Betting Talk

Did You Know ?

pettifoggerpettifogger Senior Member
edited August 2014 in Sports Betting
DYK?
HOF qb Sid Luckman was from Brooklyn where his dad owned a big trucking company. After high school he attended Columbia University where he became an All-American single wing qb. After being drafted by the Bears Halas converted him to the T-formation and he made All-Pro and HOF. In 1943 he threw 7 td passes in one game an NFL record that hasn't been broken. His old man never saw Sid play a single college or NFL game. Wasn't he a proud father? Well, yes he was, but unfortunately Pops was doing a lifer at Sing-Sing for murdering his brother-in law. Daddy and his trucks were mobbed up and he caught his relative dipping into the till. Guess green is thicker than blood. The game that brought Sid to national attention was against Army at Michie Stadium about 20 miles north of the prison. The team train passed just outside the slammer walls on the way to the game.

Comments

• Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Enjoyed the story the Brother-in Law is not blood although family by marriage and you don't steal from Family.
  • pettifoggerpettifogger Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    DYK?
    IN 1961 when Roger Maris hit 61 homers Tiger Norm Cash won the AL batting title hitting .361. Norm went to high school in Post Texas. Post's other claim to fame, besides being 30 miles from my birthplace, was that it was founded in the early 20th century by cereal king C. W. Post. The town was governed by strict communal principles, a bold social experiment for the times. Naturally, it failed due to the founder's failure to remember the ancient maxim that neighbors generally come to hate each other's guts.
    The other cereal magnate, W. K. Kellogg was just as fruit loopy. He was perhaps the foremost advocate of medical quackery in that era. Among his contributions were the Kellogg vibrating chair to treat constipation and the amazing electric prostate heater which is a dead ringer for today's amazing vibrating butt plug.
    Must have been something in the cornflakes.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    and you don't steal from Family.

You don't steal. Period.
    edited July 2014
    Obi One wrote: »
    You don't steal. Period.
    Anyone on here besides me do jail time for theft?
  • ericvandenericvanden Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Obi One wrote: »
    You don't steal. Period.

Bases yes, signs no.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Obi One,

My Reply with quote doesn't work.

Must have been nice growing in the big house on the hill. Where I grew up you stole on occasion. Now tell me you never stole a pack of gum or a pack of Cig's or did you ever get the wrong change and say nothing. Come on we all stole at times in our life. True not talking about big stuff but stealing is stealing. Remember we all have larceny in our hearts and we all have a price.
    edited July 2014
    My stretch resulted from attempting to swipe pop bottles to finance a late night burger run. I and my co-conspirators were 14. The little burg I lived in didn't do juvie. We were thrown in a cell with 2 drunks, a dog killer an one evil lookin' sumbitch Went to court next day and got probation. Punishment from my old man left me walking crooked for a week.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Must have been nice growing in the big house on the hill. Where I grew up you stole on occasion. Now tell me you never stole a pack of gum or a pack of Cig's or did you ever get the wrong change and say nothing. Come on we all stole at times in our life. True not talking about big stuff but stealing is stealing. Remember we all have larceny in our hearts and we all have a price.

You're completely right OT.
    However, when your primary conviction is to not do it at all, it keeps your head and actions straight in those difficult cases when temptation is peeking around the corner.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    and you don't steal from Family.

That is gospel, especially in the NY-Northern Jersey area.
    edited July 2014
    Petti DYK that Oakland's Donaldson has a dad in prison?
    edited July 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Petti DYK that Oakland's Donaldson has a dad in prison?
    What was his rap for?
    edited July 2014
    Woody Harrelson's old man has to win the award for worst celebrity father.
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited July 2014
    Anyone on here besides me do jail time for theft?

This guy. But does it count if I only took what I was owed? Not like I can report to the credit bureaus.
    edited July 2014
    DYK?
    October 20,1956
    Montreal Alouettes ass-whip Hamilton 82-14. All of their points were scored in the 1st 3 quarters. In the rematch two weeks later in Hamilton the Ti-Cats got some payback 50-14. A dime on the Hamilton ML in the 2nd game would have broken the bank.

By the way WTF is an Alouette? Sounds like they should play in tutus.
    edited July 2014
    Jafar wrote: »
    This guy. But does it count if I only took what I was owed? Not like I can report to the credit bureaus.

Fair enuf.
    edited July 2014
    What was his rap for?

Long stretch for drug dealing and woman beating. The A's announcer said that last year was the first time he saw his son play any kind of organized ball.
    edited August 2014
    Surprised nobody mentioned the screw job placed on the Marlins yesterday. Frazier tagging on a soft fly ball and out by 5 feet. Correctly ruled out.....but wait umpires huddle and summon NY for an "advanced ruling". Reversed the call citing homeplate blockage rule and Reds go on to score 3 runs and win the game 3-1. My beef? I had under 3.5 runs in live-betting. Oh well the sports I that once knew and played are rapidly changing. For safety? Yeah, but also to cover the leagues for inevitable lawsuits down the road. Glenn Lerner and Edward M. Bernstein are part of the problem.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited August 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Surprised nobody mentioned the screw job placed on the Marlins yesterday. Frazier tagging on a soft fly ball and out by 5 feet. Correctly ruled out.....but wait umpires huddle and summon NY for an "advanced ruling". Reversed the call citing homeplate blockage rule and Reds go on to score 3 runs and win the game 3-1. My beef? I had under 3.5 runs in live-betting. Oh well the sports I that once knew and played are rapidly changing. For safety? Yeah, but also to cover the leagues for inevitable lawsuits down the road. Glenn Lerner and Edward M. Bernstein are part of the problem.

The rule is brutal. It's bad enough that they are so strict with it but what is a catcher supposed to do when the throw leads you into the base line(which on throws from the right side of the field you want). A couple of these overturned plays that is exactly what happened. It's basic fundamental catching to slide over with the throw. Oops your foot is in the base line before you caught the ball, doesn't matter the runner isn't even in your area code, your blocking his way. Fucking brutal. I know they don't like putting rules out now where umpires/refs have to use common sense and make a decision, but almost all of these overturned plate calls are easy decisions(mostly to not overturn the out). The rule was supposed to stop the situations where the ball and the runner arrive at the same time and the catcher was blocking the plate but they went way too far.
    edited August 2014
    Sometime in the not too distant future a young man arrives home from a summer baseball instructional camp. His dad asks the boy how he had performed. The son hesitantly responds, "Well Dad there was some good but also some bad." Pops asks , "What was the bad?" Junior looks at his feet and mutters, " Well I had at least 2 passed balls in every game." "Sorry to hear that Son. You'll have to work on that. But what was the good ?" Puffing out his chest and beaming with pride the boy states, " I got the top score in ballet class."
    My achin' ass. In the '50's players made an $8,000.00 salary. Their off days were a long train ride to the next city. Starters threw every 4th day and honestly tried to finish what they started. Players didn't hit the DL every time they farted too hard. Today's players are too rich to play the game the way their forefathers intended. And the Fatcat owners are happy with that.
    Sorry to sound like such an unmitigated asshat---just an old dude who had a bad day.