Betting Talk

Your baseball Mount Rushmore

kanekane Senior Member
edited April 2015 in Sports Betting
Pick the four guys that best represent your favorite team. Since I'm a Marlins fan and a Reds fan, I'll do both.

Marlins) Jeff Conine, Mike Lowell, Josh Beckett, Giancarlo Stanton
Reds) Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Barry Larkin, Joe Morgan

The Reds were much tougher, a lot of worthy candidates I left off

Comments

• StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    I really like MLB doing this for the ASG.

As a Phils guy Id have to go....

Schmidt...Klein....Carlton.....Robin Roberts. Could very easily have Bunning or Ashburn in last spot.

Ill add my 4 greatest living players for kicks.....

Mays.....Koufax....Bonds...Aaron
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Stack, I might have put Rollins in there, but obviously very tough to only pick four
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Ted Williams- Dual war duties separate him from the pack.

Koufax- Many lefthanded hitters have called in sick when he was scheduled.

Bob Gibson- Mean SOB that would knock you down if you hit a loud foul.

Mariano Rivera- Game over. Luis Gonzalez benefitted from a drawn in infield.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    I think JRoll is top 8. around 6-7 range. just my opinion.
  • BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    P.ROSE/SANDY KOUFAX/M.RIVERA/W.MAYS
  • bluejakebluejake Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Being from the Burgh, Pirates- Clemente, Stargell, Elroy Face, Bill Mazeroski. Was 10 years old in 1960 had a paper route used to go to games almost every night or day that I could with paper money and sit in right field and watch the GREAT ONE at Forbes Field and my Dad was a buyer for mens clothes at Gimbels sometimes people would give him 3rd base box seats that was so special, I loved that 60 team !! Used to love when Milwaukee would come to town and get to watch Aaron and Clemente, Spahn and Burnette .Those were the priceless days !!
    edited April 2015
    Jake, listening to Bob Prince was worth driving atop the highest point to listen to KDKA. His sayings were something else. He always called Clemente "Bobby".
  • DeadMoneyDeadMoney Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Jackie Robinson, Kershaw, Koufax, Drysdale
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    My Mount Rushmore of the Yankees

Mickey Mantle (Nothing more to say)

Yogi Berra (Talk Bench all you want, Berra 3x MVP plus countless awards the best catcher ever)

Mariano Rivera (Mr. Sand Man Enough said)

Whitney Ford (Money)

Another without any Yankees

Bob Gibson (People feared getting into the box. A bad man on the mound)

Sandy Koufax (Tell me when you find a better pitcher)

Willie Mays (Maybe the best 5 tool player the game will ever see)

Ted Williams (Possibly the best hitter ever)
    edited April 2015
    N.Y. GIANTS --MEL OTT,CARLHUBBLE/EDDIE STANKY/WILLIE MAYS
    edited April 2015
    Bases loaded last of ninth game tiesd 2 out--name one player you would want up in that senario to win the game?
    PETE ROSE
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Old-Timer wrote: »

Yogi Berra (Talk Bench all you want, Berra 3x MVP plus countless awards the best catcher ever)

Whitney Ford (Money)

Another without any Yankees

Bob Gibson (People feared getting into the box. A bad man on the mound)

Sandy Koufax (Tell me when you find a better pitcher)

Willie Mays (Maybe the best 5 tool player the game will ever see)

Ted Williams (Possibly the best hitter ever)

I know it's impossible to only pick four Yankees, but the Babe would have to be on my Yankee Rushmore
    edited April 2015
    Who's pitching ? Where they playing? What year is it? It the pitcher a righty or leftie? How's the weather is it cold in April or Warm like July.

:) Just Breaking balls. My answer would be and I didn't put him on my mount rushmore because there was room for only four .

FRANK ROBINSON the only player to win the MVP in both leagues.
    edited April 2015
    kane wrote: »
    I know it's impossible to only pick four Yankees, but the Babe would have to be on my Yankee Rushmore

Yes your right and there's others (Lou Gehrig) but I tried to stick to the ones that I actually seen play. Great Topic kane, really that was fun and will continue to be. Doesn't always have to pretain to gambling.
    edited April 2015
    bluejake wrote: »
    Being from the Burgh, Pirates- Clemente, Stargell, Elroy Face, Bill Mazeroski. Was 10 years old in 1960 had a paper route used to go to games almost every night or day that I could with paper money and sit in right field and watch the GREAT ONE at Forbes Field and my Dad was a buyer for mens clothes at Gimbels sometimes people would give him 3rd base box seats that was so special, I loved that 60 team !! Used to love when Milwaukee would come to town and get to watch Aaron and Clemente, Spahn and Burnette .Those were the priceless days !!

Meant to say Lew Burdette, old age!
    edited April 2015
    BayOcean wrote: »
    Bases loaded last of ninth game tiesd 2 out--name one player you would want up in that senario to win the game?
    PETE ROSE

No other!!
  • jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Ted Williams- Dual war duties separate him from the pack.

Koufax- Many lefthanded hitters have called in sick when he was scheduled.

Bob Gibson- Mean SOB that would knock you down if you hit a loud foul.

Mariano Rivera- Game over. Luis Gonzalez benefitted from a drawn in infield.

