Betting Talk

A heads up on taxes

bumpobumpo Senior Member
edited January 2013 in Sports Betting
Taxes were addressed in a different thread recently but I couldn't find it to bump. It's worth noting that there are, from what I've read, six states, mine being one of them, that have a mind boggling view of taxes on gambling.
When reporting you potentially have 2 options. One is to file as a pro and file a Schedule C. The second is to report as a recreational gambler, I guess as "other income". To file a Schedule C you must devote a substantial amount of your time to gaming and keep detailed records.
For state taxes if you file as a recreational gambler, you put your wins (defined as total amount won in winning "sessions") as income. You deduct your losses from losing sessions by itemizing in Schedule A. The catch is that the 6 states I alluded to don't allow you to deduct gambling losses. Incredible, but if audited as a rec gambler and you tell them you won 200K but lost 199K, you would be liable for taxes on $200,000 of additional income.
Anyway, if you are reporting as a recreational player, be sure to check out your state rules for reporting.

Comments

• Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    I won't argue with you because I really don't understand how that can be possible. As long as you have actual statements and proof of your losses I can't believe you owe taxes on 200k. I understand you said 6 states. In Nevada back in 2001 Long story short met a friend played Video poker Won 21k over the next 3 days tax time came and as long as you did a long form you declared 21k in winnings and 21k in losings. I could have lost 100k but could only claim up to the winning amount. Never paid a dime and believe I'm in this town a long time and have been audited before and I don't even think about messing with the IRS. Piece of mind is the only thing I'm interested in have to much to lose. Seen guys and Gals lives ruined forever by the IRS. Doing a short form completely different I would have had to pay taxes on the 21k.

Not saying you have your facts wrong because I'm really not up to speed on different states but that just doesn't sound right. I would play anything where I could win big money by gambling big money.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited January 2013
    In general, I would advise anyone reporting substantial gambling income to consult a tax professional (even if you're fortunate enough to live in a state with no state tax).
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Goats wrote: »
    In general, I would advise anyone reporting substantial gambling income to consult a tax professional (even if you're fortunate enough to live in a state with no state tax).

I have and what I did is perfectly legal. The key is you must be able to do a long form. But the advice you give is sound and picking UP sports book and race book tickets on the floor isn't going going to do it. I still watch guys do that and ask them do you really think the IRS are idiots.

My advice I've been there twice in the late eighties don't mess with the IRS Look at it this way if I'm paying them I'm making money but what bumpo is saying just doesn't make sense but then again I'm far from an expert.
  • bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    I read it in Tax Help for Gamblers and subsequently verified it on the WI Dept. of Revenue web site. I think they're after the guys with the W2-Gs issued and like OT says, they don't want guys coming in with a shitload of losing tickets with footprints all over them. I was cracked by the IRS and its sucks. Took me a long time to undo it.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Look at it this way if I'm paying them I'm making money

Completely agree.

I think I told this story before, but the first year I really did well (by my standards anyway), I spoke to my accountant on the phone and he said in a somber tone "You know you owe a lot of taxes." I responded "Oh I know, that's a good thing, it means I had a good year." He laughed and replied "Most of my clients don't see it that way."
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    A wise man told me years ago--- "make it, and pay it."