Betting Talk

Don't bet on basketball

PettimorePettimore Senior Member
edited January 2012 in Sports Betting
Lines have gotten too tight.......ras is something like 8 and 23 in totals this month........and some of the winners didn't beat the closer..........run for the hills.

Comments

• RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited January 2012
    Never overreact to short term results, whether they are good or bad.
  • BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    I want to call him a dickhead, but that would break a rule so.......
  • DeanoDeano Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    Quite a statement...might as well just hang up your gambling shoes for good with that kind of thinking my man.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited January 2012
    BigPerm wrote: »
    I want to call him a dickhead, but that would break a rule so.......

Keep it constructive please.
  • jimmymojimmymo Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    Keep it constructive please.

And the below is constructive how???? No big deal to me, just saying....

Pettimore wrote: »
    Lines have gotten too tight.......ras is something like 8 and 23 in totals this month........and some of the winners didn't beat the closer..........run for the hills.
  • DeanoDeano Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    Maybe the *running for the hills" could be the constructive part...good cardio.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited January 2012
    jimmymo wrote: »
    And the below is constructive how???? No big deal to me, just saying....

Obviously not every original post is necessarily going to be constructive, otherwise the forum would be dead. There's a difference between starting a thread and responding to one.
    edited January 2012
    It is true that the market progressively gets tougher as the season goes on, but it is not like you suddenly go from 60% to 33% when the clock hits midnight on New Year's. You just never know when a good or bad run is going to hit. When it is bad, nothing goes right, and when it is good, you can do no wrong. We have had a bad run on totals to start January 2012, but even in November when the market is supposed to be easiest, we had a bad run, starting 9-16 on totals, which was followed by a 67-31 run.

This latest 11-23 run on totals sucks, but as much as it is shocking even to me (the last thing you're thinking amidst a 67-31 run is that you are about to go 11-23) in reality it shouldn't be a shock to anyone, especially when considering three winning plays losing due to OT alone. Variance is a bitch and always will be.
  • mltn1010mltn1010 Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    I recall someone posting something about RAS doing bad in November or December and then Ed just smacked them in their face with big winning run. It goes up and down. However, he has more ups than downs!! Keep up the good work!
  • increasedoddincreasedodd Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    The one thing I find interesting, and maybe this is constructive is when RAS is running hot, totals were moving 4-5 points. When they started running cold they have been moving 1-3 points. Are people really betting that much more on these when RAS is hot or are books just reacting a heck of a lot more.

In any case, I'm kind of thinking since all hot runs come to an end when these things start moving 4-5 pts its time to bet back against them and when they are only moving 2 points, just betting the pick is the way to go. It's been interesting to say the least to watch the line movements.

Ed - do you think you have a bigger edge on sides or totals? I used to think totals, but I am beginning to think sides or at least sides seem to have less variance and sure as heck let you get a lot more money down at the pick line or minus a half. I guess what I'm asking is if you max bet the pick at $2k would you rather bet another 2-3k at -.5 on a side or -2.5 on a total?
    edited January 2012
    The one thing I find interesting, and maybe this is constructive is when RAS is running hot, totals were moving 4-5 points. When they started running cold they have been moving 1-3 points. Are people really betting that much more on these when RAS is hot or are books just reacting a heck of a lot more.

When losing streaks hit, there just isn't going to be much demand for numbers that are more than a point or so worse than the release line.

As for the sides vs totals question, it is hard to say. If you go back 3-5 years, totals have definitely done better. If you go back 2 years, sides have done better. If you go back 2 weeks, totals were doing better than sides this year. Some people will say the totals market has changed, but has it really changed enough to make sides easier? I don't know for sure, but probably not.
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    RightAngle wrote: »
    When losing streaks hit, there just isn't going to be much demand for numbers that are more than a point or so worse than the release line.

As for the sides vs totals question, it is hard to say. If you go back 3-5 years, totals have definitely done better. If you go back 2 years, sides have done better. If you go back 2 weeks, totals were doing better than sides this year. Some people will say the totals market has changed, but has it really changed enough to make sides easier? I don't know for sure, but probably not.

Does the market really believe in streaks? Enough to change the amount that the line moves? That's amazing to me, if true. Each game is obviously independent, and while streaks have to exist, they are not predictive in any way.

I certainly think the totals market is harder than it was 2 years ago.

I also think the totals market increases in efficiency more throughout the season than the totals market does. I feel like beating totals at this point in the season is much tougher than beating sides.
    edited January 2012
    Does the market really believe in streaks? Enough to change the amount that the line moves? That's amazing to me, if true. Each game is obviously independent, and while streaks have to exist, they are not predictive in any way.

