Betting Talk

traveling to Italy

jets96jets96 Senior Member
edited July 2018 in Sports Betting
So my nephew is having a destination wedding in tuscany Italy in Sept, to be honest i haven't been to europe in a very long time.
Am wondering for those that have, what is the easiest way to exchange money for euro's ...it seems people like to just go to a bank and use your credit card and take out euro's or a atm machine, i think i might call my bank and find out about extra fees attached to taking out money at an ATM.
Should i just use my credit card everywhere i go and let them convert for me ?
any help would be appreciated, am getting nervous already thinking about it.

Comments

• danshandanshan Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    I got screwed when I used my card the conversion rate was horrible, I learned the hard way, was not italy but the exchange rate screwed me. I suggest everything cash and google search for best exchange rates
  • StJoes0610StJoes0610 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    Jets I don’t know if you’re Bofa, but if you are you can order foreign currency on your online banking and they ship it to a branch of your choice. Believe it can be done overnight too. I went to a friends wedding in ‘15 and ordered like 2500 euro and they take it out of your account with a proper exchange rate. Maybe small fee but it’s 100x better than most other currency exchange services that rape you.

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s a link:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/foreign-exchange/foreign-currency-exchange.go

Maybe other banks have it too
  • bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    I use a credit card almost exclusively. Use one with no foreign transaction fees and let them know you'll be out of the country so they don't shut it down. If you need a little cash use an atm. If you need cash from the airport for a taxi or whatever you'll get hosed unless you use an atm. Have fun!
  • StJoes0610StJoes0610 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    bumpo wrote: »
    I use a credit card almost exclusively. Use one with no foreign transaction fees and let them know you'll be out of the country so they don't shut it down. If you need a little cash use an atm. If you need cash from the airport for a taxi or whatever you'll get hosed unless you use an atm. Have fun!

this is a good idea too. we were heading a little off the grid so i wanted to make sure i had enough cash.
  • danshandanshan Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    I am just scared of the conversion rate at some restaurants and stores it can add an extra 10-15% to each purchase. BUT WHO CARES HAVE A BLAST! if you get bored call me I will sell my house and buy a ticket and come to drink a beer!
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    guys thanks for the help , dont want to carry a lot of cash with me ,so i guess the best thing to do is to find out what fees i have to pay and use the atm machines.

Bumpo so at the airport find a atm machine and get a little euro from it, dont go to any exchange places?
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    Jets, the advice given above is A-1. Want good sea food? Travel down to Sicily, east coast. The sauce is less bitter and darker. BTW, not Palermo.
    edited July 2018
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Jets, the advice given above is A-1. Want good sea food? Travel down to Sicily, east coast. The sauce is less bitter and darker. BTW, not Palermo.
    Going to tuscany
    edited July 2018
    jets96 wrote: »
    Going to tuscany

What part? big area.
    edited July 2018
    Florence
    edited July 2018
    Never been there, but hear it nice and good wine.