Betting Talk

The Masters

KashmirKashmir Senior Member
edited April 2011 in Sports Betting
Mickelson Top 5 +170 (5Dimes)

Has been in the top five in 8 of the last 10 years. The two years before that he was 6th & 7th. We'll see.

Comments

• hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the play, will give me something to root for.

I would appreciate an honest response here, even if you vehemently disagree:

I just bet Rory McIlroy to Finish Top 10 at +330 for some funny money. I don't follow golf and have no dea why I clicked on this bet and submitted it in addition to your suggestion. Do you have an opinion on the bet? Is the guy a good golfer or does he just have a cool name? Thanks!
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    horn wrote: »

I just bet Rory McIlroy to Finish Top 10 at +330 for some funny money. I don't follow golf and have no dea why I clicked on this bet and submitted it in addition to your suggestion. Do you have an opinion on the bet? Is the guy a good golfer or does he just have a cool name? Thanks!

He is a really great golfer. He is going to win a few majors. One of the best of the young guns. Not a bad bet but its probably priced about right.
    edited April 2011
    Another thing to take note is that The Masters is a reduced field. So instead of 144 golfers you are only dealing with about 85-90. Plus about 20 of those have absolutely no shot.

Just looked. 99 in this years field with 6 of those being amateurs.
    edited April 2011
    Tournament
    Bohn over Jeong -140 (5Dimes)
    edited April 2011
    I have decided to start a Golf Handicapping service. Any suggestions on a name for the service?
  • choons81choons81 Senior Member
    edited April 2011

Pos Name 1 2 3 4 Today Thru Total Strokes
    1 Rory McIlroy 61 - - - -7 17 -7 61
    T2 Retief Goosen 60 - - - -4 16 -4 60
    T2 Matt Kuchar 52 - - - -4 14 -4 52
    T4 Ross Fisher 69 - - - -3 F -3 69
    edited April 2011
    It almost sucks when you make a good bet that you spent an entire 3 seconds to "handicap" and you can spend hours on end handicapping certain games and look like an absolute fool. If Freud were still alive and kicking, I think he would say that my affection for Kevin Costner and Greg McElroy subconsciously led me to this bet which in turn served as a spring board to my new golf handicapping service!
  • gahwillahgahwillah Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Horn-

Somethingtorootfor+330forsomefunnymoney Golf Services.......just a suggestion....
    edited April 2011
    Smokin' Trees and Strokin' Tees
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Rory is my favorite player on tour right now, obviously it is only Thursday but it would be amazing for him to win.
  • BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Horn:
    For a novice you certainly have a "highlight" pick shoots 65 -7 1ST round-- preeeeeety niceeeeee....
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Rory McIlroy scorecard from the last major he lead after 1st rd

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/players/scorecard?playerId=3470&tournamentId=798
    edited April 2011
    Like bowling: The higher the score, the better, right?
    edited April 2011
    lang/horn golf service
    LOL!!!!
    edited April 2011
    Have another one.

TIN-HORN GOLF SERVICE
    AKA TIN CUP'S HORN GOLF SERVICE
    edited April 2011

Halfway home!
    edited April 2011
    Third Round
    Mickelson U70.5 strokes -130
    Westwood O70.5 strokes -120
    edited April 2011
    After Round Two
    Mickelson Top 10 +140

all these at 5 dimes.
  • golfgurugolfguru Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    looks as if you did just fine:)
    edited April 2011
    Can't believe you picked a name and he's leading the tournament after three round haha. I doubt he wins but your top 10 money looks safe.
    edited April 2011
    Kashmir wrote: »
    Can't believe you picked a name and he's leading the tournament after three round haha. I doubt he wins but your top 10 money looks safe.

Nothing is ever safe for me when it comes to gambling these past 6 or so months. Inventing new ways to lose bets each week. Wonder what the odds of him finishing top 10 at the turn today were? -9999ish

Thank goodness it was just funny money or I would have been in the car from ATL to meet him at the clubhouse at Augusta
    edited April 2011
    This loss is right up there in terms of sheer pain with me randomly taking Nicolas Mahut against John Isner in '10 Wimbledon. Feels like both bets were similar in matchplay length
  • BetATLBetATL Super Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Biggest choke by a McElroy since the Iron Bowl :)

Great bet though, just a fluke turnout.
    edited April 2011
    haha that's funny no matter who you pull for.
    edited April 2011
    Nothing is ever safe for me when it comes to gambling these past 6 or so months. Inventing new ways to lose bets each week. Wonder what the odds of him finishing top 10 at the turn today were? -9999ish

Thank goodness it was just funny money or I would have been in the car from ATL to meet him at the clubhouse at Augusta

I felt bad after he crashed today. I figured he wouldn't win but he really melted. He is still a future multiple major winner. Just a tough loss.
    edited April 2011
    Mickelson was just pathetic this week. I wonder if his wrist was acting up.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited April 2011
    We can break out the old Master's joke and insert McIlroy in place of Norman.
    edited April 2011
    Kashmir wrote: »
    Mickelson was just pathetic this week. I wonder if his wrist was acting up.

If I were his spouse, i would make sure it is acting up for the next several weeks after bringing shame on the family this weekend.