Betting Talk

TommyL's March College Basketball Plays

TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
edited April 2014 in Sports Betting
Updated Record: 254-214-4 (+18.6 units unweighted, +10.75 units weighted) Average CLV: +.25

Plays for Friday, 3/1

831. Harvard +6 Princeton
835. Fairfield -1 Manhattan 1.5 UNITS

Note that I already posted these plays in my February thread and am just pasting them in here (so they aren't additional plays/plays at a stale line).

Comments

• zkc100zkc100 Member
    edited March 2013
    Hey Tommy, PSU going to start getting any better? Looks like we got a good recruiting class (for psu standards) coming in next year. All guards again though, i feel like we need to get a big guy badly. I know thats not chambers style, but we need 1 or 2 who can move up and down the floor.

Related to your threads, apprecaite the plays. Have you had more success in the past in the beginning of the year before the lines catch up, or you don't really see a significant edge in the beginning vs end of the season?
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited March 2013
    zkc100 wrote: »
    Hey Tommy, PSU going to start getting any better? Looks like we got a good recruiting class (for psu standards) coming in next year. All guards again though, i feel like we need to get a big guy badly. I know thats not chambers style, but we need 1 or 2 who can move up and down the floor.

Related to your threads, apprecaite the plays. Have you had more success in the past in the beginning of the year before the lines catch up, or you don't really see a significant edge in the beginning vs end of the season?

I've always had the most success the first month or so of the season. I spend a ton of time in the summer/fall months researching stuff and putting together my power ratings, and think it really pays off (I don't spend any time capping football). It's just a time of the year where so many others are spread so thin between NBA/NHL/NFL/CFB, that I think I have a bigger advantage. This time of year, the lines are much tighter and everyone that's using a model already has all of their data to generate numbers. I think it's still possible to win right now, but it's a lot more difficult.

I could talk all day about PSU hoops. I know that Chambers would love to have a good big guy, but there are probably about 300 other teams in D1 that really need a good big guy right now. I never thought I'd say it, but I really wish that Sasa was coming back for one more year, he's really stared to give them what they need at the 5. I like a lot of the pieces of next year's team, as I think that Frazier/Newbill/Marshall will give them a B1G caliber starting backcourt and Johnson/Thorpe/Woodyard will give them some nice options off the bench. Travis is starting to come into his own and I really think that he can be a solid 4, and I think that Taylor would be a great guy to bring off the bench at the 4. But instead, they'll probably be forced to go with Taylor at the 5, and be giving up a ton of size inside (as I just don't think that Graham/Jack/Ackerman/Moore will be a reliable 5). They still have too many similiar parts in the backcourt (Frazier/Newbill/Marshall are all "drive-first" guards that don't shoot the 3 that well), but they'll be a lot better.

I thought that Chambers was really turning the corner when he landed the Brandon Austin commit. Then, we he backed out, Frazier got hurt, and the season went into a tailspin. As someone on PennStateHoops pointed out, it seems like we've turned the corner so many times that we're basically going in a circle (the 95/96 team and the opening of the BJC, the 2001 S16 run, the 2009 NIT title and Buie committing that night, getting the commit from Trey Burke, getting the commit from Austin, etc). I love Chambers' energy and know that he has better Philly connections than anyone that we've ever had, however I'm still not sold on his ability to develop talent and his in-game coaching (I thougt the DeChellis/Kanaskie combination did a much better job in that regard). But I'm consistantly amazed at PC's ability to motivate his guys, they could have easily mailed in the rest of the season but they're playing their best ball of the year right now.
  • zkc100zkc100 Member
    edited March 2013
    Yea i was very disappointed when Austin de-committed. Sasha has impressed me as well, still a bit soft however. We need that big that can defend.
    edited March 2013
    Updated Record: 255-215-4 (+18.5 units unweighted, +10.1 units weighted) Average CLV: +.25

Plays for Saturday, 3/2

521. Tennessee -1.5 Georgia
    535. Penn State +15.5 Minnesota 1.5 UNITS
    545. Indiana State +4 Evansville
    560. Houston -3.5 Marshall
    572. USC -3 Arizona State
    585. Saint Louis -6 George Washington 1.5 UNITS
    589. UNLV -5.5 Nevada
    594. New Mexico -11 Wyoming 1.5 UNITS
    613. Middle Tennessee State -6.5 Western Kentucky
    623. Akron -6.5 Buffalo
    649. Colorado State +1.5 Boise State
    652. Creighton -5.5 Wichita State
    654. Drake -5.5 Southern Illinois
    684. Hawaii -4 Cal Poly SLO
    723. Eastern Kentucky E Tennessee State
  • nestles3nestles3 Member
    edited March 2013
    723 Eastern Ky ??
    edited March 2013
    A couple more for today...

515. Butler +8 VCU
    585. St Louis -5 George Washington .5 UNIT (adding another half unit to make it a 2 unit play)
    601. Colorado +5 California
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I couldn't make it down to the Jays game as we couldn't get a sitter but man it should be a great one. house will be noisy and beers will be flowing! GL today tommyL.
  • organic313organic313 Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Lets gooooooooooooo!
    edited March 2013
    Will update record later...

Plays for Sunday, 3/3

825. DePaul +4 South Florida
    829. Virginia -4 Boston College
    832. Stanford -11.5 Utah
  • BennyProfaneBennyProfane Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Tommy,
    What's your take on the Michigan game? I've heard that Ninja runners have been betting the game in Vegas. Do you like either side?
    edited March 2013
    Tommy,
    What's your take on the Michigan game? I've heard that Ninja runners have been betting the game in Vegas. Do you like either side?

