for him to correct it but he mentioned it like twice ..
  • LawboyLawboy Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Billick said all kinds of weird things today. Called Seattle #1 seed, called fumble into end zone a re-do after it was clear Lynch was across the plane, and then that crap about the FGs. He's not getting another head coaching job for a reason.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    burger wrote: »
    What is going on in their heads?

Forget about all the other awful and mind boggling decisions or statements NFL coaches have made in the past and for a moment just concentrate on the last 2 minutes of this Sea/Atl game that just finished:

3 coaches with some of the most mind scratching things you will ever see...

Mike Smith: Goes into ultra conservative "play not to lose" mode. Then when he gets the chance to miracle out the win he calls time out with 13 seconds left on the clock instead of running it down to 3-6 seconds. This not only ensured Seattle getting the ball back but after the insane squib to the 50 actually gave Seattle a somewhat decent % chance of completing a pass and attempting a long FG to win.

Pete Carroll: After being gifted momentum by the Jason Garrett/Ron Rivera/Mike Smith classic "play not to lose" decision, Carroll (ignoring all mathematical or probability factors) calls a time out (then tries to act like he didn't when FG was missed) which voided a Seattle win and gave Atlanta a mulligan and thus the win.

But what was most mind numbing to me was the idiot Brian Billick in the booth. A former SUPER BOWL winning coach mind you...

With 44 seconds left in the game...and Seattle with the ball at the Atl 30 yard line.
    Down by 6 points and has it 1st down with all 3 timeouts left.
    Billick states and I kid you not:

"You are at a point here where maybe you go ahead and kick the 3...try to onside kick or use all your time outs to get the ball back and then send this thing to overtime with another field goal at the end."

AND HE WASN'T KIDDING!!!

Each point is spot on. The only Question I have is down 13-0 and looking like your going to get blown out now have a chance to put 3 on the board and make it 13-3 and give a little your team a little something to build as opposed to the other team possibly stopping you which they did and got them all jacked up. When you have 0 put something on the board.

These guys get paid millions to kick a Field Goal do they really think that time out bothers them. There cold why you give them a free shot to see maybe which way the wind is where's the defense coming from just let him kick the ball. Who thought of this crap and you know the kicker missed the first one that was done and everybody look at this we should do this.

There's no question in my mind that Seattle is the better team but to give credit Atlanta played the run outstanding but if they play that game 10 times Seattle wins 6 and that's even played all 10 at Atlanta.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    lily wrote: »
    I hope Billick isnt thinking of returning to coaching with a statement like that...I kept waiting for him to correct it but he mentioned it like twice ..

I just read where he interviewed for the Eagles job earlier this week.