Betting Talk

BM "must start" policy

HavanaHavana Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Sports Betting
Am I right that BM mandates "must start" pitchers for all over-under plays and also some side plays? Thank you for any response.

Comments

• StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited May 2012
    Havana wrote: »
    Am I right that BM mandates "must start" pitchers for all over-under plays and also some side plays? Thank you for any response.

Totals are always "listed pitchers" and I believe runlines are too(not 100%, I don't play them).
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Stevie is correct of course, and that's a universal rule, not unique to BM.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Stevie Y is correct as Goats confirmed in addition The game has to be completed for Total's and Run Lines to become official. As far as side plays there are books that require starting pitchers start and throw one pitch and not give you the choice of just action. I did business with a book like that can't remember which one but it didn't bother me IMO you should always list pitchers.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    Stevie is correct of course, and that's a universal rule, not unique to BM.

I know that he's usually right, but are we going that far with it?

;)
  • SnakeheadSnakehead Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    This may not be relevant to Havana's question, but worth noting:

Note:If there is a pitching change prior to the game, money odds may be adjusted. If one scheduled pitcher starts against any unscheduled pitcher, "action" wagers will be computed by the opening price with the new pitcher. A pitcher is deemed a starting pitcher after throwing one pitch.

So, if you pick a team to win, and specify "action" instead of listed pitchers, they will change the odds on your bet.
    edited May 2012
    Snakehead wrote: »
    So, if you pick a team to win, and specify "action" instead of listed pitchers, they will change the odds on your bet.

Which is why no serious bettor would ever choose "action". Tough to determine if you have an edge on a bet without knowing the odds.
  • youreyouyoureyou Member
    edited May 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    Which is why no serious bettor would ever choose "action". Tough to determine if you have an edge on a bet without knowing the odds.

Just curious since I have never chose "action". Doubt this would ever happen, but just coming up with the most drastic scenario. Say you placed your bet the night before on say Harang (LAD) +120 on the road against Dempster (CHC), 1u to win 1.2u, but for some bizarre reason, both pitchers get scratched and Kershaw ends up starting against Volstad. Now the odds turn into Kershaw -250. Would they end up placing the bet as 1u to win 0.4u or would they end up laying 2.5u to win 1u for you automatically? Like I said, just throwing the most ridiculous of situations out there, but what I was trying to get at would be if the bet would change due to the odds? Since they auto-change the odds after your placed your bet, would they auto-change your bet to fit the odds?
    edited May 2012
    youreyou wrote: »
    Just curious since I have never chose "action". Doubt this would ever happen, but just coming up with the most drastic scenario. Say you placed your bet the night before on say Harang (LAD) +120 on the road against Dempster (CHC), 1u to win 1.2u, but for some bizarre reason, both pitchers get scratched and Kershaw ends up starting against Volstad. Now the odds turn into Kershaw -250. Would they end up placing the bet as 1u to win 0.4u or would they end up laying 2.5u to win 1u for you automatically? Like I said, just throwing the most ridiculous of situations out there, but what I was trying to get at would be if the bet would change due to the odds? Since they auto-change the odds after your placed your bet, would they auto-change your bet to fit the odds?

Good question, I honestly have no idea how action works in that respect.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    At most books I'm aware of, if you have "action" for say $100-- you will get the $100 on whatever line is put up after the pitching change.

And, while I understand about wanting to know the line you're laying-- I've always wanted to be able to bet action on MLB totals. If I've got 2 teams that are hitting like crazy, with suspect starters, and bad/tired bullpens-- I'd like to be able to be the OV regardless of who is pitching.
  • HavanaHavana Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    At BM today, and I think every day, all totals are "must start".
    edited May 2012
    At most books I'm aware of, if you have "action" for say $100-- you will get the $100 on whatever line is put up after the pitching change.

And, while I understand about wanting to know the line you're laying-- I've always wanted to be able to bet action on MLB totals. If I've got 2 teams that are hitting like crazy, with suspect starters, and bad/tired bullpens-- I'd like to be able to be the OV regardless of who is pitching.

What if the pitching change goes from Verlander to some AAA guy making his first start? Maybe the total jumps from o6.5 -110 to o9 -125? (Just making up an extreme hypothetical, I don't even follow baseball). Saying you want the over no matter what the price is not sharp. Not picking on you, just reiterating why no serious bettor would want any form of action.
    edited May 2012
    Havana wrote: »
    At BM today, and I think every day, all totals are "must start".

Correct, as with every book.
    edited May 2012
    youreyou wrote: »

They don't add additional money it would be 1u to win 0.4
    edited May 2012
    I said--

And, while I understand about wanting to know the line you're laying-- I've always wanted to be able to bet action on MLB totals. If I've got 2 teams that are hitting like crazy, with suspect starters, and bad/tired bullpens-- I'd like to be able to be the OV regardless of who is pitching

So it wouldn't be a Verlander starting to begin with--- and I realize it's not sharp. And not something I'd do everyday. But, I'd most likely be betting OV 10.5 or 11 -120 or so, and the new line wouldn't be that out of whack. And, by the way, you're not the first to accuse me of being "dull".
    edited May 2012
    Betthemdogs,

there's not a book that you can bet a total on without using the starting pitchers. There is no option on total's and Run lines if the listed pitchers do not go and there's an Off" pitcher you have "No Action" you can only designate Action on a side play.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.
    edited May 2012
    No. You are correct. I was saying I wish I could have action on totals once and awhile. You are also correct on the amount of the bet-- i.e. if you bet $120 to win $100 and have "action"-- if the new pitcher is a +125 dog, you would have $120 bet at +125.