Betting Talk

shit call in Lions game

jaanisjaanis Senior Member
edited September 2010 in Sports Betting
I am really sick of these dumb ass rules for the NFL. The Lions should have won plan and simple. What HORRIBLE call that was.

Comments

• BookiefitsBookiefits Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Actually worked out perfect for Vegas. Bears get the W and the books get the cover. It was a bad call
  • cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Total JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NEJimNEJim Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Christ sake they got to change that rule wow !!!
  • BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    I missed it....what happened?
  • BookiefitsBookiefits Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Calvin Jones made a great catch in the endzone..controlled the ball on the way down. He jumped up to celebrate and in the process flung the ball from his hands. They reviewed in and said he has to maintain control ALL the way through the catch and REVERSED it of all things.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Bookiefits wrote: »
    Calvin Jones made a great catch in the endzone..controlled the ball on the way down. He jumped up to celebrate and in the process flung the ball from his hands. They reviewed in and said he has to maintain control ALL the way through the catch and REVERSED it of all things.

The thing that made it bullshit is that he did control it through the catch, he had already controlled it and scored the touchdown before he let the ball go to celebrate.

One of the worst calls I have ever seen.
  • ShacroShacro Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Just saw it. That was pretty bad, and upsetting for the Lions.

Every part of the kid's body hit the ground and the ball had clearly crossed the plane while in possession of a player.

They basically need to take the rule and not apply it to the "endzone". The NFL's rule is as follows:

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."
  • payrollpayroll Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Thanks shacro for the rule. I think you could say that he maintained control of the ball as he touched the ground (when his knee hit the ground) and then ruled it a TD. There obviously is some point at which the play is over, which is not specified in the rule. He's not going to maintain control of it for the next hour. They could've just let it go saying he had control when he first hit the ground as specified in the rule. Insane play. Had the Bears in my survivor pool. Lucky, but ashamed of the Bears play.
  • ShacroShacro Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    I agree Payroll.

Had the catch been ruled a TD and the game been over, I bet the Bears would have headed to the locker room and took their beating from the secondary coaches. The Bears know the deal.
  • jaanisjaanis Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Johnson move with the ball to the ground was secondary meaning the catch already happened. Even the ex-head of NFL referees said so live on air. Look at Mike Williams catch he just made in Seattle for touchdown and he lost the ball afterward. Same for all RB that push the ball over the plain of the goal and then lose it, get it stripped or fumble, still a TD. So what is the difference?
  • bixlerbixler Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Bookiefits wrote: »

The call on the field was incomplete and it was confirmed via replay. They didn't reverse the call on the field and they correctly upheld the incomplete pass as the rule is very specific. As the ball touched the ground he lost control of it and that means he didn't complete the entire process of catching the ball and going to the ground. I don't agree with the rule but they made the correct call.

2-10-CHI 25 (:31) (Shotgun) 14-Sh.Hill pass incomplete deep right to 81-C.Johnson. The Replay Assistant challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was Upheld.
    edited September 2010
    The rule of breaking the plane of the goal line for a running back, or even a receiver that is running into the endozne, is different then actually completing the catch in the endzone. That's why it's different when the running back scores and loses the ball.

Mike Williams did not complete the catch in the endzone, he caught the ball outside the endzone and ran it in. Because he had already completed the catch process in the field of play, as soon as the ball crossed the goal line it was a touchdown. Totally different play then actually completing the catch in the endzone like Calvin Johnson didn't do.
  • LawboyLawboy Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Isn't this the Bert Emanuel rule? Tampa/st Louis NFC championship game where same thing happened, but not fit a touchdown.
  • LUCKY777LUCKY777 Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Here is what I see: He catches the ball with both feet in bounds, then spins, and once he is down and has maintained control, he then put the ball down on the ground as he was rising to feet.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YLljlP3NlQM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YLljlP3NlQM?fs=1&hl=en_US"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Touchdown!
  • cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    bixler wrote: »
    The rule of breaking the plane of the goal line for a running back, or even a receiver that is running into the endozne, is different then actually completing the catch in the endzone. That's why it's different when the running back scores and loses the ball.

Mike Williams did not complete the catch in the endzone, he caught the ball outside the endzone and ran it in. Because he had already completed the catch process in the field of play, as soon as the ball crossed the goal line it was a touchdown. Totally different play then actually completing the catch in the endzone like Calvin Johnson didn't do.

I understand the purpose of the rule but the officials TOTALLY BLEW the call and then defended the blown call in the booth. Bad for the game and tyhe rule needs to be ammended to not allow a game to be taken away from another team like this. Bukllshit rule and a bigger Bullshit call and repaly ruling!
  • CobraCobra Junior Member
    edited September 2010
    It looked as though he consciously broke his fall to the ground with his free hand while clearly clutching the football with his other hand. As soon as he's down and certain any 70-year-old ref would recognize it as a touchdown, he lets loose the ball and gets up to declare victory for the oft-losing Lions.

What constitutes the end of the play? Stand statuelike with the ball until a ref approaches and asks for it? These guys do everything faster than the rest of us--catch, touchdown, leave ball on ground, celebrate.

Total jobbing.
    edited September 2010
    cabster13 wrote: »
    I understand the purpose of the rule but the officials TOTALLY BLEW the call and then defended the blown call in the booth. Bad for the game and tyhe rule needs to be ammended to not allow a game to be taken away from another team like this. Bukllshit rule and a bigger Bullshit call and repaly ruling!

How can you say they totally blew the call when they made the correct call according to the rule? The refs were 100% correct in their on field call and their replay review, according to the rule.

I agree the rule probably needs to be amended but you can't say that was a bad call based on the way the rule is currently written.