Betting Talk

Biggest longshot cash ever

CoolsCools Senior Member
edited June 2015 in Sports Betting
I can't stop thinking about my $50 Brandon Grace wager to win $6400 at the U.S. Open. Obviously didn't come through (can't believe he hit it OB!) but just was curious to know what everyone's biggest longshot cash ever was.

Mine was in golf this year, Koepka to win the Waste Management, $50 won $2400. What's funny is that the only other golfer I had had was Matsuyama and it came down to those two on No. 18.

Who's got a feel good underdog story to tell?

Comments

• BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Won a twin-tri ticket at the dog track in Dubuque once. I had one exchange for the back half and got $50K for it. I later found out that the guy who had the only other winning ticket was a pro dog player who had 108 exchanges
  • gatorshoosiersgatorshoosiers Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    $50 on Matt Every in the 2014 Arnold Palmer only guy I took that week won around $3,500. Wish I bet like roulette and had to take him again this year! His odds were even higher during his re-peat performance. I've hit a handful of pick 4's over the years totaling around 10k but its all been donated back to the track =).
  • jackets4jackets4 Member
    edited June 2015
    $50 on Matt Every in the 2014 Arnold Palmer only guy I took that week won around $3,500. Wish I bet like roulette and had to take him again this year! His odds were even higher during his re-peat performance. I've hit a handful of pick 4's over the years totaling around 10k but its all been donated back to the track =).

$50 on the the Rams to win the Super Bowl in 1999 season (2000 Super Bowl). Still able to get 100-1 offshore after watching them house the Falcons by 40 live in week 2 or 3. Had my doubts the check would ever come...
  • rcmoneyrcmoney Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    When I think of long shots it's horse racing for me - Ferdinand 1986 Kentucky Derby I had 200 to win on him and Bill Shoemaker was the jockey. paid 37.20 to win. I watched the race at the now closed Hollywood Park hard to believe 30 years ago almost
    RC money
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    probably hit something bigger at some pt, but remember this from last year

BseRPH_CcAEmLR1.png
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited June 2015
    My biggest hits were a 63K pick 6, 53K pick 6 and a 31K pick 4. I'll ignore the 63K pick 6 since it was on a 2400 ticket, spread like a demon but the other 2 were interesting.

The 53K pick 6 came in 2009, 2nd to the last or the last day of the Del Mar meet. As I started to look over the 6 races, the first race was a mess. 12 horses, nothing looked good so I moved to the next race. I went with two horses, John Scott and Wolf Tail. Next race, solid single, Indian Firewater. Next race, obvious single, Looking at Lucky. The next race I cut it down to 3, Craig's Storm, Ballistic Heat and Draft Choice. The last race, MSW, I saw a longshot I loved, Gilligan(more on him later). Improving races, had a monster workout coming in, and I decided to make it cheap and go All/2/1/1/3/1. $144 ticket. Right as I entered it, I just started thinking about the only other horse that caught my eye in the last race, Kalookan Commando. Right up until the 1st race of the pick 6, I thought about adding him but I decided to stick with my capping and whatever happens happens. 1st race, ALL race, 7-1 winner, not a huge price but ok. John Scott won the 2nd at 3-1, Indian Firewater the 3rd at 3-5. Looking at Lucky at Even money, Craigs Storm in the 5th at 5-1. No real prices in the 1st 5 and now I am singled to a 12-1 horse in the final race. I kept looking over that race while I waited for it to start, thinking was there ever a reason to add the 2nd horse or just ALL that race too. It wasn't like the ticket was big. I liked him but I was sure wishing I had the other horse on it. Gilligan past the leader on the final turn. Kalookan Commando was flying on the outside. Right about mid-stretch he pulled alongside Gilligan, 1/2 length back, knew i was dead. From that point to the finish, they stayed exactly in that spot. Gilligan dug in like champ. No crazy big prices, 53K pick 6. Play big carryovers!

