Betting Talk

Tiger Woods

burgerburger Senior Member
edited October 2012 in Sports Betting
That last 4 foot putt he missed along with his conceding the putt of almost equal length to Molinari changed direction of a lot of $.
Those that bet the "tie" at big odds got screwed, those that had Europe to win on the 2 way line went from a push to a win and those that had Europe to win on a 3 way line went from a loss to a win.
I wonder how many people across the pond are having a pint and singing their praises to Eldrick?

Comments

• LowkeyLowkey Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Molinari should have picked up his ball in the fairway and went and celebrate with his team. He thought about doing it but Olazabal wanted him to play it out.
  • Papa BingPapa Bing Member
    edited October 2012
    Why would he "pick up his ball"? Why not play it out? As it turned out Europe won instead of tying.
  • BiggTBiggT Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    It's never a good idea to bet on the late single matches due to they might be meaningless
  • BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    TW
    Appeared he didn't seem to care about making that last putt and when he gave Molinari that 5 footer I confirmed my disturbing thought. TW maybe a great golfer but his dimeaner is akin to Dufner, a block of ice!
  • billymacbillymac Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    sum him up in one word. Selfish. always has been, always will be.
  • LowkeyLowkey Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Papa Bing wrote: »
    Why would he "pick up his ball"? Why not play it out? As it turned out Europe won instead of tying.

The match was meaningless at that point. A tie was the same as a win, if it wasn't then why did they celebrate like that? Woods and Molinari stood in the fairway for 5 minutes while the Europeans partied near the green. If the Woods match still had meaning like you suggest then it should have been completed before Europe celebrated their Ryder Cup win.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited October 2012
    My thought is different on this. I think Molinari should have given Tiger the match as soon as Europe had won the Cup. Tiger was up 1 on the 18 and should have won the hole without finishing. Must have been hard to concentrate on the shots after the celebration.
    edited October 2012
    Lowkey - I never suggested that the Woods/Molinari match "mattered". Please don't put words in my mouth - "still had meaning". All I said was why would he pick up his ball. As it turned out the score was 14 1/2 - 13 1/2 instead of 14 - 14, thus the European team WON the cup instead of retaining it by virture of a tie.
  • jpg30jpg30 Member
    edited October 2012
    Molinari should have given Tiger his putt & obviously, Tiger would have reciprocated. With all of the celebrating going on in the background, it would have been the gentlemanly thing to do, particularly under the circumstances. While it's true that Molinari wanted to win the match (he said so in the post-match press conference) making a player putt under those circumstances isn't consistent with the gracious nature of Ryder Cup history.
    edited October 2012
    Agree. The right thing to do would have been for them to say good - good and shake hands.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    The smart thing would have been to not have tiger go out last when you already have 10 points. How stupid was that in the first place.
  • JoeyNorthJoeyNorth Junior Member
    edited October 2012
    I believe if they would have been tied when they had those putts left, it would have been a "good, good" situation almost for sure. Unfortunately "good good" meant Tiger would win the match and I can understand why Molinari didn't want that, after grinding for so long, even though it was meaningless with respect to the team title.
  • jaydogjaydog Junior Member
    edited October 2012
    I thought Tiger proved to be the bigger man in the end by doing what Molinari should of done....conceding the putt.