Betting Talk

NBA Closing Line Value

Obi OneObi One Senior Member
edited May 2014 in Sports Betting
I know the importance of CLV. To me there's no arguing against it. My best sport is the NBA and it's the one sport I'm really putting a lot of time in to become a longterm winner. I have seen somebody post the opining line records versus the closing line records for College Basketball, for the NFL and for MLB and in all those sports it's value was proven. However, I haven't seen it for the NBA. And I have to say, if the Pacers can go 3-23 ATS since the all star break, if the Suns can be at 65% ATS in January and continue their succes at a 65% ATS rate till the end of the season, I highly doubt that the NBA market is an efficient market.

My questions are:
- Does anybody have opening line versus closing line records for the NBA?
- Am I seeing it wrong?
- If your an NBA bettor too, what is your opinion.

*please note: this is not a discussion of whether CLV is important or not.

Comments

• underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    Obi, this year the opener ruled in spreads and totals. people who where pushing the lines (umpu lumpa gang) got spanked, or better yet, like Kudlow used to say on cnbc "Got your face ripped off"
    I highly doubt that the NBA market is an efficient market.

Your right it's not efficient. I can't remember any year that it was.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    underwraps wrote: »
    Your right it's not efficient. I can't remember any year that it was.

So there might be some thruth to Voulgaris' statement that NBA-bookmakers should post an opening line and leave it there. Static. I remember somebody here on BT quoting him on that sentence. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    edited April 2014
    Your right he did say that.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited April 2014
    obi,
    I rely strongly on my own numbers and if the market goes against me. I most of the time stay with it. So if I liked +3, I really like +4.
    Right or wrong that is how I play it.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    Obi, this year the opener ruled in spreads and totals. .

I see a RMSE of 18.13344 (open), 17.17844 (close) for totals and 11.674 (open), 11.656(close) for pinny open/close

Do you see something different?
    edited April 2014
    Obi One wrote: »
    So there might be some thruth to Voulgaris' statement that NBA-bookmakers should post an opening line and leave it there. Static. I remember somebody here on BT quoting him on that sentence. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He said it, along with all of the other non sense and outright lies that come out of his mouth.
    edited April 2014
    - Does anybody have opening line versus closing line records for the NBA?
    - Am I seeing it wrong?
    - If your an NBA bettor too, what is your opinion.

*please note: this is not a discussion of whether CLV is important or not.

What records did you want to see? Adding 1pt to close on either side of closing NBA spreads will win about 54% of the time.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited April 2014
    durito wrote: »
    What records did you want to see? Adding 1pt to close on either side of closing NBA spreads will win about 54% of the time.

What would your record be if you could add 1 point to the opening line ?
    edited April 2014
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    What would your record be if you could add 1 point to the opening line ?

It should be exactly the same, unless there is a bias in opening lines.
    edited April 2014

I think you mean add or subtract 1 point from the opener.
    edited April 2014
    I think you mean add or subtract 1 point from the opener.

No I mean closer. Thus, beat the close.
    edited April 2014
    It should be exactly the same, unless there is a bias in opening lines.

54% ha .. that is why most syndicates playing the NBA this past year are in
    A) in debt to loan sharks
    B) Or live in card boxes in battery park
    edited April 2014
    No I mean closer. Thus, beat the close.

If you beat the close this year on every game you lost.
    edited April 2014
    I'm glad you know so much about syndicates but why don't you ever back up your nonsense with the actual stats. I posted the RMSE for every NBA game this year that refutes your claims.
    edited April 2014

Thanks for the numbers Durito,
    Do you have the ATS numbers for the closers?

Please be patient with me here, what are the RMSE's you posted above saying?
    edited April 2014
    If you beat the close this year on every game you lost.

This doesn't make sense, so impossible to respond.
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for the numbers Durito,
    Do you have the ATS numbers for the closers?

Please be patient with me here, what are the RMSE's you posted above saying?

To compare efficiency of closers versus openers we can use the mean square error. So if team a is -3 and wins by 4, thats a difference of 1 ... each difference is squared so negatives don't cancel out the positives. The average difference tells which set of lines was more accurate.

A smaller number is better. The spread # isn't much better but NBA spread openers are pretty sharp so that's not real surprising.
    edited April 2014
    I'm glad you know so much about syndicates but why don't you ever back up your nonsense with the actual stats. I posted the RMSE for every NBA game this year that refutes your claims.
    You see folks its these stats that keep the loan sharks preying on suckers thinking they can win by beating the close in the NBA.
    Your #s are flawed and i don't know where you got them from. My RMSE #s are both negative.
    edited April 2014
    This doesn't make sense, so impossible to respond.

If you beat the close on every game YOU LOST.. do u understand English
    edited April 2014
    I see a RMSE of 18.13344 (open), 17.17844 (close) for totals and 11.674 (open), 11.656(close) for pinny open/close

Do you see something different?

Thanks for the clarification,
    Looking at these numbers one can conclude that:
    - the totals are weaker than the spreads,
    - the spread opener and closer have a neglectable difference.
    edited April 2014

Easy guys, didn't want to start a fire. Let's see where the 2 of you can agree on when it comes to the NBA markets. This is not tweeting, so you have more than 140 characters to bring a point across.
    edited April 2014

So if I had -4 and +6 on a game that closed at 5 did they BOTH LOSE?
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for the clarification,
    Looking at these numbers one can conclude that:
    - the totals are weaker than the spreads,
    - the spread opener and closer have a neglectable difference.

Pretty much, I can give you #'s for a few more years in a minute as one is a pretty small sample.
    edited April 2014
    So if I had -4 and +6 on a game that closed at 5 did they BOTH LOSE?

come on man.. really why you stretching that far
    edited April 2014
    come on man.. really why you stretching that far

What am I stretching. Your statement is nonsense.

If you mean to say: If you bet every game with an x amount move from open to close you finished down. Fine, givie me some #'s and I will test it.

But your statement as it is is absurd. If you had 2pts better than the total close and bet over on every game you went 55%
    edited April 2014
    Underwraps,

You seem to know the numbers of some NBA syndicates, are they betting sides mostly or totals? And any verifiable idea how Bob Voulgaris has really been doing this year? I read his most recent blog post and his insight into the game really is something extraordinary. That much knowledge can't be losing bets imho. But I might be wrong off course.

Durito,
    Have you ever tried compiling a 'market-power-ranking'. With that I mean: Make a power-ranking based on the spread and their movement alone. Is that something that's possible?
    edited April 2014
    If you mean to say: If you bet every game with an x amount move from open to close you finished down. Fine, givie me some #'s and I will test it.
    Yes this is what I meant to say sorry about the confusion. Look at all sides that moved 1.5 or more and all totals that moved 2 or more points either way -/+
    edited April 2014
    Underwraps,

You seem to know the numbers of some NBA syndicates, are they betting sides mostly or totals? And any verifiable idea how Bob Voulgaris has really been doing this year? I read his most recent blog post and his insight into the game really is something extraordinary. That much knowledge can't be losing bets imho. But I might be wrong off course.

Obi, the syndicates this year mostly got hurt on totals and I have no idea what they where trying to accomplish, but it ended in tears for them.
    Bob won, but not as much as last year.
    edited April 2014
    edited April 2014
    Yes this is what I meant to say sorry about the confusion. Look at all sides that moved 1.5 or more and all totals that moved 2 or more points either way -/+

Totals:

Unders 155-124-2
    Overs 160-98-2

Will do sides later.