Think the line is right. Michigan should be the better team, but theyve been in a little funk. I think they win, but it should be close.
    edited March 2013
    Updated Record: 261-228-5 (+10.2 units unweighted, +2.25 units weighted) Average CLV: +.23

One play for Monday, 3/4

Montana -2 Southern Utah
    edited March 2013
    Updated Record: 262-228-5 (+11.2 units unweighted, +3.25 units weighted) Average CLV: +.24

Plays for Tuesday, 3/5 (One of my favorite days of the year, the start of conference tournies)

514. Notre Dame -8.5 St. John's
    516. Clemson -4 Boston College
    545. Loyola-Chicago +2 Youngstown St (they had enough trouble beating them with Kendrick Perry, gonna be real tough to do it a 3rd time without him)
    563. Longwood +14 UNC-Asheville 1.5 UNITS
    566. Campbell -3 Presbyterian 1.5 UNITS
    edited March 2013
    I won't count these in my record since the lines aren't widely available, however I'll give my thoughts on the Conference Tourney futures when I can...

If you trust Pomeroy's log5 numbers, then Charleston Southern @ +250 (5Dimes) in the Big South has a little bit of value (Ken gives them a 31.6% chance of winning the tourney). I really like their draw too, as the 3 biggest threats to them are all on the other side of the bracket, and the only team that should realistically challenge them in the bottom half of the draw (UNC Asheville) has really limped home. The title game could give them trouble with High Point or a matchup with Coastal Carolina in Myrtle Beach, however I think they have even better than the 50.5% chance of reaching the Championship game that Ken gives them.

The Horizon really should come down to Valpo or Detroit unless something really surprising happens, however I don't see any value on either of them.
  • justinjustin Member
    edited March 2013
    would longwood @ +13 still be a play? thanks for all your hard work.
    edited March 2013
    justin wrote: »
    would longwood @ +13 still be a play? thanks for all your hard work.

I would have probably made it a 1 unit play at 13.
    edited March 2013
    TommyL wrote: »
    If you trust Pomeroy's log5 numbers, then Charleston Southern @ +250 (5Dimes) in the Big South has a little bit of value (Ken gives them a 31.6% chance of winning the tourney).

I guess some others thought that it had more than just "a little bit of value". They're now sitting at +150.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Stuckey tweeted out Charl South +250 this am
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    kane wrote: »
    Stuckey tweeted out Charl South +250 this am

well that explains it.... MELT
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Hey Tommy, I'd like your opinion on something if you get a chance. I'm liking UTEP against Memphis tonight, the thing I'm trying to figure out is Tim Floyd interviewed with USC yesterday, obv his players will be aware of this. How do you think this affects a team mentally? I mean he has to address his team, I can't believe nothing will be mentioned at all about the USC interview. Anyway, it looks like the sharps don't care as the line has dropped from the opener, so smarter guys than myself don't seem to be bothered by it, but I don't know. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    edited March 2013
    kane wrote: »
    Hey Tommy, I'd like your opinion on something if you get a chance. I'm liking UTEP against Memphis tonight, the thing I'm trying to figure out is Tim Floyd interviewed with USC yesterday, obv his players will be aware of this. How do you think this affects a team mentally? I mean he has to address his team, I can't believe nothing will be mentioned at all about the USC interview. Anyway, it looks like the sharps don't care as the line has dropped from the opener, so smarter guys than myself don't seem to be bothered by it, but I don't know. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I always have trouble trying to figure out the psychology of 18-23 year olds. Do they come out flat, knowing that their coach might be bailing on them? Or do they come out with a chip on their shoulder and an "us against the world" mentality? You'd have to think that a situation like this certainly isn't a positive for them, however I think it's tough to say how much of an impact it will have once the ball goes up in the air.
  • beefcakebeefcake Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Wow, hell of a call Tommy. Took VMI at +2000 to win the tourney..Duggar Bacom always puts on his coaching hat this time of year,Now that Asheville went down I hope they can beat Longwood and get into the Semis, where I could hedge.Also like Campbell as a darkhorse, they have talent, just fell apart the second half of the year.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I would have probably made it a 1 unit play at 13.

Can we get an easy one once in a while please.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited March 2013
    beefcake wrote: »
    Took VMI at +2000 to win the tourney. I hope they can beat Longwood and get into the Semis, where I could hold on to my +EV bet and not hedge the value away.

Fixed your post for you beef. :)
  • beefcakebeefcake Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Lol...
    edited March 2013
    Updated Record: 265-229-6 (+13.1 units unweighted, +6.15 units weighted) Average CLV: +.24

Plays for Wednesday, 3/6

733. Georgetown +1.5 Villanova
    747. Rhode Island +9 St. Joseph's
    769. West Virginia +11.5 Oklahoma
    775. Tennessee -5 Auburn
    791. Loyola Marymount -1 Portland

Still waiting for the ASun, NEC, and Patriot games to hit the board, so will likely have some more when they do.
  • jimbjimb Junior Member
    edited March 2013
    Updated Record: 265-229-6 (+13.1 units unweighted, +6.15 units weighted) Average CLV: +.24

Plays for Wednesday, 3/6

733. Georgetown +1.5 Villanova
    747. Rhode Island +9 St. Joseph's
    769. West Virginia +11.5 Oklahoma
    775. Tennessee -5 Auburn
    791. Loyola Marymount -1 Portland

Still waiting for the ASun, NEC, and Patriot games to hit the board, so will likely have some more when they do.
    thanks for the picks tommy. RI down to 8.5. How low would you go?
  • payrollpayroll Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Thank goodness the Fighting Camels of Campbell held off the Blue Hose of Presbyterian. Nice calls. Thanks for the plays.
    edited March 2013
    jimb wrote: »
    Probably no lower than 8.5, but i would play 8.5.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited March 2013
    jimb wrote: »

You might also consider adding more outs if that's an option to you. CRIS/BM had 9 for over an hour after your post.