Betting Talk

The Monty Hall Problem

buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
edited June 2015 in Sports Betting
Came across this today. Very interesting, curious to what you guys think?

THE MONTY HALL PROBLEM: George is on a game show, and he has to pick one of three doors. There's a car behind one of them and goats behind the other two. He picks door number one. The host, who knows what's behind all the doors, opens door number two, revealing a goat. He then says to George, "I'll let you switch doors if you want." Should George stick with door number one or switch to door number three?

The correct answer is to switch to door number three. -Submitted by Andrew Stein

To the average person (and many academics, originally), it seems obvious that switching should make no difference for George's odds. The car is equally likely to be behind door one or three, so whichever door George picks, he has a 50-50 chance of getting the car…right?

That's wrong, though. Switching will give him an advantage statistically because now there’s a 2/3 probability that the car is behind door number 2. Check out our explanation below:

<iframe width="710" height="490" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4Lb-6rxZxx0"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comments

• TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Switching is the correct answer (and assuming that someone understands the exercise, switching is the obvious answer).
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited June 2015
    That's an old probability test. His answer is right, you always switch. No matter what you choose, your choice has a 2/3 chance of being wrong and there will always be at least one unchosen door that has a goat behind it. Just because they show you that door doesn't make your choice any more right. People get attached to their choice and just stick with it but it is a terrible decision. Many of them will say their chances are 50/50 but that is just brutal math, it is still 33%. You double your chances just by switching.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited June 2015
    I find this topic offensive.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Goats wrote: »

Correct answer is obviously switching, however this is the first time I've come across this (never been a big fan of game shows). Just thought it be interesting to discuss.
    edited June 2015
    buckeyes wrote: »
    Correct answer is obviously switching, however this is the first time I've come across this (never been a big fan of game shows). Just thought it be interesting to discuss.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. It was a lame joke on my part about the use of a goat. Nothing wrong with the topic at all.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. It was a lame joke on my part about the use of a goat. Nothing wrong with the topic at all.

Didn't even catch that, it went over my head. :laughing:
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015

I literally laughed out loud reading this, good stuff Goats
    edited June 2015
    buckeyes wrote: »
    Didn't even catch that, it went over my head. :laughing:

Me too, but I've got the excuse that the only time I've read BT over the past two days is while sitting in my car charging my phone. 50+ hours now without electricity, and might not be back until Saturday or Sunday. And let me tell you, not much worse in the world than a spoiled 3 year old without TV or his tablet. :(
    edited June 2015
    TommyL wrote: »
    Me too, but I've got the excuse that the only time I've read BT over the past two days is while sitting in my car charging my phone. 50+ hours now without electricity, and might not be back until Saturday or Sunday. And let me tell you, not much worse in the world than a spoiled 3 year old without TV or his tablet. :(

Brutal. Hope it's restored sooner than later and you survive/keep your sanity in the meantime.

Sounds like a good excuse to introduce him to watching World Cup in a sports bar.
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    I understand that in the beginning all three doors have a 1/3 chance of being a winner.

i understand that Combined doors 2 and 3 have a 2/3 chance of winning.

My question is...with 2 doors available after Monty opens one, is there not a 50/50 chance for each door. We no longer have 3 choices.

With only two choices remain, how is this not a 50/50 prop. Has the sample size change not affected the odds?

Thanks in advance.
  • shoeboxshoebox Member
    edited June 2015
    you guys never saw the movie "21" i assume
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    namathfan wrote: »
    I understand that in the beginning all three doors have a 1/3 chance of being a winner.

i understand that Combined doors 2 and 3 have a 2/3 chance of winning.

My question is...with 2 doors available after Monty opens one, is there not a 50/50 chance for each door. We no longer have 3 choices.

With only two choices remain, how is this not a 50/50 prop. Has the sample size change not affected the odds?

Thanks in advance.

It's easier to comprehend if you think of the problem with a lot of doors - let's say 100. You pick one, meaning you've got a 1% chance that the car is behind that door (call this group A) and a 99% chance that it's behind any of the other doors (call this group B). Monty can't open the door with the car - that's key - so he opens 98 of the doors in group B (and sees 98 Goats :laughing:), leaving only 1. Remember, there is a 1% chance your car is in group A and a 99% chance your car is in group B, that hasn't changed, and if it was in group B, Monty danced around it intentionally, making sure to open the other 98 doors. So now group A still has a 1% chance and group B still has a 99% chance, but group B only has one car in it, so switch.
    edited June 2015
    Dr. H wrote: »
    (and sees 98 Goats :laughing:)

I fail to see the humor (assuming these were the noble creatures and not 98 of me which would be far more disturbing than funny).

In all seriousness though, very good explanation to make the situation easier to comprehend.
    edited June 2015
    If you switch and lose in Jeff's example (ie you had the right door all along), are you allowed to start a bad beat thread?
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    If you switch and lose in Jeff's example (ie you had the right door all along), are you allowed to start a bad beat thread?

Only if your posting nick is Golfer.
    edited June 2015
    Brutal. Hope it's restored sooner than later and you survive/keep your sanity in the meantime.

Sounds like a good excuse to introduce him to watching World Cup in a sports bar.

It just came back about 20 minutes ago (in the nick of time). That would have been a perfect plan (and what I probably would have done), except that I'm umping a Legion double header tonight and have to watch the game late night on DVR. I need to leave in about an hour, so if it wasn't already on, then I would have been SOL and had to just check the score on my phone tonight after it was over.
    edited June 2015
    It just came back about 20 minutes ago (in the nick of time). That would have been a perfect plan (and what I probably would have done), except that I'm umping a Legion double header tonight and have to watch the game late night on DVR. I need to leave in about an hour, so if it wasn't already on, then I would have been SOL and had to just check the score on my phone tonight after it was over.

Glad you got your power back. The rest of your post just shows a serious lack of priorities though. Bad enough you're not watching the US live, but you're also going to miss out on at least half of the best game of the tourney.

Viva la France!
    edited June 2015
    Glad you got your power back. The rest of your post just shows a serious lack of priorities though. Bad enough you're not watching the US live, but you're also going to miss out on at least half of the best game of the tourney.

Viva la France!

Yea, I'm kinda regretting it right now and didn't plan ahead well enough when I made my schedule a month ago. This first 30 minutes has been awesome.
    edited June 2015
    Yea, I'm kinda regretting it right now and didn't plan ahead well enough when I made my schedule a month ago. This first 30 minutes has been awesome.

Minus the ref, great first half.
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Thanks Dr.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited June 2015

Viva la France!

Why did they schedule a game opposite a Copa America quarterfinals
    edited June 2015
    durito wrote: »
    Why did they schedule a game opposite a Copa America quarterfinals

Good question. Why does FIFA do half the shit they do?