Betting Talk

Can Goats come on and tell us Rory's Dad should have...

waddywaddy Senior Member
edited July 2014 in Sports Betting
hedged his bets and why??
would be epic

Comments

• GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Goats is on his version of "summer break" and doesn't follow golf anyway.

In all seriousness, not around the computer as much these days between the board being slow, not betting bases, and trying to enjoy the summer before my wife goes back to work (she's a teacher).

I know he won The Open after having a 6 stroke lead going into Sunday and it got closer but haven't read anything about his dad's bet. Feel free to leave a link or maybe I'll google it later.

All that said, was that a typo in your thread title? As I'm sure you know, I'll rarely explain why someone SHOULD hedge. :)
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Waddy,
    You're a ballbuster.........but that's ok. I heard about this Sunday night with not too many details. Here's my take:
    With tax implictations, the honorability of a 10 year old "shoot for the sky" wager, the early big lead, I don't believe he could hedge anything close to EV.
    I wonder what the BM wudda gave Obama's dad regarding his son becoming President of the USA?
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Goats wrote: »
    not betting bases

Fuck is this?

RB - Rory was +445, I think, to lose going into final round.

(Yes, I realize moot as hedging joke haha, just providing useless info, as is my wont and forte.)
    edited July 2014
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    With tax implictations

There are no taxes on gambling winnings in the UK.
    Waddy,
    I don't believe he could hedge anything close to EV.

Not sure what this could possibly mean. Obviously you intend to say something about him not being able to get enough down on the edge. But, that doesn't have a shred of a thing to do with EV.

Hedging (as frequently misinterpreted by goats amongst others), is a question of increasing the expected growth of ones bankroll (and if this isn't your goal then you should just light your money on fire). In the case of a large underdog who now has a much bigger chance of winning this will frequently involve -ev wagers. In order to make the proper calculation one needs to know the size of Rory's dads bankroll(net worth), assuming sufficiently large enough the proper hedge can very well be zero.
    edited July 2014
    durito wrote: »
    There are no taxes on gambling winnings in the UK.

Really Professor Durito? WTF is this?

McIlroy snr and three friends are understood to have placed £100 each at around 500/1 on Rory winning the Open before his 26th birthday to net each around £45,000 after taxes.........source Belfast Telegraph
    edited July 2014
    Can't quote, fails at logic, fails at gambling strategy, can't link. You sure you aren't Raiders?

Gambling winnings are not taxed in the UK.
    edited July 2014
    The subject of the conversation involves McIllroy Srs tax implications. Capice? or better yet Comprende?

"With tax implictations"
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    : popcorn:
    edited July 2014
    The subject of the conversation involves McIllroy Srs tax implications. Capice? or better yet Comprende?

"With tax implictations"

Including tax implications I will lay -500 on as much as you want that you can't figure the proper kelly stake on a hedge without help given certain parameters.
    edited July 2014
    Waddy,
    You're a ballbuster.........but that's ok. I heard about this Sunday night with not too many details. Here's my take:
    With tax implictations, the honorability of a 10 year old "shoot for the sky" wager, the early big lead, I don't believe he could hedge anything close to EV.
    I wonder what the BM wudda gave Obama's dad regarding his son becoming President of the USA?

Here's my quote and you shot down the tax portion. Wake up Sonny, 'cause accepting mistakes are part of most ppls lives.
    edited July 2014
    The subject of the conversation is hedging.
    edited July 2014
    I wanna gamble with you ......bad. You just keep coming up with excuses and stips.
    edited July 2014
    Would a third or 4th poster come in here and offer an opinion on Mcillroy Srs tax implications please.
    edited July 2014
    I wanna gamble with you ......bad. You just keep coming up with excuses and stips.

Ok. Take the hedging bet. I will provide the question and a laptop with programming language of your choice available. You solve the problem you win. lollololololol
    edited July 2014
    Stop deflecting and continue your lonely miserable existance in a a 3rd World hole.
    edited July 2014
    Stop deflecting and continue your lonely miserable existance in a a 3rd World hole.

Deflecting what? Take the bet. Can't do an elementary math problem? Not surprised. My 3rd world shithole is 10x nicer than yours (las vegas lolololo)
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited July 2014
    Would a third or 4th poster come in here and offer an opinion on Mcillroy Srs tax implications please.

If the question or statement is that he does not have any tax implications, that is incorrect.
    Gambling wagers in the UK as of 5 years ago were taxable that I know of, and also if he resides in the USA with his son, his winnings are taxable by the good old USA. USA does not allow online gambling outside a few states but does require you to pay taxes on your winnings above losses anywhere in the world.