Betting Talk

Old Fart Baseball Trivia

13»

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Yankee expert.

Big bro was BoSox fan and father was NYY fan. Grew up as today ..........rooting for my pocket.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    What did the "Splendid Splinter" do in his last ab prior to retirement?

He Homered I believe
    edited December 2014
    St Louis--Harry Caray or Jack Buck or Dizzy Dean
    San Diego-Jerry Coleman
    Philly-Harry Kalas

Can't argue with any of the above. However, prior to HKalas, I'd take Byron Saum as the Phillie man.
  • pettifoggerpettifogger Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    What Detroit player was given the nickname "Sunday"?

Tough one, but it made me recall Don Mossi which led me to another question.Who was the ugliest player of the '50's ?
    edited December 2014
    Bobby Shantz

He be da liddle man.
    edited December 2014
    Tough one, but it made me recall Don Mossi which led me to another question.Who was the ugliest player of the '50's ?

He's it with those ears.:toast:

"Sunday" Charlie Maxwell
    edited December 2014
    Spahn or Burdette?

Lew went all 13 with Haddix.
    edited December 2014
    If not EMathews it hadda be Hammerin Hank .....maybe Billy Bruton

It was Burdette. He won 3 games. At least he won the Corvette.
    edited December 2014
    Big bro was BoSox fan and father was NYY fan. Grew up as today ..........rooting for my pocket.

Were you making book in the 5th grade ?
    edited December 2014
    Prolly atleast 150 pitches. Today, the player's union files mutliple grievances for the cruel and unusual punishment on the arm. Later.....
    edited December 2014
    He's it with those ears.:toast:

"Sunday" Charlie Maxwell

Gus Triandos must be 1st runner-up. Who was the female who was so ugly she was called "Gus Triandos with tits".
    edited December 2014
    Too bad OT's still in bed. He's missing out.
    edited December 2014
    Were you making book in the 5th grade ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md2vBiNm7W0
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    The Mick in DC

565 feet. He had forearms like tree trunks. Ron remember his brother Roy who I worked with and he dealt 21.
    edited December 2014

Mantle was a god to me. Remember his 59 Topps card #10 with the red background, my favorite. As I grew up I discovered his human foibles. Reading the recent bio showed he could be a grade-A asshole. Still he was the Mick and that's more than good enough for me.
    edited December 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    565 feet. He had forearms like tree trunks. Ron remember his brother Roy who I worked with and he dealt 21.

Do you remember the Streets and Smiths with the diagram of the shot ?
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Do you remember the Streets and Smiths with the diagram of the shot ?

No can't say that I remember. I worked with his brother and Roy was a real nice guy and his health was failing at that time and he showed up for work every day and never complained and I always wanted to say does your brother help you out any . It was common knowledge that Mick and Roy didn't speak but it's your brother and he could hardy walk and was having a bad time.

I remember one day in the break room he was going on Vacation back home and we talked a lot not about his brother but things in general and of course baseball. So forgetting that he didn't talk to his brother I said what's my chance of getting Micky to sign a baseball for me. I was still dealing at the time and we had lockers as dealers and I always had baseballs in my locker. To get off the subject for a second I taught Ken Griffey Jr how to play craps and had the floor get a ball signed which if caught you could get fired but what a nice kid he was that was his rooking year.

Anyway Roy says no problem so I give him the ball and he comes back from vacation and I never get the autograph or the ball back and I wasn't going to ask for the ball didn't want to embarrass him. I loved the Mick so it hurt to hear some of the things that were said and I'm sure most were true.