I certainly think the totals market is harder than it was 2 years ago.

I also think the totals market increases in efficiency more throughout the season than the totals market does. I feel like beating totals at this point in the season is much tougher than beating sides.

That should say sides in the previous post. The totals market increases in efficiency more than the sides market does (at least that's my opinion).
  • ContrarianContrarian Banned
    edited January 2012
    That should say sides in the previous post. The totals market increases in efficiency more than the sides market does (at least that's my opinion).

Definitely agree with this. In fact, I would say that you could argue that NCAAB totals is the sharpest market around, considering that the ratio of "sharp" minds to dead money capping totals is somewhere on the order of 9:1, and that's probably a conservative estimate.

I am guessing that Joe Sixpack who bets NCAAF sides/totals NFL NBA sides probably looks at NCAAB totals and says "no way do I wanna bet that stuff." I am not saying that Joe Sixpack makes any of the aforementioned markets move, but the only competitors that NCAAB totals cappers have are other totals cappers, thus the competition for the "good" numbers is fierce.

Hope that makes sense.
    edited January 2012

To further comment on this post, I should clarify that I do believe in the market getting more efficient as the season goes. I just don't believe that hot/cold streaks are predictive in any way.
    edited January 2012
    CBB totals are still the hardest lines for anyone to set, just due to the sheer volume of teams and games, and the number of variables that can affect projections. While I do agree it gets tougher as the season goes on, and it is true that most of the people playing them are sharper than average, overall it is still a very beatable market, if not the most beatable of any major sport.

When measuring the toughness of a market, another big variable is what time of day you are playing into it. Perhaps sides at 7:30-8:00am are easier or comparable to beating totals at 2:00-3:00pm, but if I had to choose one or the other at the same time of day, I would definitely go with totals.
  • bburritosbburritos Member
    edited January 2012
    Totals market more efficient than sides? Come on. CBB totals is still the most beatable market in any major sport, like Ed stated.
    edited January 2012
    bburritos wrote: »
    Totals market more efficient than sides? Come on. CBB totals is still the most beatable market in any major sport, like Ed stated.

Then why is team RAS shutting down for 45 days?
    edited January 2012
    Contrarian wrote: »
    Then why is team RAS shutting down for 45 days?

We aren't shutting it down, we just aren't offering a service.
  • bburritosbburritos Member
    edited January 2012
    I don't understand your question. Why did they decide to have their service only run through today at the start of the season? I don't know the answer to these questions, but they have their reasons. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the totals market being so efficient.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    Personally, for those that thought this was not a constructive thread I beg to differ. This thread has created a good DEBATE with some interesting reasoning either way. Having said that, IMO when one is looking a breaking the season into three segments pre conference, conference, and tournament time I think if adjustments are made based on teams being familiar or unfamiliar with each other an argument can be made that there is +EV to totals and sides at different portions (or segments) of the season. Obviously, there are capping variables such as schedule, injuries, etc. that come into play during those segments along with the occasional non conf. game that is thrown in between but overall it seems year in and year out that the efficiency definitely adjusts much more during conference play as opposed to the other two segments. This would most likely correlate to the shut down period during conference play. It would be interesting to see what the stats are across the board for most successful cappers if you took out the "middle segment" for say a 5 yr. sample size. That's not to say that you can't get some games with good value both sides and ttls through out the conference segment but rather it would be more prevalent during the other two segments. In any case, that's just been my take over the years FWIW.
    edited January 2012
    bburritos wrote: »
    I don't understand your question. Why did they decide to have their service only run through today at the start of the season? I don't know the answer to these questions, but they have their reasons. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the totals market being so efficient.

My question was that your statement (and I seem to recall reading that you had joined team RAS) that "NCAA totals remain the easiest of the major sports to beat" seemed to be contradictory to the fact that ras is shutting down the service for a significant portion of the season. It just seemed/seems illogical and paradoxical to me, but I'm obv not privy to all motives/reasoning/rationalizations for the apparent dichotomy, so it's probably best that I not comment further.

Good luck the rest of the season!
    edited January 2012
    CBB totals must still be the most beatable. Otherwise books would take more than happy meal limits.

That said, CBB totals are impossible to follow - gotta be the guy initiating them. Sides are a much better market for services.
    edited January 2012
    If no service, any chance you'll throw up some plays on the forum?
    edited January 2012
    If no service, any chance you'll throw up some plays on the forum?

Yes, and on Twitter.