Betting Talk

LSU/MSU thoughts....

sparkyl2sparkyl2 Senior Member
edited September 2011 in Sports Betting
I think alot of people are pretty confused by this line and are using the old adage of "if it looks too good to be true, than it usually is". I haven't really seen any reasoning behind taking MSU other than the thought that LSU-3 is a sucker bet.

A little history here. MSU last beat LSU in 1998. For whatever reason, the Tigers just own them and are 7-1 ATS in the last vs MSU. MSU hung up 550+ yards on Auburn but the week before Utah State put up +475 yards on Auburn. In week 1 MSU put up over 600+ yards against Memphis but then last week Ark State also put up over 600+ yards vs Memphis. So is the MSU offense that good or are the 2 defenses they played just that bad? I think MSU has a very solid offense but the numbers are grossly inflated because of playing 2 weak defenses that Utah State and Arkansas State were able to put up similar numbers against.

Defensively, MSU allowed 250 yards rushing vs Auburn while Utah State only allowed 96 yards rushing against Auburn. In week 1 MSU allowed 161 yards rushing against Memphis while Arkansas State only allowed 81 yards rushing against Memphis. LSU on the other hand held Oregon, (arguably the best spread rushing attack in the country) to around 80 yards rushing and lowly Nwestern state to under 20 yards rushing.

So MSU has ran the ball extremely well against 2 teams that 2 non BCS teams also ran the ball equally well against and MSU has allowed more rushing yards than the 2 non BCS teams did. To me, on paper and given the history of the series, this matchup really isn't that close. By using the old theory of "if it looks to good to be true, it usually is" you can often give away perceived value by being afraid to bet on games that you feel you have a true edge in. I don't adhere to this theory. If I cap a game at -7 and the line is -3, why on earth would I not bet it? Just because I am in fear of the game "looking too good to be true"? If I'm not going to bet on the games that I think looks good then what in the world am I going to bet on?

The x factors in this matchup are 1. The Thursday night home team. Over the last 5 years, the home team on Thursday is 47-27 ATS on Thursday night
25-16 (.610) as a favorite
22-11 (.667) as a dog

Of the 22 covers by the home dogs, 18 were outright wins. That scares me a little. The other x factor is Jarrett Lee. The 2009 season is still fresh on my memory when he was a pick 6 throwing machine. While that concerns me a little, it doesn't scare me away from this game. Another thing in LSU's favor is that MSU just had its heart ripped out by Auburn on the 1 yard line. That's tough to get over and I imagine there was a bit of an emotional hangover until at least Monday or Tuesday. I expect the stadium to be rocking and I expect MSU to keep this one close early. But in the end, the team that can run the ball AND stop the run, usually wins. History of 12 straight wins and 7/8 ATS covers by LSU is also on our side. 34-21 Tigahs.

Comments

• sparkyl2sparkyl2 Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    A few other notes.... MSU starting left tackle senior James Carmon got hurt vs Auburn. He is not expected to play tonight and will be replaced by a freshman. MSU starting center Quentin Saulbury also got hurt against Auburn but is expected to play. Depth on the OL is very much a problem for MSU in this game and it can be an unforgiving one going against a defensive line of the caliber of LSU. MSU is 2-15 SU in their last 17 SEC home openers.
    edited September 2011
    I missed the window to edit my last post. The last sentence should read MSU is 2-15 SU in their last 17 SEC openers instead of SEC home openers. My apologies.
  • Wurzz03Wurzz03 Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Good points sparky. I was thinking the same thing about LSU, but you made solid points. Thanks.
  • TrifectaTrifecta Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    going with you and LSU -3
  • Deli314Deli314 Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Just jumped on the moneyline at -165. Miles always seems to get the tigers up for these primetime nationally televised games.
    edited September 2011
    Well I wasn't close on the score but I feel like I nailed the winner and the reasons they would win. Again, every time I read a post by a MSU backer on this board or any other, the only reasoning given was "it's a shady line" or "it looks too easy". That isn't capping a game. If anything that is second guessing yourself. LSU was clearly the better team from start to finish and thus they got the cash. I don't worry with what the public is doing on a game in September. Hope the write up helped some people pull the trigger. Good luck to everyone going into the weekend.
  • EscootEscoot Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    That LSU defense is very good. Any guesses for the total when they play Alabama later this year?
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Escoot wrote: »
    That LSU defense is very good. Any guesses for the total when they play Alabama later this year?

38.5 or so. Similar to the 09 season if I recall
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    horn wrote: »
    38.5 or so. Similar to the 09 season if I recall

U think LSU will be giving 38.5? I only have them as a 23 point favorite over the Tide, but you would know.....
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Child Please
  • utixutix Banned
    edited September 2011
    Bama will lose 3 in a row. Just not sure if North Texas or Vandy will be the end cap