Betting Talk

Rebs notes

13»

Comments

• TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Rebels still look to be very much work in progress. Too much standing around on offense while 1 guy dribbles and jukes. End of regulation was ridiculous-- don't run a play, don't pass the ball, just dribble and then chunk up 3 pointer from half-way back to Nevada. They didn't deserve to win, but was nevertheless a bad beat-- once again overtime is where dogs crawl off to die.

In response to your comments (BTD, Cpech, & Ron), here is my take to this point

Rice wanted the ball in Vaughn's hands for the last possession but wanted him to drive to the basket and create not take an NBA three off the dribble from out of the backcourt. The play IMO should have run through Wood in the paint and if he was double teamed then a kick out to Vaughn or McCaw on the wing. What you have to remember with this team and these kids as talented as they are...they have never played together before, really the only experienced "time" on the court from THIS team last season is Wood and Kendrick, the rest are all transfers or freshman (except for the walk ons). So when you think about it they have been learning as they go. Rice is no doubt great at recruiting, he too has been learning on the job as you also have to remember this is his first head coaching position so between the players he inherited and the large turnover of players the first few years has definitely taken its toll to this point. This year is key on seeing how many of these talented freshman remain, who does or does not enter the draft and they already have a top recruit committed for next season with the possibility of adding Zimmerman. I'm willing to be a bit more patient, most who understand are in the same camp and also understand that at the end of last year we almost stood to lose a lot if not all these same talented kids if the university didn't sign him to the new contract and instead let him go to S Fla.

I like the fact that he knew he had to get rid of the me only players ie., BDJ (personally I think he actually has hurt the Cyclones to this point) among the others that either transferred or left the program for various reasons. Too many of the fan base expected him to turn this around into a direct replica of the national championship team he played on overnight. A big step was also made with the changes in staff that he made off season. Lets see how they wind up in the 2H of the season and then assess what type of coach he is and the character of the team at that point. On a side note, how about the job Turgeon has done with Maryland this year...believe they are the biggest surprise so far in the B10 even if they did cost me against the Illini ;)
    edited January 2015
    I'm a glutton for punishment...but Curtis Terry tweet about "the comeback" inspired me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i03Drg7fOok&feature=youtu.be
    edited January 2015
    Marist primed for 1st conference win today, Hart has a couple of games under his belt since back from injury, team has still been competing covering last two.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Reb I'll politely disagree with your opinion on BDJ. Coach Hoiberg has gotten him to play unselfish basketball and he's been nothing but an asset to our program. His off the court choices dont always make much sense but he's adapted to Hoiball well.

As for UNLV I saw much of the same yesterday. When they play as a team things go somewhat well for them. Too much selfish play in the 2nd half and the freshmen in them really showed. I'll keep my hopes up for them but I'm secretly smiling and wish I could ask Vaughn if that UNLV money is more important than winning that he wouldve done at ISU.
    edited January 2015
    These panthers have never played at Cameron, and this is not the best Dixon has had in awhile...meanwhile, Blue Devils are entering this after having regained their swagger at Louisville...expect this to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-60
    edited January 2015
    In the words of John Candy when he takes his shoes off next to Steve Martin on the plane in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles "my dogs are barking today" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd5dYQHoZS0 or how about Al Pacino in "Dog Day Afternoon" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF1rtd8_pxA ... two classics! Obviously I believe all those dogs are live today but if you held a gun to my head and asked if I had to pick just one...K ST. would be it, they have shown they got what it takes to win in conference on the road as they beat a tough Sooner squad, now they get the Cyclones after there big win against the Jayhawks...if IA ST. wins I doubt it will be by double digits IMO. GL!