Sure he benefited from the drawn in infield, but he loaded the bases in the first place. Couldn't get an aging Mark Grace out, then makes a wild throw to 2nd on the bunt, then gives up another hit to Womack, then hits Craig Counsel who was 2 for 24 at the plate coming into that at bat. The only out he got in the inning was the sacrifice bunt force out at third. Funny thing is on that, Brosious had an easy double play if he threw it to first.

Mariano is the greatest closer ever, but between that, and not getting the lower half of the Red Sox order out in the 9th in game 4 of 2004 ALCS, he cost the Yankees 2 more World Series because he couldn't get 3 outs in the 9th on both occasions.
    edited April 2015
    jammer wrote: »
    Sure he benefited from the drawn in infield, but he loaded the bases in the first place. Couldn't get an aging Mark Grace out, then makes a wild throw to 2nd on the bunt, then gives up another hit to Womack, then hits Craig Counsel who was 2 for 24 at the plate coming into that at bat. The only out he got in the inning was the sacrifice bunt force out at third. Funny thing is on that, Brosious had an easy double play if he threw it to first.

Mariano is the greatest closer ever, but between that, and not getting the lower half of the Red Sox order out in the 9th in game 4 of 2004 ALCS, he cost the Yankees 2 more World Series because he couldn't get 3 outs in the 9th on both occasions.

You're tough jammer. LOL
    I remember a day game in Arlington he coughed up for me when giving up a 2run HR to Juan Gonzalez. I got over it.:laugh:
  • babaorileybabaoriley Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Without reading anything else:
    Braves:
    Aaron, Matthews, Spahn and (wait for it) Murph

If it's only Braves that I watched (was alive for):
    Murph, Maddux, Glavine, Chipper (apologies to Smoltz, '91 playoff Steve Avery, Fred McGriff, Ron Gant, David Justice, Bob Horner -for the 4HR game that delighted me as a kid- & Francisco Cabrera.

My Anti-Rushmore:
    Rafael Ramirez, Bruce Benedict, Pascual Perez, BJ Upton - apologies to Dan Uggla, John Rocker, Ken Oberkfell, Glenn Hubbard, Jerry Royster (basically every non-Murph/Horner/Claudell Washington Brave from 1982-1989 for providing such shitty support for Murph)
    edited April 2015
    babaoriley wrote: »

My Anti-Rushmore:
    Pascual Perez

Baba, Would Pascual Perez be on your list if he had a GPS device?
    edited April 2015

Whitney Ford (Money)

No Jeter? I think he belongs.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    My Yankees Mt Rushmore;

Babe Ruth (his numbers vs others of his era were sick--still the greatest player ever)

Lou Gehrig (the Iron Horse)

Mickey Mantle

Mariano Rivera

(I can hardly believe DiMaggio couldn't/didn't make my list)
    edited April 2015
    You Yankee guys are on the $$. However OT, I wouldn't put Whitey Ford in there.

My all-scrub Yankee infield would be as follows:
    1b Curt Blefary
    2nd Horace Clarke
    SS Tom Tresh
    3b Jerry Kenny
    Mgr Johnny Keane
    edited April 2015
    My Yankees Mt Rushmore;

Babe Ruth (his numbers vs others of his era were sick--still the greatest player ever)

Lou Gehrig (the Iron Horse)

Mickey Mantle

Mariano Rivera

(I can hardly believe DiMaggio couldn't/didn't make my list)

Your question first your right but as I said it's only the Yankees I seen play.

I'm not that old Bucky lol...
    edited April 2015
    DeadMoney wrote: »
    No Jeter? I think he belongs.

I love Jeter and enjoyed watching him play for a long time. but who would you take off?
    edited April 2015
    I love Jeter and enjoyed watching him play for a long time. but who would you take off?

Yeah the Yankees have some players. I grew up with Jeter and he is the captain! 12 years as the yanks captain, most ever. You've seen more ball than I have and I would say Berra but some of his numbers are better than Jet. He should be mentioned, that is all.
    edited April 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    You Yankee guys are on the $$. However OT, I wouldn't put Whitey Ford in there.

My all-scrub Yankee infield would be as follows:
    1b Curt Blefary
    2nd Horace Clarke
    SS Tom Tresh
    3b Jerry Kenny
    Mgr Johnny Keane

Whitey was money and leave my #15 alone that was my number when I played. Only he played left I played 3rd. I don't remember Tommy Tresh playing SS he was a left fielder by trade. Could be wrong long time ago I'll check.
    edited April 2015
    DeadMoney wrote: »
    Yeah the Yankees have some players. I grew up with Jeter and he is the captain! 12 years as the yanks captain, most ever. You've seen more ball than I have and I would say Berra but some of his numbers are better than Jet. He should be mentioned, that is all.

Your right, but when you get a chance go to Wikipedia and look up Yogi Berra
    edited April 2015
    Your Right Ron but he didn't play SS long also play very little 3rd base https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Tresh ROY Also give #15 him a break.
    edited April 2015
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitey_Ford

236-106 2.75 ERA Cy Young World Seriers MVP 10X All star
    In all fairness in those days they had 2 all start games a year can't remember for how long or when it stop but I remember.