Key's NBA Line, Monday, 3-8-10

KeyElementKeyElement Banned
edited March 2010 in Sports Betting
Cleveland, -5.5, 199
NY Knicks, +6.5, 211
Memphis, -5.5, 194
Minnesota, +6, 204
New Orleans, -4, 213

Obviously the line is perfect because A) Sagarin calls it -4.81 and then B) you allow for Ronny Turiaf being out and you are up to 7 and C) the big money has not punched a ticket on this game. Ooops! Pardon me, it just dropped a half to 6.5. Better hurry or the value will be gone.

Computations based on A) the entire season B) the last 20 (weighted) and C) last 10 (weighted) give me above average probability of the Warriors covering a spread, while (by the same formula) the Hornets stand only a 50.5% chance of even winning the game, much less clearing 7 (oops 6.5) points in the process. The problem with bettors is the same as with Boston yesterday. The bettors are willing to follow the Hornets (Celtics) to the gallows no matter how poorly they themselves are playing, believing (even after 5 months of contrary evidence) that the Warriors are a terrible team that stands no chance of beating anyone. A 17-45 SU record says they are terrible, so the only way the books can balance the books is by throwing points at them. Well like Barnum said, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time. Some of those that are not fooled have cashed on the Warriors sterling 34-27 ATS record.

There is a very good reason why these things happen. The Warriors have been banged up and playing with 8 and 9 healthy players all year, some called in on emergency status, even guys from the D League, sometimes giving a look to anyone over six feet tall with a reasonably healthy looking body. Virtually, it has been that bad.

So, if it is virtually that bad, why isn't it literally that bad? This is good ground to cover and you may wish to make notes, at least mentally if not in your computer or notebook. The NBA has, literally, the largest talent pool in all of professional sports to draw from. The NFL is basically an American talent pool, with heavy restrictions on size and weight. MLB has a game played and developed all over the world, without severe restraints on size or weight, but played mostly in temperate climates. The NHL has the opposite problem in that very few people in temperate climates play or develop in the game and that is where most of the world's population is. Basketball? World wide popularity, simple and cheap to play. Like Red Auerbach said "only 5 guys, the ball is round and the floor is smooth, no problem". So basically the most widely played team sport in the world has to supply only 450 of its very best to fill the NBA rosters, far and away the most lopsided proportion of talent to any major professional sport.

What does that mean? It means that not one single player is there unless he earned it. His talents and possible contributions are not to be undervalued at any time. Playing with a patchwork lineup at Atlanta Friday night, they put up 122 points (at +13) and lost by only 5 points, in a third game in four nights situation, suiting up only 9 players and using only 8 of them.

Consider this aspect. Some of the Warriors players did not expect to get a chance this year, must less the chance to play extended minutes on a consistent basis. They fight hard every single game to either stick with the Warriors or look attractive to some other team. Next time you are tempted to tink of "lazy" professional athletes, think of the Warriors as the counterbalance.

JMHO, Good luck.

Comments

• KeyElementKeyElement Banned
    edited March 2010
    Hope everyone understands, Warriors +6.5 is your play of the day. GL.
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    nevermind
  • paid03paid03 Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Right-on Key!
    edited March 2010
    Bonus Pick
    Spurs-Cavaliers OVER 192.5
    When I capped this game the pure number was 193.5, but without Parker I landed on 199 because Parker does not effect the Spurs offense nearly as much as their defense. In the 10 games he has missed the Spurs have been OK at 5-5 SU, +0.4 ppg but only 3-7 ATS because the opponent scoring rises to 102 ppg versus 97.5 with Parker at the point. Opinions are divided on this as the first moves were up, as high as 195 (loss of value), but someone whacked the under and drove it back down (significant gain in value). If you like it, better get it now as the money is coming in again on the over.
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    whoa only +6.5 for the warriors at NO? Hornets seem like a lock there
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    Warriors play zero defense and can't win on the road period. I just don't see how the public isn't pounding NO...
  • calzonesayscalzonesays Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Those D-Leaguers on the Warriors play hard...just sayin...

can't really endorse either side of that game at the moment though
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    who? tolliver? he's alright I guess but they still win only once in a blue moon. Have to shoot the lights out to cover basically.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited March 2010
    ChaseG wrote:
    Warriors play zero defense and can't win on the road period. I just don't see how the public isn't pounding NO...

Maybe they are. In general, the public doesn't move large market lines, especially on random NBA games.
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    Don't you think the hornets will be motivated to play hard at home? meanwhile the warriors are injured on the road and could care less about their season at this point other than to keep their job.. 6 points seems awfully low with how good NO is at home.
  • xlcfxlcf Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Maybe that's correct... but maybe it's also true that the general public will think exactly as you and bookies are seeing a different game just like KeyElement... who knows? It's NBA.
    edited March 2010
    ChaseG, did you read the analysis or just the pick? Your concerns were both addressed.
  • randy2005randy2005 Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    my book now drop another 1/2 point
    stand at new orlean -6
    wow wow
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    what is GS's lineup? they must have monta ellis and biedrins back, if not. The line movement kind of shocks me.. all i hear is NO is going to take its anger out of them at home... warriors must be getting tired of losing they might just tank a game soon
  • calzonesayscalzonesays Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Monta isn't back just yet, that nancy cost me my fantasy season...
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    You still fantisize of Bertha, the Carnavalle Queen Belly Dancer, who has dropped 75 lbs, thanks to Marie Osmond and Beano!!!
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    guess you have to jump on the warriors when it goes to 6 and the logical play is hornets plus all the squares love them
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Great to see you posting on the regular here recently Key.
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    what do you think at the half? I feel like buying out big time. Several times the warriors looked good but will foul late because don nelson said so and lose by 7+
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    wow, if warriors played defense on one possession they would probably win, they are shooting almost 60% and will still probably get blown out
  • wcf1214wcf1214 Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Did anyone se the end of the cavs game,how the last 30 seconds or so and how the total went over 191??
  • nyjets1532nyjets1532 Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    varejao made 2 ft's to put cavs up by 4 with about 4 seconds left.....ginobli goes length of court for meaningless running double-clutch 3 pointer....quite disgusting!
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    MORROW! 6 for 6 3's but warrior fundamentals lets NO take the lead right back. this will be rough if warriors don't cover shooting 60% for the game
  • wcf1214wcf1214 Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    in time it evens out the bad beats,but it hurts for a while.... and ty nyjets
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    yeah this is a loser, warriors can't rebound and will miss 3's a couple times and lose by 7 unfucking real. Did the books expect warriors to shoot 100% for the game with this defense?
  • xlcfxlcf Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Its fun to watch GS playing!!!
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    YES!!! CURRY 2 straight miracle 3's!! I think we got this key. I needed to jinx it
  • xlcfxlcf Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    We Got It!!!!!!! :d
  • DragonswirlDragonswirl Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Thanks Key,

Just because you got NO -4, don't let it go to your head...you only missed the total by 53 ;-)

Regards,
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited March 2010
    nice call, I was right about warriors playing no defense and them having to shoot the lights out to cover I guess lol.