Betting Talk

Looks like ESPN fired about everyone

Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
edited April 2017 in Sports Betting
Names still coming out as I type this but I've seen at least 100 or more thus far that ESPN has let go today. Anyone know what's going on?

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    About time. Losing money and audience.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Losing money and audience.

This.

ESPN announced in advance that there would be mass layoffs coming today and it was expected/speculated to approach 100 people.
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited April 2017
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited April 2017
    I'm shocked at some of the really good people that they got rid of...Jayson Stark, Dana O'Neil, Eamonn Brennan, Danny Kannell. Even some of the analysts like Len Elmore, Jerry Punch, Doug Glanville, and Dilfer surprised me. But I was floored when I read about Andy Katz this morning. He should be out of a job for about 5 minutes. How do people like him and O'Neil and Stark lose their jobs and yet Jamelle Hill, Stephen A Smith, and Dan Lebatard's dad still have a job at ESPN? Brutal.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    TommyL wrote: »
    I'm shocked at some of the really good people that they got rid of...Jayson Stark, Dana O'Neil, Eamonn Brennan, Danny Kannell. Even some of the analysts like Len Elmore, Jerry Punch, Doug Glanville, and Dilfer surprised me. But I was floored when I read about Andy Katz this morning. He should be out of a job for about 5 minutes. How do people like him and O'Neil and Stark lose their jobs and yet Jamelle Hill, Stephen A Smith, and Dan Lebatard's dad still have a job at ESPN? Brutal.

Idiots like Screamin' A. get eyeballs because they are controversial. Plenty of those watching can't stand him but they ARE watching. Who the hell tunes in to watch Dilfer?
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited April 2017
    Maybe now their coverage of video games will go up. They took the S out of ESPN a few years ago.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    TommyL wrote: »

Lebatard is one of the best things ESPN has going for them
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    kane wrote: »
    Lebatard is one of the best things ESPN has going for them

I agree his Father cracks me up. His morning show on the radio sucks.
  • Orv99Orv99 Member
    edited April 2017
    How does that Blowhard Lunardi survive? His NCAA field predictions are a joke and a waste of time. Until He actually selects the field he needs to go away! Probably singlehandedly makes the ESPN cafeteria profitable.��
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    I agree his Father cracks me up. His morning show on the radio sucks.

I love his radio show, I've been listening to it for about 10 years. It was only a few years ago that ESPN picked his show up, prior to that he was only on in South Florida. It's not your typical sports talk which is why I enjoy it, I can see why it's not for everyone, his show is different from the others in that he isn't talking hard core sports for three straight hours, but there's so much of that already that Lebatard brings a bit of fresh air with his approach, but like I said, I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    His main guy Stugotz I can't stand his voice or what he says. But as you say to each is own.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    His main guy Stugotz I can't stand his voice or what he says.

How clever they got by the censors with Tony Soprano's boat name Stugots/z. Means "dick" in most Italian slang dialects.
  • Chisox6Chisox6 Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Looks like Chad Ford and Marc Stein gone too, at least this summer. Hits keep coming.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Ronbets wrote: »
    How clever they got by the censors with Tony Soprano's boat name Stugots/z. Means "dick" in most Italian slang dialects.

John "Stugotz" Wiener was a producer for Hank Goldberg who used to have a radio show down here, Hank was the one who gave him the nickname Stugotz. Where Hank got the name from I don't know, you could be right about him getting it from the Sopranos
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Just glad to see Mark May gone.
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    That's what happens when you're a sports news outlet that decides to push your politics.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    buckeyes wrote: »
    Just glad to see Mark May gone.

A few years ago when Miami was going through the Nevin Shapiro scandal, May was advocating the school get the death penalty, glad that pos got canned