A note on Gilligan. I don't know if he will come back to race this year, but he was still racing in December 2014. He got pinched back at the start and didn't really run in that race, the 68th of his career(ITM over half of them). He has been a very good upper claiming/allowance horse, thought of enough that Rafael Bajarano was on him for his most recent race. My 63K pick 6, also at Del Mar, in July 2011. 2400 ticket, 1 single on the ticket. Yep, Gilligan, and he dug in down the stretch started to pull away and then held off a late comer. So yeah, I know a lot about a horse not many people even knew existed. He's done me good. :)

31K pick 4 at Sana Anita on Belmont Stakes day this year. Put my ticket together, $1 ticket came to $140 but there was one horse I threw out I really wished I had. Adding the horse put it in a range that I didn't think the ticket was worth playing. As I starting putting my ticket in, one of the horses I had in that race scratched, so I added him in. He wound up winning the race at 8-1. For a Pat's fan, it was a sign, his name Patriot's Rule. :) Sometimes you need dumb luck. I left right after I placed the bet. If the horse was scratched 5 minutes later, I would have had the post time favorite and a losing ticket(and been kicking myself for leaving the horse out)

Biggest human sports bet longshot was Calgary 40-1 to win the Western Conference the year they lost in the Cup Final.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Pick 6 in calder for 110K had to split 3 ways and had to fly down to play it, no simulcasting those years. 1700 invested

Pick 6 in Belmont & Aqu multiple times ranging any where from 6k to 125k and divided 3 ways always, thanks to the Hardoon Family.

Pick 3 42K garden st park took the whole pool solo. Art Madrid jockey in the last leg paid 109.00 in a 7 horse field. Can't remember the year but Joe Bravo was an apprentice that year and Rick Wilson was also riding at that time. If i remember correctly Jimmy Edwards was riding the first leg and paid close to 63.00. always used Jimmy in exotics because I knew he was carrying a battery.
  • 2sportguy2sportguy Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Cools wrote: »
    I can't stop thinking about my $50 Brandon Grace wager to win $6400 at the U.S. Open. Obviously didn't come through (can't believe he hit it OB!) but just was curious to know what everyone's biggest longshot cash ever was.

Mine was in golf this year, Koepka to win the Waste Management, $50 won $2400. What's funny is that the only other golfer I had had was Matsuyama and it came down to those two on No. 18.

Who's got a feel good underdog story to tell?

I have come super close with so many golf long shots but I think the biggest I hit was Martin Kaymer to win the players last year at 100-1.......The biggest near miss I had was Spencer Levin 300-1 in Phoenix 4 years ago when he blew a 7 stroke lead on Sunday

If you are a golf longshot player then a 5dimes account is a must btw........
  • CoolsCools Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    2sportguy wrote: »
    I have come super close with so many golf long shots but I think the biggest I hit was Martin Kaymer to win the players last year at 100-1.......The biggest near miss I had was Spencer Levin 300-1 in Phoenix 4 years ago when he blew a 7 stroke lead on Sunday

If you are a golf longshot player then a 5dimes account is a must btw........

That must've been gut-wrenching to watch Levin choke like that. I love betting the longshots in golf, sometimes go with the shorter odds (had Walker in San Antonio this year), but mostly the big dogs. I had Jimenez at 120-1 at the Masters when he finished second a few years back.

You horse players have won BIG! Good stuff guys.
  • waddywaddy Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Won a twin
    Grew up in Dubuque and at that track.
    Back in the hay day...the first couple years, had giant crowds. Remember when the pick 6 got up to some kind of record and professional bettors were showing up suitcases full of cash. Used to go nuts with tri boxes at the track in Waterloo during the winter months when it was long shot city.
    Oh for the good old days
  • barmoycmbarmoycm Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Race: 10 Win Place Show
    1st 12 Self Insured 98.00 36.20 16.20
    2nd 1 Legate 30.00 18.20
    3rd 5 Miller's Turbo 24.20
    4th 6 Yankee Bay
    $2 Exacta 12-1 2078.80
    $2 Trifecta 12-1-5 53546.60
    $2 Superfecta 12-1-5-6 306465.80

played the highest 3 horses for shits and giggles 40-1, 50-1, and a 80-1 i believe in Vegas.. only mine and 1 other ticket sold hit hte triple so we split 53K.. was nice
  • shoeboxshoebox Member
    edited June 2015
    if the triple paid 53k u took 53k, no splitting thats already factored in, u sure u got that right??
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited June 2015
    shoebox wrote: »
    if the triple paid 53k u took 53k, no splitting thats already factored in, u sure u got that right??

Unless he played it for $1.
  • barmoycmbarmoycm Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    correct.. $1 bet .
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    5Dimes let you Parlay certain Nascar events..this year I hit Brad Keselowski wining a race at +1600 and R Newman in top 5 +260..paid 61 to 1. some of those horse prices are crazy..